Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Crean Recruitment in the Midwest?

I don't understand your question. I'm telling you I don't think you have to go to Florida to find a kid who did for the 2012 and 2013 teams what Sheehey did for them. On his own, he wasn't a great player. He was a role player on a very good team. Do you know that Russell Byrd or Donnie Hale couldn't have done for IU what Sheehey did? It doesn't matter one bit what they did where they were because circumstances were completely different.

OIadipo guarded the other team's best. Every time, all the time. And Sheehey wasn't a great defender. He was fine. So was Luke Jiminez. All I'm saying - again - is you don't have to go to Florida to find a player who did for that team what he did. I am not bashing nor discounting Will Sheehey. Jeesus.

I made the question clear. Yes, I'm sure those two couldn't have done what Sheehey did in the same role, they don't even belong in the same conversation as him. I was unaware Oladipo played every minute of every game. And I understand you are in no way a Sheehey fan, that's fine, I just think you are underselling him A LOT. This all started with me answering to you saying that you could find them in Indiana, which at that time you couldn't get someone bc that class had nobody that would have fit his role. That's all I've got for you Old Friend....agree to disagree.

If we want to be a national program, we need to recruit nationally.  Restricting recruiting to one location is a majorly bad idea.

As for the Will Sheehey talk....you need look no further than his IU teams.  3 stars from out of state were Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey.  4 stars on that team from Indiana were Derek Elston and Jeremy Hollowell.  Which two would you rather have?

I don't care if the player is from Indiana or Uranus.  I want the best players.  To say they all need to be from Indiana or the midwest is a recipe for a Mid Major.

I really don't think the problem is where the kids are from as much as the lack of focus on roster needs.

.If we could  balance classes and target 3 or 4 players per class as the positions dictate we wouldn't have the problems we've had the last two years.

We needed to sign a point and a 5 this year and so far haven't done it.Hopefully we sign Bryant.

I would like to see more local kids on the team and the next 2 classes might remedy that if we can haul them in.

Loved Will as a role player but would quickly trade a third of his points for crafty senior leadership. I also am not sure I agree that he had bball IQ but I usually associate that with on and off court leadership so that might be why I discount that.

I prefer Indiana kids but could live with others is they lead us to consistent high level winning. We are getting neither

Going by that list no program in the B1G is even close to us in money spent on basketball recruiting. Making the situation we're in even more maddening. :angry: :shout: :help: :banghead:

Its because of the distance we travel. Most of those schools mostly stay in an area.

If we want to be a national program, we need to recruit nationally.  Restricting recruiting to one location is a majorly bad idea.

As for the Will Sheehey talk....you need look no further than his IU teams.  3 stars from out of state were Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey.  4 stars on that team from Indiana were Derek Elston and Jeremy Hollowell.  Which two would you rather have?

I don't care if the player is from Indiana or Uranus.  I want the best players.  To say they all need to be from Indiana or the midwest is a recipe for a Mid Major.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin and Michigan St. are building their rosters off of Midwest players and making Final Fours... Not to mention the Midwest players on teams like Duke and Kentucky. Mid-majors, indeed.

I made the question clear. Yes, I'm sure those two couldn't have done what Sheehey did in the same role, they don't even belong in the same conversation as him. I was unaware Oladipo played every minute of every game. And I understand you are in no way a Sheehey fan, that's fine, I just think you are underselling him A LOT. This all started with me answering to you saying that you could find them in Indiana, which at that time you couldn't get someone bc that class had nobody that would have fit his role. That's all I've got for you Old Friend....agree to disagree.

Wow.   You sure create a lot of arguments and put words in other people's mouths in order to make a point.   How am I in no way a Sheehey fan?   What have I possibly said that would lead you to that conclusion?   In fact, I even said "I really liked him."  Doesn't mean I think we had to go to Florida to get him; and I think out of area players don't necessarily understand what it means to play at Indiana like most of the more local kids do.   You're having to spin that an awful lot in order to make a point.   I gave you 6 or 7 guys who could have filled that role.  You don't have to agree, but it doesn't make you right.   Especially when you tell us you're "sure" that other kids - Indiana All Stars - could not do the same thing.  You're "sure?"   Hhhmmm...   

