Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

Not saying I think this will happen (at all) or want it to, but it'd be hilarious if IU had a press conference to announce the new basketball coach, then when they're getting ready to announce who it is, a chair flies across the room and the man himself walks out :D

That would be awesome.

It would be fascinating to see what a year or two of RMK coaching IUBB in this era would be like. ( No, I am not actually advocating it but I do think it would be extremely interesting as a sort of sociological experiment. Could he be successful? )

It would be fascinating to see what a year or two of RMK coaching IUBB in this era would be like. ( No, I am not actually advocating it but I do think it would be extremely interesting as a sort of sociological experiment. Could he be successful? )

I think it would really hinge on him catching up to the times in recruiting. I feel like his in-game strategies wouldn't suffer too bad, but if I understand correctly, he basically fell off in the later 90's because of poor recruiting didn't he?

Edit: I honestly have no idea how his demeanor would go over. I'm guessing not well, but who knows.

I think it would really hinge on him catching up to the times in recruiting. I feel like his in-game strategies wouldn't suffer too bad, but if I understand correctly, he basically fell off in the later 90's because of poor recruiting didn't he?

Edit: I honestly have no idea how his demeanor would go over. I'm guessing not well, but who knows.

all true. I don't think it would go over well. Kids these days wouldn't respect him like they used to. That is ultimately what lead to his demise. AAU scene and Bob Knight wouldn't mix AT ALL. He'd have to recruit like Purdue does and coach em up. If he got the right guys that bought in, he could surprise, but his time is passed. He would be coach grandpa to these kids, not coach knight.

all true. I don't think it would go over well. Kids these days wouldn't respect him like they used to. That is ultimately what lead to his demise. AAU scene and Bob Knight wouldn't mix AT ALL. He'd have to recruit like Purdue does and coach em up. If he got the right guys that bought in, he could surprise, but his time is passed. He would be coach grandpa to these kids, not coach knight.

I think he would coach himself to death if he started now. He takes losing so horribly and he wouldn't get the respect he had in his hay day. It would be truly terrible for his health.

Wayne,

Love your posts, and I think we're fairly similar in our outlooks, but I think it might turn out differently should this most unlikely of scenarios come about.

For starters, Knight is still "Robert Montgomery Knight" winner of three National Championships, an Olympic Gold, a 98% graduation rate, and the respect of virtually every player who's ever donned the cream and crimson. Sure, there would be some parents who told their boys,"I'll NEVER let you play for that SOB", but there's undoubtedly just as many parents who'd almost push their boys to play for "The General". Legends, even with Knight's side issues, get that benefit.

As for his ability to adapt, I don't think it'd be as big of an issue as some do. His defenses were never based on gimmicks, or trickery, but man to man, fundamentally sound play, and that part of the game hasn't changed. Part of me half way thinks it would actually be even more effective than it was, as nobody these days plays defense like that, so preparing you team to face what he would unleash on you would be almost impossible.

The trick, I believe, would be on offense, where nobody really runs his style of motion offense, at any level these days, (or so I'm inclined to believe). If you could get kids to buy in to it, and study it and work their asses off to perfect it, it would likely be very effective, as I still believe in the school of thought that five guys in constant motion are harder to guard that five stationary guys. To me, that seems almost mathematically, and scientifically logical. Finally, I think the most difficult aspect of this imaginary return would be instilling discipline and developing mental toughness, within the guidelines of a society that really doesn't hold that part of the game in high esteem. Not saying there aren't teams out there that aren't mentally tough or disciplined, but the measuring stick has changed over the years. In his day, Knight would have devised a game plan to throttle a team like Kentucky, exposing every flaw they have, both on the court and on the sideline.

Wayne,
Love your posts, and I think we're fairly similar in our outlooks, but I think it might turn out differently should this most unlikely of scenarios come about.
For starters, Knight is still "Robert Montgomery Knight" winner of three National Championships, an Olympic Gold, a 98% graduation rate, and the respect of virtually every player who's ever donned the cream and crimson. Sure, there would be some parents who told their boys,"I'll NEVER let you play for that SOB", but there's undoubtedly just as many parents who'd almost push their boys to play for "The General". Legends, even with Knight's side issues, get that benefit.
As for his ability to adapt, I don't think it'd be as big of an issue as some do. His defenses were never based on gimmicks, or trickery, but man to man, fundamentally sound play, and that part of the game hasn't changed. Part of me half way thinks it would actually be even more effective than it was, as nobody these days plays defense like that, so preparing you team to face what he would unleash on you would be almost impossible.
The trick, I believe, would be on offense, where nobody really runs his style of motion offense, at any level these days, (or so I'm inclined to believe). If you could get kids to buy in to it, and study it and work their asses off to perfect it, it would likely be very effective, as I still believe in the school of thought that five guys in constant motion are harder to guard that five stationary guys. To me, that seems almost mathematically, and scientifically logical. Finally, I think the most difficult aspect of this imaginary return would be instilling discipline and developing mental toughness, within the guidelines of a society that really doesn't hold that part of the game in high esteem. Not saying there aren't teams out there that aren't mentally tough or disciplined, but the measuring stick has changed over the years. In his day, Knight would have devised a game plan to throttle a team like Kentucky, exposing every flaw they have, both on the court and on the sideline.

