Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierPT

I want Tom Crean to stay

Thats all good and fun but it isn't good enough. I feel your expectations and standards for what IU should be are too low. We need to be a consistent contender for a national championship (ala Duke, UNC, UK, KU, etc). With Crean at the helm, what have you seen, other than one "great" year, that tells you he has what it takes to get us there?

We all want titles. I'm not at all lowering standards for what IU should be. I'm not going to ignore that to be a team who consistently gets 1-4 seeds year in and year out it takes time. And to answer anyone's question yes it can take longer than 7 years to find that consistency.

What makes me believe he can build that? He had 2 years where we achieved more in a regular season than an iu coach in 2 decades. We have a team like that next year.

If you think this team won't achieve anything next year past sweet 16 with the core (yogi/JBJ/Troy) and Bryant I think you're being as willfully ignorant as anyone who you consider is a blind crean follower.

Like anything there's grey area and both of the extremes ignore that. Crean is not an aloof coach with no business being the coach at Indiana just like anyone we replace with Crean isn't as likely to end up with worse results than Crean. It goes both ways but that is how it is in the season of conjecture.

We all want titles. I'm not at all lowering standards for what IU should be. I'm not going to ignore that to be a team who consistently gets 1-4 seeds year in and year out it takes time. And to answer anyone's question yes it can take longer than 7 years to find that consistency.

What makes me believe he can build that? He had 2 years where we achieved more in a regular season than an iu coach in 2 decades. We have a team like that next year.

what has Crean done in the regular season outside of 1 bigten championship? What happened in the other regular season you are referencing?

People that use the "20" years argument don't mention that Crean has occupied 7/20 years. Before that were championships

what has Crean done in the regular season outside of 1 bigten championship? What happened in the other regular season you are referencing?

People that use the "20" years argument don't mention that Crean has occupied 7/20 years. Before that were championships

when I use the "20" years argument Ive said regardless of who was coaching we have been mediocre for the past 20 so that would include the present coach.

If you think this team won't achieve anything next year past sweet 16 with the core (yogi/JBJ/Troy) and Bryant I think you're being as willfully ignorant as anyone who you consider is a blind crean follower.

Like anything there's grey area and both of the extremes ignore that. Crean is not an aloof coach with no business being the coach at Indiana just like anyone we replace with Crean isn't as likely to end up with worse results than Crean. It goes both ways but that is how it is in the season of conjecture.

Ignorant? All we're going off of is what we've seen from Crean. He's shown us all he can do with a great team is barely get to the S16 with a #1 seed. What makes you think next year will be different?  He had a great team in 12-13 and look how that ended up. If you want to keep him simply because next year might be decent, then you aren't interested in the long term health of the program. Having a good team every few years is not acceptable at IU.  

Three questions:

1) what is crean's philosophy on building a roster?  Ooohhhh, wingy jump...GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME!!!!  OVERSIGN, OVERSIGN, OVERSIGN!!!

2) what is crean's philosophy on offense?  Weave, weave, weave.  Oh, that's not working; okay, let's try street ball.  Crap, a zone; I'm screwed.

3) what is crean's philosophy on defense?  LOL

If you can articulate consistent answers to those three questions you are smarter than me.

Done partially in jest, but doesn't seem too far off sadly.

I think that team is more likely to go to sweet 16 than not go. It should be a fun year in Bloomington regardless of the head coach.

You should buy a membership to Inside The Hall. Bozich has everyone over there in Crean's camp. It is truly pathetic. They love mediocrity.

Do you realize that Wisconsin spends as much on recruiting in a year as Crean does during two weeks in July? We could not beat Wisconsin if we played them 500 times. Wisconsin could beat us with their managers. 

lol

I'm excited about next year, just as I was excited for this year.  I think that Coach and the team overachieved in the beginning of the Season, and then underachieved in Jan and Feb.  It makes sense because we were so young.  Why were we so young? well again that is on Crean with his balance or lack there of, with classes.  Now, next year I like what we have coming in, and I'm excited about what we potentially have coming back, and who else we may have coming in.  

I really want it to work out with Coach Crean, and I do feel his lack of in game coaching is overblown by IU fans, and I also think his inability to recruit the right players is overblown, as well. Because of what Coach did for the program and because he won us an outright Big Ten title 2 years ago, then I am willing to give him next year to show me something.  After that, if success is not obtained then I am sure that Fred Glass would have to let him go, or Crean would step down.  

Upsets the equivalent of Syracuse beating IU happen multiple times every year in the tournament. People on here act like that was an all time great upset when in actuality it doesn't register nationally as a great upset.

Syracuse was the only team that would have beat IU in the tourney that year. Very bad match up for the Hoosiers. 

The other regular season (2011-12) included wins over 3 top 5 teams and a team right behind the B1G pack. A very successful season that included a lot of achievements by players that are revered by many IU fans. The constant dismissal of the teams in 2011-12 and 2012-13 as totally average is frustrating because the players of that era deserve better than to have their achievements be discounted just because the season fell short at end.

The 20 years argument includes the current coach of course. I guess we should say 22 years at this point if we're looking at everything past 92-93 season and yes Crean was around for 7 of those. Just so happens those 7 years included the best 2 year run and only outright B1G title during that time period. 2 years that included some great wins (regular season, yes, but great wins regardless).

I get that many are frustrated and if we went with a different coach I'm fine with it as the results haven't met expectations the past 2 years. What I hate is the dismissal of the Crean teams from 2011-13 and the idea that next years team has no chance of being special. If the core comes back and we add Bryant we will contend for the B1G!

Syracuse was the only team that would have beat IU in the tourney that year. Very bad match up for the Hoosiers.

And yet we barely beat Temple. Look at our last ten games and you'll find we had several really bad games. A lot of teams could have and did beat us at the end of that year.