And your question came across like a Homer Simpson quote I love :  "first you didn't want me to buy the pony.   Now you want me to take it back!.  Make up your mind!"    

Of all of the criticism... Recruiting the state is the one that just makes absolutely no sense. That's one of the things this staff has done really well.

People were saying the same things ten years ago. It will always be a complaint.

Of all of the criticism... Recruiting the state is the one that just makes absolutely no sense. That's one of the things this staff has done really well.

People were saying the same things ten years ago. It will always be a complaint.

Really well? I would say he has done a solid job but not really well. He's missed on some players Harris, Davis, and Dunham stick out to me. He's also recruited some kids that didn't do so well in Hollowell and Patterson.

Wow. You sure create a lot of arguments and put words in other people's mouths in order to make a point. How am I in no way a Sheehey fan? What have I possibly said that would lead you to that conclusion? In fact, I even said "I really liked him." Doesn't mean I think we had to go to Florida to get him; and I think out of area players don't necessarily understand what it means to play at Indiana like most of the more local kids do. You're having to spin that an awful lot in order to make a point. I gave you 6 or 7 guys who could have filled that role. You don't have to agree, but it doesn't make you right. Especially when you tell us you're "sure" that other kids - Indiana All Stars - could not do the same thing. You're "sure?" Hhhmmm...

And your question came across like a Homer Simpson quote I love : "first you didn't want me to buy the pony. Now you want me to take it back!. Make up your mind!"

Ok I'm done. I'm not understanding where you're coming from and you aren't understanding me. I'm sorry I put words in your mouth, and I was in no way trying to argue. I just wanted to make my point and you wanted to make yours. Unfortunately we don't understand each other and that's ok. You're still my Old Friend, ya know. ELE

Take a look at the kids he's missed and tell me what IU could have done with them.   He doesn't have to get all of them, but he has to prioritize them and be willing to make room for a Gary Harris, who initially wanted to come here.   And you have to listen to the coaches who tell you Jeremy Hollowell is lazy and keep that spot open for Harris.   You have to get Trevon Blueitt (who also wanted to come).   You have to see kids like Dee Davis and Bryant McIntosh (neither were heavily recruited by Indiana).   You just can't go for the obvious kids like Blackmon or Yogi or Zeller.   And you cannot let Trey Lyles de-commit and choose Kentucky when your backup plans end up being Jeremiah April and Tim Priller.    "Really well" is a very large stretch.

Take a look at the kids he's missed and tell me what IU could have done with them. He doesn't have to get all of them, but he has to prioritize them and be willing to make room for a Gary Harris, who initially wanted to come here. And you have to listen to the coaches who tell you Jeremy Hollowell is lazy and keep that spot open for Harris. You have to get Trevon Blueitt (who also wanted to come). You have to see kids like Dee Davis and Bryant McIntosh (neither were heavily recruited by Indiana). You just can't go for the obvious kids like Blackmon or Yogi or Zeller. And you cannot let Trey Lyles de-commit and choose Kentucky when your backup plans end up being Jeremiah April and Tim Priller. "Really well" is a very large stretch.

agree with most but april and priller were not backup plans to lyles decommiting, vonleh and fischer was the backup plans for that. I think priller and april was the backup plan for losing vonleh and fischer

agree with most but april and priller were not backup plans to lyles decommiting, vonleh and fischer was the backup plans for that. I think priller and april was the backup plan for losing vonleh and fischer

Vonleh was a one year rental.   So I disagree with that.   Fischer was the backup...I'll agree.  Priller and April were "desperate plan B" and both are unworthy of a spot on a Big Ten roster right now.