Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

IUWBB Offseason Updates

Disagree. I love the current form of college basketball and the different varieties that are allowed under the current system. Fast game, slow game, and everything in between.

With 200-300 teams, there aren't enough athletes to have all fast paced games. It still allows for those who with lesser athletic ability to still play a higher level of ball and showcase their talents.

I guess all those colleges outside of the US aren't able to do that... oh wait lol. The fact is that you can play whatever style you still want with a 24 second shot clock. And the average possession in the NBA is about 17 seconds while the average in college is about 18. But that extra 12 seconds allows for so much... we'll nothing to happen that it hurts the game.

There's also nothing wrong with CBB wanting to maintain its own 'brand'.

2 halves/4 quarters, at the end of the day, I don't think it makes or breaks anything (for me personally I mean...I'd watch regardless).

Put me in the bucket of folks who is not a fan of rule changes based on time. For instance, the post-timeout rule the moves the out-of-bounds play to mid-court. Why reward the defense, who just gave up the lead w/5 seconds to go? Make them earn it just like the other team just did. Just because it's at the end of a half/game, why award a special opportunity (aside from trying to generate excitement). From a gamesmanship perspective, I don't like it.

This.  Give me a solid fundamental game that I can get excited over.  I could never quite determine what I didn't like about the NBA but I think this is the main reason.  It seems like they try to manufacture excitement too much.  You have the best players in the world but they still feel like they need to control the game.  Don't like it from a basketball standpoint, great for an entertainment view though.

This. Give me a solid fundamental game that I can get excited over. I could never quite determine what I didn't like about the NBA but I think this is the main reason. It seems like they try to manufacture excitement too much. You have the best players in the world but they still feel like they need to control the game. Don't like it from a basketball standpoint, great for an entertainment view though.

players should control the game. They're the ones on the floor.

players should control the game. They're the ones on the floor.

Agreed, the best players in the world can generate enough excitement.  However, when you can catch an inbounds pass and take 4 steps before putting the ball on the floor it ruins the basketball part of National Basketball Association for me.  The same goes with star players missing shots and then having fouls called.  The game is controlled too much for "basketball."

Agreed, the best players in the world can generate enough excitement. However, when you can catch an inbounds pass and take 4 steps before putting the ball on the floor it ruins the basketball part of National Basketball Association for me. The same goes with star players missing shots and then having fouls called. The game is controlled too much for "basketball."

all American players travel before dribbling. That's I'm HS, college and NBA. A reason you'll always see American players struggle with that in FIBA play or in the Olympics.

all American players travel before dribbling. That's I'm HS, college and NBA. A reason you'll always see American players struggle with that in FIBA play or in the Olympics.

That goes to the refs though. Need to be enforcing that starting in HS. Just a thing refs don't pay attention to.

IDK.

They called Troy Williams for this every possession his Freshman season.

Guess they didn't call it at Oak Hill.

IDK.

They called Troy Williams for this every possession his Freshman season.

Guess they didn't call it at Oak Hill.

they probably didn't. Just watching a game and you'll see it as consistent as carrying. Neither are called unless it is absolutely obvious.

That's just flat out incorrect and a sad reason to accept that it's ok. That's like me dropping a blanket statement of everyone dislikes the NBA because they play no defense. We both know that's incorrect and brings out incessant whining.

The fact is that NBA players routinely get away with gross traveling with 3 sometimes 4 steps. While traveling persists in the NCAA, the NBA allows it at a whole different level.

A big reason (probably just one of many) US teams struggle in international play is that we feature stellar, top-notch athletes and the competition brings fundamentally sound basketball players who play a solid team game sacrificing the personal glory for the teams benefit. There are a ton more Dirk Novitzki's around the world than LeBron James'.

That's just flat out incorrect and a sad reason to accept that it's ok. That's like me dropping a blanket statement of everyone dislikes the NBA because they play no defense. We both know that's incorrect and brings out incessant whining.

The fact is that NBA players routinely get away with gross traveling with 3 sometimes 4 steps. While traveling persists in the NCAA, the NBA allows it at a whole different level.

A big reason (probably just one of many) US teams struggle in international play is that we feature stellar, top-notch athletes and the competition brings fundamentally sound basketball players who play a solid team game sacrificing the personal glory for the teams benefit. There are a ton more Dirk Novitzki's around the world than LeBron James'.

NBA players sometimes get away with far far worse than 3 or 4 steps.  I saw a clip where a player literally double dribbled, switched pivot feet AND took about 8 steps and didn't get called.

Not sure how a thread about women's basketball ended up being about how the US "struggles" (not remotely true) in FIBA competitions. 

Going back to the women switching to 4 quarters - I'm not a fan. For some reason I've always really enjoyed the face that college basketball was two halves. I thought it was unique. Not sure what turning it into quarters accomplishes. 

Not sure how a thread about women's basketball ended up being about how the US "struggles" (not remotely true) in FIBA competitions.

Going back to the women switching to 4 quarters - I'm not a fan. For some reason I've always really enjoyed the face that college basketball was two halves. I thought it was unique. Not sure what turning it into quarters accomplishes.

I didn't say they struggled playing. They struggled with dribbling before running.

More opportunities for TV commercials.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2015/06/iuwbb-hoosiers-to-play-in-preseason-wnit-in-2015/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

IUWBB: Hoosiers to play in Preseason WNIT in 2015

It was announced Tuesday that Indiana will begin its season at the Preseason WNIT in November.

The field of 16 includes 10 teams that participated in the postseason last year. The tournament begins Nov. 13, with the championship game on Nov. 22.

“We are excited to get a chance to play in a challenging field for this year’s Preseason WNIT to begin our season,” IU head coach Teri Moren said in a statement. “This is another great opportunity early in the year to help prepare us for Big Ten play.”

Other participants include: Alabama State (SWAC), Baylor (Big 12), Chattanooga (Southern), Dartmouth (Ivy), DePaul (Big East), Drexel (Colonial), Jacksonville (Atlantic Sun), McNeese State (Southland), Siena (Metro Atlantic), South Florida (American), Southern Illinois (MVC), Southern Miss (Conference USA), St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10), Tennessee State (Ohio Valley) and UT Arlington (Sun Belt).

This will be the third time that IU has participated in the Preseason WNIT, and the first time since 2008.

Teams are guaranteed three games in the tournament, and those games are hosted at campus facilities, including the semifinals (Nov. 19) and championship (Nov. 22).

Moren made a point last year to say the Hoosiers needed to strengthen their non-conference slate. The pairings for the tournament have yet to be announced, but the field does include last year’s No. 5-ranked team in the country, Baylor.

We host Tennessee State on Nov. 13.