Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

IU's Greatest 3 point shooting team of all time

I remember a commentator (can't remember which one) today saying something along the lines of "...this is IU's greatest 3-pt shooting team ever." 

This may be true, statistically.  But one thing this team lacks is the "CLUTCH" 3-pt shooter.  I really can't think of a single player on this team that I am 100% comfortable taking that final shot.  Prior to the game at Maryland in early February, I would have said Yogi, unequivocally.  But he's been 0 for 3 in clutch situations. 

Who would you want to take that three pointer if it came down to it (again)?  Would you want Yogi to give it another shot?

The problem here is not who is taking the clutch 3 but how it is taken.  Watch some other teams when they need a 3.  It's usually not off the dribble but off a catch a shoot.  The famous KU play that they got in the championship game a few years is what we should be running. 

Have a shooter (Z or JBJ) in the strong side corner, run two shooters (JBJ, RoJo) off a big (Hartman) on the opposite wing, and make the best decision. 

-  First shooters comes off the screen if he's open shoot it, if not have him continue the cut to the rim

-- If he's open on the cut get him the ball to finish or dish to strong side corner shooter

-  Second shooter same thing

-  If nothing has been open have the big roll to the weakside corner

-  If all else fails have Yogi shoot it

Somebody needs to tell RJ to not fall to the side or go forward on his shot. Straight, straight down. I would want Hartman to take a last second shot. He has the best form of all of them, but lacks confidence.

his form may be good but he's not the best in game shooter. How about that airball towards the end. Any pressure at all, REALLY affects him. If open, it's Z all day. Yogi is best with pressure.

The title for this team is incomplete "The greatest 3 point shooting team that couldn't defend if lives depended on it". This would be a great honor to be remembered as the best 3 squad that finished top 3 in the Big Ten...we didn't so I don't see the need to respect the title.

Yes, I am a defensive minded player/coach. Defense creates offense. I don't care if you have the best 3 point shooters...if you don't defend...you finish 7th...like we did.

Alford had a pretty good day against Syracuse.....

Yes and when it mattered most. That was the mark of a great team since Alford dominated the first half and Smart in the second. Getting nostalgic here but Indiana will be back one day. Hopefully, sooner than later.