Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Diadem

Random Billy Donovan Thought.

Every program with a coaching change thinks they are going to lure Donovan away. It's just not going to happen. The question is: are you still comfortable getting rid of Crean without a high level replacement waiting in the wings? I am.

Well where do you draw the line? Would you fire Crean for someone on the level of, say, Cuonzo Martin? Frank Haith? Scott Drew? (Let's say minus the recruiting sketchiness, just coaching ability) There's a small group of coaches I would be comfortable parting with Crean for. If not, I feel like we're better off with him than without.

Well where do you draw the line? Would you fire Crean for someone on the level of, say, Cuonzo Martin? Frank Haith? Scott Drew? (Let's say minus the recruiting sketchiness, just coaching ability) There's a small group of coaches I would be comfortable parting with Crean for. If not, I feel like we're better off with him than without.

I don't draw a line or suggest one at all in my post. I said I am comfortable parting with Crean regardless.

I don't draw a line or suggest one at all in my post. I said I am comfortable parting with Crean regardless.

So you would fire Crean and take any of the 3 that I mentioned?

So you would fire Crean and take any of the 3 that I mentioned?

I would fire Crean and take whoever Glass hired. I'm not sure why the candidate pool has to be limited to the three you mentioned. Presumably, Glass would not hire a mediocre basketball coach. But, then again, who knows.

If the next coach fails, I would fire Glass as well.

chuck isn't making those. The guys name is Ty Rogers, a graphic designer specifically hired for those things and he's knocking it out of the park. Even though it's not paying off yet.

Is his official title, Associate Athletic Director of Infographics?

My main discriminator on Stevens v Donovan (long term) is that Stevens' ties to Indiana could prove critical in recruiting the state (which is loaded with talent the next few years especially).

Valid point, but Donovan has that instant credibility IU needs to recruit anywhere.  Kids growing up in Indiana today like Kris Wilkes, Eron Gordon, Zach Gunn, etc. think just as highly of Donovan as anyone else.

Recruiting the state will take care of itself if we were to get either. 

I would fire Crean and take whoever Glass hired. I'm not sure why the candidate pool has to be limited to the three you mentioned. Presumably, Glass would not hire a mediocre basketball coach. But, then again, who knows.

If the next coach fails, I would fire Glass as well.

I didn't say it would be limited to those 3. I was simply asking if you would be ok with firing Crean for a coach that is on his level or below. If you disagree that those 3 are below Crean, just imagine someone who you think is for the sake of the question. My point is that what would be the point of firing him if we're just going to get someone worse?

Agreed. Me either. Those were the 3 most average coaches (all much worse than Crean in my opinion) that came to mind first.

I think it's easy for all of us to say that Crean needs to be gone no matter what and there are actually about 20 coaches I would say I would rather have than Crean. The behind the scenes stuff is what we can't and aren't taking into consideration.

If there have been back channel discussions with either Brad Stevens or Billy D and they are saying the timing is wrong and they need 1 more year then I 100% agree you wait one mor year and keep Crean. If they flat out tell you NO I will not be coming to IU anytime in the foreseeable future then you go to your 2nd tier (Marshall, Bennett, Miller x2) I think one of these coaches for sure accept, if not then we are in worse shape than we think.

But just to answer your question if you forced me to put a years salary on one game Crean vs. ? I could name 20 coaches that I would rather have coaching a single game.

I think it's easy for all of us to say that Crean needs to be gone no matter what and there are actually about 20 coaches I would say I would rather have than Crean. The behind the scenes stuff is what we can't and aren't taking into consideration.

If there have been back channel discussions with either Brad Stevens or Billy D and they are saying the timing is wrong and they need 1 more year then I 100% agree you wait one mor year and keep Crean. If they flat out tell you NO I will not be coming to IU anytime in the foreseeable future then you go to your 2nd tier (Marshall, Bennett, Miller x2) I think one of these coaches for sure accept, if not then we are in worse shape than we think.

But just to answer your question if you forced me to put a years salary on one game Crean vs. ? I could name 20 coaches that I would rather have coaching a single game.

I totally agree with this. I'd say my list would be in the 20's as well. But if all of those 20 say no (unlikely), I'm not firing Crean just to fire him. Like has been said plenty of times, be careful what you wish for because we could have a MUCH worse coach than Crean.

