Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Big Bad Wolf

Email Fred Glass and let him know how you feel

Eh, I could care less about the grammar police. I wrote this post on my phone while riding in a car. The point was instead of everyone just complaining on message boards, direct it at someone who can actually do something about it.

Is that too Kentucky like? Maybe but I hear that they have pretty high expectations for their basketball program.

High expectations for basketball; low expectations for education.

I was mostly just saying that if we're going to sound off, let's ensure we sound like the educated basketball fans we are.

Added a little more and made a few changes before I hit "send." Here's what I said:

Hello Mr. Glass,

I am deeply concerned about the future of our basketball program. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, but I really don't think you're best served by continuing to employ Coach Crean. He's a tireless worker and I'm sure he's given you everything he can, but his style of coaching and program management isn't going to help Indiana reach the level of teams that are still playing. 

Look at Michigan State, Wisconsin, Louisville, Arizona and Kentucky among others. Indiana used to be no worse than on par with those programs. Not anymore. Sean Miller has won 69 games in the last two seasons. John Calipari is at 67 going into next weekend. We've won 37 in the same timeframe. What's wrong with this picture?

Remember when Billy Gillispie coached at Kentucky? He went 40-27 in his two seasons there with a first round NCAA tournament loss and an NIT appearance. Compare that to Coach Crean's last two seasons: 37-29, first round NCAA loss and no postseason at all one year. That wasn't good enough at Kentucky. Why is it good enough here?

In 16 years of coaching, Coach Crean has taken a team beyond the Sweet 16 only once. His teams have finished fifth or worse in conference play as many times as they've finished fifth or higher. I don't know about you, but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence going forward. 

Please, please make a change before it's too late. I've been a fan my whole life, but I'm not sure I can handle another year of watching other programs outperform us while we sit at home and wonder what needs to happen for us to reach their level. Again, Coach Crean has given us nothing but his best since he came here, but I worry that another year of this will do more harm than good. We may have a strong team next year, but then what? Coach Crean's track record says a rough year will likely follow. By then, it may be too late to target suitable replacements. Indiana fans are a very demanding bunch, and this job isn't for the faint of heart. Coach Crean tried, but ultimately I don't see it ending well for him here if he stays. I believe he can flourish in a place where fans will appreciate his hard work without demanding so much from him, and I think we owe it to him and his family to help him find it.  

Think about the big picture and pull the trigger. 

Sincerely,
(my name)

I concede.

No worries. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. Doesn't make either of us bad people. No need to concede for what you believe. I would hope spelling doesn't define a person. After it a mistake is just that.

No worries. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. Doesn't make either of us bad people. No need to concede for what you believe. I would hope spelling doesn't define a person. After it a mistake is just that.

The Army has taught me that a crime of even slightly mis-sized font is worth a public (tongue) lashing, so...

Added a little more and made a few changes before I hit "send." Here's what I said:

Hello Mr. Glass,

I am deeply concerned about the future of our basketball program. Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job, but I really don't think you're best served by continuing to employ Coach Crean. He's a tireless worker and I'm sure he's given you everything he can, but his style of coaching and program management isn't going to help Indiana reach the level of teams that are still playing.

Look at Michigan State, Wisconsin, Louisville, Arizona and Kentucky among others. Indiana used to be no worse than on par with those programs. Not anymore. Sean Miller has won 69 games in the last two seasons. John Calipari is at 67 going into next weekend. We've won 37 in the same timeframe. What's wrong with this picture?

Remember when Billy Gillispie coached at Kentucky? He went 40-27 in his two seasons there with a first round NCAA tournament loss and an NIT appearance. Compare that to Coach Crean's last two seasons: 37-29, first round NCAA loss and no postseason at all one year. That wasn't good enough at Kentucky. Why is it good enough here?

In 16 years of coaching, Coach Crean has taken a team beyond the Sweet 16 only once. His teams have finished fifth or worse in conference play as many times as they've finished fifth or higher. I don't know about you, but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence going forward.

Please, please make a change before it's too late. I've been a fan my whole life, but I'm not sure I can handle another year of watching other programs outperform us while we sit at home and wonder what needs to happen for us to reach their level. Again, Coach Crean has given us nothing but his best since he came here, but I worry that another year of this will do more harm than good. We may have a strong team next year, but then what? Coach Crean's track record says a rough year will likely follow. By then, it may be too late to target suitable replacements. Indiana fans are a very demanding bunch, and this job isn't for the faint of heart. Coach Crean tried, but ultimately I don't see it ending well for him here if he stays. I believe he can flourish in a place where fans will appreciate his hard work without demanding so much from him, and I think we owe it to him and his family to help him find it.

Think about the big picture and pull the trigger.

Sincerely,

(my name)

This is perfect. Factual, reasonable and eloquent.

My next email was going to be me inviting him to commit seppuku, but I think I will go more this route.