Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosiersLoveBanners

Potential fallout from coaching change

Yeah I have seen this and I am just hoping that he is wrong. There are also a few guys over there that are very adamant that he will not be back no matter what. I think its just a waiting game.

I think it's possible both sides are right and wrong at the same time. By that, what I mean is that they may all be hearing the things they say they're hearing. Where they could be going wrong is assuming that their particular inside source's story is set in stone. Maybe there are two sides with the administrations, BOT, etc. Each side may believe that what they're saying is the end game and is spreading their side of it as such.

I say all of this as someone who has absolutely no inside sources aside from a Peegs premium membership that involved my first ever trip to their "chat" the other night. I'm also in the group that's ready to move on as I just don't think the situation is repairable at this point. It feels pretty similar to the end of the Davis era at this point.

Guy over at peegs claims to be connected to program as a local physician. Swears Crean will be back next year. Says Crean thinks they can be title contenders with Bryant. Reiterates Crean will be back multiple times.
Not sure if this is a troll or not but I've been pessimistic of a coaching change immediately after the Bryant news broke. Lots of people saying lots of things. Not sure what to believe.

Hmmm..so the PM's going around must be much ado about nothing. Either way there's going to be some disappointed people...now will it be the majority, or the minority?

Guy over at peegs claims to be connected to program as a local physician. Swears Crean will be back next year. Says Crean thinks they can be title contenders with Bryant. Reiterates Crean will be back multiple times.

Not sure if this is a troll or not but I've been pessimistic of a coaching change immediately after the Bryant news broke. Lots of people saying lots of things. Not sure what to believe.

I could see him being back if Bryant committed, but I don't really think he should be.  This was supposed to be the year he proved his ability.  He failed the test.  The only thing he proved was that his detractors are right, he's a mediocre coach at best.  So no I don't think we should give him a season where the talent might be able to overcome the obvious coaching deficiency, once those players leave we'll be right where we are now because we know he can't build on and sustain success and that won't be good for the program.

If Bryant commits and Crean stays (not saying that's what I want, but if it happens) I'll be really excited for next season, assuming Troy, Yogi and JBJ (definitely will IMO) all stay too. I think we could be really good next season. But the question that remains is, then what?

After that season we'd definitely lose Yogi, most likely Troy and potentially JBJ and Bryant (don't think he's 1 and done, but it's not out of the question). Are we then in for 2-3 more years of 7th place finishes and laundry lists of excuses? The problem with Crean, at least to this point, is the highs aren't quite high enough, and the lows are too low and too frequent.

I could see him being back if Bryant committed, but I don't really think he should be. This was supposed to be the year he proved his ability. He failed the test. The only thing he proved was that his detractors are right, he's a mediocre coach at best. So no I don't think we should give him a season where the talent might be able to overcome the obvious coaching deficiency, once those players leave we'll be right where we are now because we know he can't build on and sustain success and that won't be good for the program.

I could see him being back if Bryant committed, but I don't really think he should be. This was supposed to be the year he proved his ability. He failed the test. The only thing he proved was that his detractors are right, he's a mediocre coach at best. So no I don't think we should give him a season where the talent might be able to overcome the obvious coaching deficiency, once those players leave we'll be right where we are now because we know he can't build on and sustain success and that won't be good for the program.

Exactly. So you give him a year to do well, still won't win t all though. Then yogi, Troy, and Bryant/Blackmon are gone. So we are starting over from scratch and do this all over again for another 2 years. Then they give him a year bc he has some pieces. He won't win it bc he can't coach, players leave, repeat.

Oh and if a get Bryant that is a 3rd player that is getting removed from the team this season. No thanks, time for Crean to Crean himself.

Totally conjecture and speculation on my part, but I would guess emotions were running just as high, if not higher for the Crean family, as they were for fans. I'm sure some of the rumors of Joani Crean wanting out following the noise after the Iowa game were accurate. But, as they days have gone by, discussions with Glass and the news of Bryant visiting, etc., maybe cooler heads are prevailing across the board.

Like you said, all scenarios are probably on the table at this point, with things even seeming to be leaning to Crean coming back.

Based on what I've heard, I'd be surprised if Crean is back next year. I'd also be surprised if he's gone.... It's a fluid situation :)

Based on what I've heard, I'd be surprised if Crean is back next year. I'd also be surprised if he's gone.... It's a fluid situation :)

So he is coaching for his job. :)
I was told back in January from a Board of Trustee relative that Crean would be back for AT LEAST another year. Well then we hit the late season swoon. He backed off his statement but still believed Crean would be back. Then the losing kept going and iowa happened. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him about it and gauge what he is being told.

[quote name="BGleas" post="146781" timestamp="1425735246"]If Bryant commits and Crean stays (not saying that's what I want, but if it happens) I'll be really excited for next season, assuming Troy, Yogi and JBJ (definitely will IMO) all stay too. I think we could be really good next season. But the question that remains is, then what?

After that season we'd definitely lose Yogi, most likely Troy and potentially JBJ and Bryant (don't think he's 1 and done, but it's not out of the question). Are we then in for 2-3 more years of 7th place finishes and laundry lists of excuses? The problem with Crean, at least to this point, is the highs aren't quite high enough, and the lows are too low and too frequent.

[/quote

I've been wanting Bryant just as much as the next guy here but, again I don't want him more. That's the truth! I don't want to see him have a somewhat successful season next year. Anything that would help him stay for another 2 more seasons seriously makes me nauseous.

One more thing. Why do some of you guys want to give CTC pass on the season IF we make the tournament? Are you calling that a successful season? Even with the B1G being way way down this year?

Exactly. So you give him a year to do well, still won't win t all though. Then yogi, Troy, and Bryant/Blackmon are gone. So we are starting over from scratch and do this all over again for another 2 years. Then they give him a year bc he has some pieces. He won't win it bc he can't coach, players leave, repeat.

Oh and if a get Bryant that is a 3rd player that is getting removed from the team this season. No thanks, time for Crean to Crean himself.

Completely agree with this.  Not to mention the marriage between IU and CTC is just at a toxic level right now.  When a coach (who was already a polarizing figure after last year) loses the fanbase even more, it's nearly impossible to win them all back.  I don't see any positives to having CTC stay 1 additional year.  It won't surprise me if he does, but I don't understand why he would.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I think it's time to move on from Crean and have been very vocal that he's not the guy for over a year?!?!

My post had nothing to do with a desire to keep Crean, but it looks pretty clear that he's staying. So, if everyone comes back and we add Bryant, we have a chance to be pretty good. Am I not supposed to be excited about the team potentially being really good next year? I mean it is what it is, I don't have any control over whether Crean stays or not.

[quote name="BGleas" post="146781" timestamp="1425735246"]If Bryant commits and Crean stays (not saying that's what I want, but if it happens) I'll be really excited for next season, assuming Troy, Yogi and JBJ (definitely will IMO) all stay too. I think we could be really good next season. But the question that remains is, then what?

[/quote

I've been wanting Bryant just as much as the next guy here but, again I don't want him more. That's the truth! I don't want to see him have a somewhat successful season next year. Anything that would help him stay for another 2 more seasons seriously makes me nauseous.

One more thing. Why do some of you guys want to give CTC pass on the season IF we make the tournament? Are you calling that a successful season? Even with the B1G being way way down this year?

The B1G is down this year and the best we can do is 7th with "the kind of team Crean wants".  If you'll excuse me I think I'm going to be sick.