I didn't say it would be limited to those 3. I was simply asking if you would be ok with firing Crean for a coach that is on his level or below. If you disagree that those 3 are below Crean, just imagine someone who you think is for the sake of the question. My point is that what would be the point of firing him if we're just going to get someone worse?

I see where you're coming from but I don't think my answer would change if we end up hiring one of those three. It's time to start rolling the dice on coaches until we find one that consistently succeeds here. We know Crean isn't that guy, so why wait? If it ends up being one of Cuonzo Martin / Frank Haith / Scott Drew then I probably wouldn't be thrilled but sometimes a guy looks mediocre until he's in the right situation. And if it isn't the right situation, time to move on again.

I'd rather ride the coaching carousel for a while than stick with someone who isn't getting the job done.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think my answer would change if we end up hiring one of those three. It's time to start rolling the dice on coaches until we find one that consistently succeeds here. We know Crean isn't that guy, so why wait? If it ends up being one of Cuonzo Martin / Frank Haith / Scott Drew then I probably wouldn't be thrilled but sometimes a guy looks mediocre until he's in the right situation. And if it isn't the right situation, time to move on again.

I'd rather ride the coaching carousel for a while than stick with someone who isn't getting the job done.

I respectfully disagree, but understand your viewpoint. I'm just the opposite. I'd rather stick it out and wait for someone who has had success or has big upside than bring dangerous instability. Just how I'd do it.

I totally agree with this. I'd say my list would be in the 20's as well. But if all of those 20 say no (unlikely), I'm not firing Crean just to fire him. Like has been said plenty of times, be careful what you wish for because we could have a MUCH worse coach than Crean.

I can see both sides. I see Archie Miller's name on here mentioned quite a bit. You could make the arguement that he hasn't even had the success that Crean had before he came to IU, but with 7 years of experience from Crean I feel that he is not going to be the one to hang banner #6. So if he is not that guy we might as well give someone that shot. I just don't want to wait around til year 9 or 10 with same results.

I would not be totally upset with Archie Miller or Greg Marshall. I would be more confident that we could get banner #6 with those guys even if their experience doesn't prove it.

***Still want Brad Stevens though***

I can see both sides. I see Archie Miller's name on here mentioned quite a bit. You could make the arguement that he hasn't even had the success that Crean had before he came to IU, but with 7 years of experience from Crean I feel that he is not going to be the one to hang banner #6. So if he is not that guy we might as well give someone that shot. I just don't want to wait around til year 9 or 10 with same results.

I would not be totally upset with Archie Miller or Greg Marshall. I would be more confident that we could get banner #6 with those guys even if their experience doesn't prove it.

***Still want Brad Stevens though***

I've been a big proponent for Archie. I enjoy catching Dayton games every now and then and I like his style. He's young, has good coaching bloodlines, and has had success **so far** at Dayton. I feel like he would be a bit of a risk, but one I'm willing to take.

***Still want Stevens too though***

I respectfully disagree, but understand your viewpoint. I'm just the opposite. I'd rather stick it out and wait for someone who has had success or has big upside than bring dangerous instability. Just how I'd do it.

I tend to lean toward your side, but my only thought would be " It's Indiana" Let's go get whoever we want a'la Michigan and Alabama football. Here is 7 yrs 35 mil now get to work we need 3 Burger Boys and 3 In-states ASAP!!!

I tend to lean toward your side, but my only thought would be " It's Indiana" Let's go get whoever we want a'la Michigan and Alabama football. Here is 7 yrs 35 mil now get to work we need 3 Burger Boys and 3 In-states ASAP!!!

That would be great. I would let Billy Donovan have the IMU as his house if he wanted to come here. The more I think about this whole thing, the gap between Stevens and Donovan keeps shrinking.

That would be great. I would let Billy Donovan have the IMU as his house if he wanted to come here. The more I think about this whole thing, the gap between Stevens and Donovan keeps shrinking.

Coaching and Recruiting you are probably splitting hairs. Stevens is the Indiana native and more likely to stay here 30 years, while hopefully hanging 5 more banners. Would definitely not mind having either one though.