Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

While I'm certain this has been a topic discussed at length, I'm curious where current opinions stand. This thread is not intended to harp on Coach Crean, it is intended to provide an opportunity to discuss the potential successors (whether short term or a few years down the road). 

The basic parameters for this are an emphasis on realistic candidates (much as everyone on here would LOVE that John Calipari...) and that the change will be made in the next 1-3 years (again, not a complaint against Crean just examining what realistic alternatives exist). For the purposes of this topic, realistic can extend to anyone with a direct IU tie that makes them at least worth considering. 

My personal thoughts are that the next coach the program brings in will be an Indiana man in one of two senses: 1) An Alum or 2) Someone with deep regional ties. Obviously a fringe candidate like Stevens falls into the latter (and yes, I know, he is hardly in the realm of realistic). The targets I could see IU pursuing (In no particular order)....

Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics HC), Steve Alford (IU '87, UCLA HC), Calbert Cheaney (IU '93, StLU AC), Mike Woodson (IU '80, LA Clippers AC)

Interested in other opinions regarding who's out there and what the potential pros and cons of any given candidates are. 

(Full disclosure: I'd love to see Alford as HC with him trying to bring Cheaney back into the fold somehow)

No offense--Bryan--because you're relatively new to the Board----But we've beat this horse so may times on here--- there's no blood left in it!

Welcome to BTown Banners and I am glad you're here---but I will not be participating in this thread!

Coach Crean is here for this season and I will debate whether he should stay once the season is over.

Thank you rebel!

Welcome to the boards Bryan but rebel is correct, there are plenty of crean threads, some that damn near burned down this site, so please if you'd like to post in those please do, thank you for joining hope to see you around

What exactly has Alford done? The dude has no postseason success (something people complain about with Crean who fluke or not has done something in the postseason), and I hope I don't have to get into how badly he screwed up Pierre Pierce situation. The actions he chose to take were absolutely despicable. 

Well thought out and worded post. Good thoughts too.

But, I'm with Rebel for now. I'm not going down this path until it's time.

I'm pretty darn sure Crean isn't our long term answer and his recent recruiting success (lack thereof) speaks volumes to me on how our program is viewed.

But the team, players, and University deserves my backing until our search becomes official.

I guess to somewhat redact my own thread and redirect it: What IU Alums (or coaches with IU ties) are out there? Again, whenever the next coach takes the reigns I think it might be someone from the program. I'm interested in discussing who's out there, what they've done, and what they are postured to do. Unfortunately, the Army has kept me too busy to keep an eye on all of this, but might as well celebrate the new year. 

I'm curious where the dough is coming from for the buyouts.  I keep hearing that donors will provide funds for the buyout of both coach and, if needed, the new coach.  How much is that?  10 mil, 20 mil?  I can understand $40 mil for renovations but half that for a new coach? 

I'm curious where the dough is coming from for the buyouts.  I keep hearing that donors will provide funds for the buyout of both coach and, if needed, the new coach.  How much is that?  10 mil, 20 mil?  I can understand $40 mil for renovations but half that for a new coach? 

As I was chastised, that's not the point of this thread. It's a look at who's out there so if something did happen we could be comfortable with a replacement. 

As for alum we have:  Alford, Cheaney, Fife, Crews, Smart, Woodson off the top of my head.

Alford:  Please no.  Not just the Pierce situation either.  Crean's resume is pretty unimpressive and Steve's is even worse.

Cheaney:  Just now becoming an assistant, needs more seasoning

Fife:  Needs more seasoning

Crews:  He's getting up there in age

Smart:  No collegiate experience and in the NBA (assistant for the Heat)

Woodson:  See above.

None of those are really confidence inspiring.  It doesn't have to be an 'IU guy' though.

EDIT:  Forgot Guyton, but he's coaching a semi pro team IIRC.

The basic parameters for this are an emphasis on realistic candidates (much as everyone on here would LOVE that John Calipari...) and that the change will be made in the next 1-3 years (again, not a complaint against Crean just examining what realistic alternatives exist). For the purposes of this topic, realistic can extend to anyone with a direct IU tie that makes them at least worth considering. 

I hope that LOVE was sarcasm. I would not want John Calapari anywhere near this program. Doubtful anyone with any character or standards would either.

The fact is, Tom Crean is under contract until 2020. Crean has Glass backing him. As much as some want Crean gone, it’s not happening in the short term. This year and this situation is what it is. I personally think Crean has grossly underachieved, but that’s just my take. The realistic part is that he will remain our coach for the foreseeable future, regardless of what anyone here says or wants.

Let’s get this season ramped up and see where it leads. There will be plenty of time to write Crean's eulogy when the time comes. 

As for alum we have:  Alford, Cheaney, Fife, Crews, Smart, Woodson off the top of my head.

Alford:  Please no.  Not just the Pierce situation either.  Crean's resume is pretty unimpressive and Steve's is even worse.

Cheaney:  Just now becoming an assistant, needs more seasoning

Fife:  Needs more seasoning

Crews:  He's getting up there in age

Smart:  No collegiate experience and in the NBA (assistant for the Heat)

Woodson:  See above.

None of those are really confidence inspiring.  It doesn't have to be an 'IU guy' though.

EDIT:  Forgot Guyton, but he's coaching a semi pro team IIRC.

That pretty much sums up what I was particularly interested in.

...as for the devil down south? I mean love with the utmost sarcasm!

I've never understood IU fans' fascination with Mark Few. I can't imagine many hires would be worse than that. Not bashing, just baffles me.

The guy gets more with less year after year. It's that simple. People, maybe wrongly, assume his recruiting would be top notch at a big time school and if so his eye for talent and winning would continue at a high rate. 7 or 8 years ago I liked the idea of Few, instead to Crean if it were between the 2, but currently he is not at the top of my list. Shaka Smart is the modern version of what Few stood for years back.