Respect! Good post. I think you are right strategically without a doubt. My biggest qualm is getting players to buy in and CK finding a way to command respect under today's microscope.

I am treating this as an entirely hypothetical conversation and an interesting one, but I don't want to see this come to fruition for a thousand reasons.

The "real" Bobby Knight, aka, the 45  year old RMK, would still dominate as a coach in today's environment. Temper and all. Hell, they keep hiring Frank Martin!

The current RMK is a shell of his former self. 

In reality, you're probably right. One of the problems with posters my age is that we often try to project a "Knight" at the height of his game, in his prime, to today's game; not a 74 year old man, who although he's forgotten more than Crean will ever know about the game of basketball, would still struggle with some of the issues of advancing age, (not as quick on decisions, easily tired, and not as driven as other men of a lesser age). Since I don't personally know Coach Knight, I can't say this is a certainty, but in most people I'd say it is, unfortunately, true.

IIRC during the mid 90s he left recruiting to his assistants so he could go fishing, and we saw the result, but he eventually started taking a bigger role again and landed the 2002 team.  In-game might not be bad, what's popular in terms of style of play is different but at the end of the day it's still basketball and he has/had an incredible mind for the game.  His age would be the biggest detriment, he's forgotten more about the game than some coaches (Crean absolutely included) will ever know and I'd take a 74 year old RMK over some coaches in the game.

His demeanor wouldn't go over, at all, IMO.

IIRC during the mid 90s he left recruiting to his assistants so he could go fishing, and we saw the result, but he eventually started taking a bigger role again and landed the 2002 team. In-game might not be bad, what's popular in terms of style of play is different but at the end of the day it's still basketball and he has/had an incredible mind for the game. His age would be the biggest detriment, he's forgotten more about the game than some coaches (Crean absolutely included) will ever know and I'd take a 74 year old RMK over some coaches in the game.

His demeanor wouldn't go over, at all, IMO.

Yeah there would be a VERY select few kids that he could bring in that would put up with him. On court I think his teams would flourish. The game has changed, but not enough to stop his machine of a motion offense. It's off the court where he would be too out of the loop to succeed.

Yeah there would be a VERY select few kids that he could bring in that would put up with him. On court I think his teams would flourish. The game has changed, but not enough to stop his machine of a motion offense. It's off the court where he would be too out of the loop to succeed.

He could always bring in his son as the lead recruiter, no way it backfires

-Really I can watch it playing out on live TV in my head:
-Chair crashes into the wall/someone's head
-Knight storms on stage and says "now I'm f***ing sick and tired of watching these b*******s lose to Purdue."
-He knocks over the podium and shouts several obscenities before storming off.
-the sweet 16 trophy case is blown up with dynamite
-within 30 months banner number 6 is in the rafters

-Really I can watch it playing out on live TV in my head:
-Chair crashes into the wall/someone's head
-Knight storms on stage and says "now I'm f***ing sick and tired of watching these b*******s lose to Purdue."
-He knocks over the podium and shouts several obscenities before storming off.
-the sweet 16 trophy case is blown up with dynamite
-within 30 months banner number 6 is in the rafters

For some reason I picture this season and hear this playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxHHuUplaUQ

I truly am a newbie here so bare with me. I have read numerous pages of this thread and was noticing something. I haven't seen much in the way of discussion about Alumni Donors and Boosters. Wouldn't they or don't they have a huge influence on athletics and particularly Hoosier Basketball? In other words if some high profile (aka rich) donors said its time for a change, wouldn't the administration say 'yeah your right it's time for a change'? My thinking is I'm not real sure if all my complaining would matter it always comes down to where the money comes from. Now having said that I'm sure all of us that wants a coaching change can maybe influence a little. But again follow the money. Just a thought!!