Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosiersLoveBanners

Potential fallout from coaching change

Something I would like to retain from the Knight era is the tradition of IU teams playing tough DEFENSE!!! Please give us a coach who understands that.

Everybody loves to run and shoot threes but if you want to be a consistent top program again and win championships it still has to happen on the defensive side.

Someone on twitter mentioned to me that Indiana fans can't get out of the shadow of Bob Knight. No one has given Indiana fans a reason to get out of his shadow. After so many mediocre years, I don't fault anyone for holding onto winning memories.

Hoosier fans are sensible enough. If a coach comes in and wins, then they can "move out of Knight's shadow." Knight will always be a legend and be held in high esteem, but the right coach can definitely move the fan base forward and create his own legacy.

Hoosier fans can't stay too attached to Bob Knight, but they certainly shouldn't completely detach from him either.

Someone on twitter mentioned to me that Indiana fans can't get out of the shadow of Bob Knight. No one has given Indiana fans a reason to get out of his shadow. After so many mediocre years, I don't fault anyone for holding onto winning memories.

Hoosier fans are sensible enough. If a coach comes in and wins, then they can "move out of Knight's shadow." Knight will always be a legend and be held in high esteem, but the right coach can definitely move the fan base forward and create his own legacy.

Hoosier fans can't stay too attached to Bob Knight, but they certainly shouldn't completely detach from him either.

I look at Bill Self as an example. He was good at Illinois. Not the next Phog Allen. He certainly wasnt thought of as the best coach in cbb when he took the Kansas job. But, he embraced the tradition, recruits well, wins consistently, hung a banner and doesn't screw it up. I would be happy with that situation here.

Not taking a side here,and let me preface this by saying I am a huge RMKfan. However, there is a reason why he's not coaching now, in today's PC world he would last 5 min. before being fired. IMO.

Sad commentary about the state of the world.

One is a chicken-

You wouldn't pay someone $100 today to get $1000 next month? Of course you would.

One is a chicken-spit.. way to do things, the other is not.

Benz, but rarely worth the cost.

One is a chicken-

Depends on which one...anything with a number higher than 350 is the best car in it's class...I digress

One is a chicken-

I prefer sustainability, the situation is no longer sustainable and needs to be terminated asap...what's the quickest way for that to happen?

For some fans that is absolutely true. They could go out get Popovich as head coach, coach K, Self, Pitino as his assistants, and Sean Miller as the lead recruiter and some of the fans would still be mad it wasn't Knight.

who are these people? I have yet to meet one and or talk to one on a message board. This has been an argument made by Crean supporters for years but nobody has ever said that. There are a lot if coaches that would make fans happy. A coach that wins consistently. It could have been Crean but has been evident to a large group for a long time that the emporer has no cloak

There's one thing that's going to unite the fan base, and really one thing only, and it's not Bob Knight coming back or hiring one of his former players.

It's winning. Winning is the only thing. Winning at a high level brings fans back and unites things.

With a new coach, first year is always tough, it'll take more than winning. Don't underestimate the ability of a former great Hoosier to do both!

who are these people? I have yet to meet one and or talk to one on a message board. This has been an argument made by Crean supporters for years but nobody has ever said that. There are a lot if coaches that would make fans happy. A coach that wins consistently. It could have been Crean but has been evident to a large group for a long time that the emporer has no cloak

I think he or she may be referring to the older crowd, that you mostly would never see on a message board

Didn't say from here. But they exist, in their minds no one will ever be good enough to fill in his shoes