Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

I get the Stevens thing but cone on guys, Richard Pitino amd wright states coach? Some of y'all are asking for trouble and disappointment trying to land the next "coaching prodigy" trying to hang a banner. That's a recipe for program disaster. That will fail 10 times before we hit and none of us have that many years available and I surely don't want to watch mediocre iu bball for years to come over coaching prospects that haven't made it as far or have a better tourney record than our own coach who just hung a conference banner.

If this is for feces and fun, that's cool but I'm afraid some people on here really want us to go after some of these dudes. I would just kindly recommend checking the inner "instant gratification" meter.

Someone mentioned going with a young up-and-coming coach. I'm not saying we should go that route but it is a possibility. Knight didn't have any national championships when IU hired him. Sometimes you go bold and take a chance.

Look at freaking Duke. Coach K was 73-59 in 5 years at Army, including 9-17 his last year there, before he got hired at Duke. It took him until his fourth year there to really see the results, but he definitely is proof that taking a chance pays off

Only if your the school that loses his coach. Indiana could take any B1G coach with the exception of one; maybe two with the momentum of Belien at Michigan. Matta would take it; its his dream job just like Stevens.

Not sure Matta would leave tOSU at this point. And no way Izzo leaves MSU for any job, including IU.

Not sure Matta would leave tOSU at this point. And no way Izzo leaves MSU for any job, including IU.

Agree with Izzo. Read my post again. He would be the one not leaving and probably Belien also. I think Matta would, but he should have won at least ne National Champ with all the talent he has coached. Big Man U.

If Crean even gets the boot, I'm guessing most of you will be pretty let down with his replacement. We aren't getting Stevens and the big names aren't going in to a mess like this one. Look for another Tom Crean type guy who has had some success but not a household name. That's the reality. 

Someone mentioned going with a young up-and-coming coach. I'm not saying we should go that route but it is a possibility. Knight didn't have any national championships when IU hired him. Sometimes you go bold and take a chance.

isnt this what we did with crean?

I think Matta would, but he should have won at least ne National Champ with all the talent he has coached. Big Man U.

At the risk of coming off as argumentative (not my intent), why would IU want a coach that hasn't won "at least one National Champ with all the talent he has coached"? Don’t we already have one of those?

At this point, I’ve resigned myself that our situation is what it is, and we just have to ride it out, at least for the time being. 

If/when we do make a change, I’d like to see Shaka Smart at IU. My only thought is that he has turned down several job offers to stay at VCU. He’s the kind of guy that could really make something happen here, IMO.

How is Indiana a mess right now? A mess is what Crean took over. If (big if at this point) Crean were to go, we'd be hiring for a program that just spent a bulk of the season at #1 and won a conference title two seasons ago. 

You'd have 2 McDonald's AA to "re-recruit" and several other top 50-70 players (Williams, Johnson, Morgan, Robinson, Perea, etc.) to convince to stay, while probably bringing some recruits with you. 

If there's a new coach next season, they might have an initial season where we're a bit mediocre, but otherwise it should be pretty fast to back to normal, if you hire the right guy. 

If Crean even gets the boot, I'm guessing most of you will be pretty let down with his replacement. We aren't getting Stevens and the big names aren't going in to a mess like this one. Look for another Tom Crean type guy who has had some success but not a household name. That's the reality. 

How is Indiana a mess right now? A mess is what Crean took over. If (big if at this point) Crean were to go, we'd be hiring for a program that just spent a bulk of the season at #1 and won a conference title two seasons ago. 

You'd have 2 McDonald's AA to "re-recruit" and several other top 50-70 players (Williams, Johnson, Morgan, Robinson, Perea, etc.) to convince to stay, while probably bringing some recruits with you. 

If there's a new coach next season, they might have an initial season where we're a bit mediocre, but otherwise it should be pretty fast to back to normal, if you hire the right guy. 

The question is does Crean bring guys with him and will the new coach keep certain guys. If Troy leaves you're looking at taking over essentially the team we have had in the exhibitions. 

It's not a mess though. There would be a little turnover. I don't think anyone would leave with Crean. Guys aren't going to sit out an entire season to follow Crean somewhere, especially given that he wouldn't land somewhere better. But even if that did happen, then the new coach would most likely bring guys as well. 

There would definitely be an "adjustment" year, but it would mostly be hitting the ground running. 

The question is does Crean bring guys with him and will the new coach keep certain guys. If Troy leaves you're looking at taking over essentially the team we have had in the exhibitions.