Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Rookie33

I'd Be Remiss If I Didn't Ask...

You enlightened me in the Thon maker thread....but, what if crean never got zeller?

You are right but Zeller but if you compare that year of Creans to EJ's year at IU…Crean's team went further. I know it doesn't mean anything that he made it further but Sampson's offense was EJ and thats it. That team road on the back of EJ all year

You are right but Zeller but if you compare that year of Creans to EJ's year at IU…Crean's team went further. I know it doesn't mean anything that he made it further but Sampson's offense was EJ and thats it. That team road on the back of EJ all year

I don't know...Sampson wasn't even the coach at the end of the year plus I remember beating kentucky's brains in with Gordon out with an ankle. You had Crawford and Ellis and, if memory serves, Bassett

Edit: and dj white!!! That team was stacked, a lot more than just ej

I don't know...Sampson wasn't even the coach at the end of the year plus I remember beating kentucky's brains in with Gordon out with an ankle. You had Crawford and Ellis and, if memory serves, Bassett

Yeah EJ averaged 20 ppg and put up several 30 point games that year. We also had DJ that year and he averaged 17ppg. Basset averaged 11. Crawford averaged 9 and Ellis averaged 6. But in all reality we lived and died by Gordon that year. We did beat Kentucky bad that year but that was during Kentucky's stretch where they were terrible so thats kind of taken with a grain of salt.  If we had a player of Gordon's caliber on this year's squad, this would be a completely different team. I had hope that Blackmon Jr would be that type of player, but haven't seen that yet.

Yeah EJ averaged 20 ppg and put up several 30 point games that year. We also had DJ that year and he averaged 17ppg. Basset averaged 11. Crawford averaged 9 and Ellis averaged 6. But in all reality we lived and died by Gordon that year. We did beat Kentucky bad that year but that was during Kentucky's stretch where they were terrible so thats kind of taken with a grain of salt. If we had a player of Gordon's caliber on this year's squad, this would be a completely different team. I had hope that Blackmon Jr would be that type of player, but haven't seen that yet.

Dj white was the big ten poy that year if memory serves, we couldn't have been that much of a solo act

If we had a hybrid Sampson/Crean that would be something.

Sampson could coach, just not a good judge of character or role model.

Crean is the type of coach I would trust my kids with, he just wouldn't know how to use them on a basketball court.

...but i'll be damend if they wouldn't be full of encouragement!

Dj white was the big ten poy that year if memory serves, we couldn't have been that much of a solo act

Correct.  DJ was unanimous Big Ten POY, an award he earned with a month to go in the season.  He was that good.

Bassett led the Big Ten in 3 pt % that year too.  We were MUCH more than just EJ.

His offense was only better than Crean's because of EJ and DJ. Nothing else. If we had an EJ type player, everything would be the same.

. And Jordan Crawford, Armon Bassett. I can't remember at all the majority of IU fans questioning Kelvin Sampsons in game decisions, whereas Tom Crean nearly sets Twitter ablaze each game with his head scratchers.

Correct.  DJ was unanimous Big Ten POY, an award he earned with a month to go in the season.  He was that good.

Bassett led the Big Ten in 3 pt % that year too.  We were MUCH more than just EJ.

Yeah I added DJ to the mix but without those two, there was much of a team. Crawford and Bassett were good role good though. Id take them on this years team. Heck I'd love us to get a DJ White type player.