Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

I didn't want to derail any other threads so I posted this in the bash TC thread.

If this is what Tommy is telling these players defense is about then no wonder we are horrible. They ask him a question about defense and he says they need to transition into offense quicker? Not a great defensive game plan if you ask me.

Defensively, what can we expect;
Troy Williams--"We have to win the glass, rebound and that will help us in transition.

I didn't want to derail any other threads so I posted this in the bash TC thread.
If this is what Tommy is telling these players defense is about then no wonder we are horrible. They ask him a question about defense and he says they need to transition into offense quicker? Not a great defensive game plan if you ask me.

Troy Williams--"We have to win the glass, rebound and that will help us in transition.

Well rebounding will help transition, but in our case we give up wide open layups so there's not as many opportunities.

He's not entirely wrong.

Technically that is true, if we can rebound better we can get out in transition.  However, I think a rebound needs to be defined to the team.  A rebound is NOT when you take it from the net, step back, and inbound the ball.

Technically that is true, if we can rebound better we can get out in transition.  However, I think a rebound needs to be defined to the team.  A rebound is NOT when you take it from the net, step back, and inbound the ball.

I am not saying what he is saying is wrong, I am saying it should not be a defensive strategy which is what the question was.

I am not saying what he is saying is wrong, I am saying it should not be a defensive strategy which is what the question was.

Defensive rebounding is always part of the defensive strategy.  We are excellent at giving up an offensive rebound and then an and 1.  That's a horrible defensive strategy.  I understand what you're saying, a better answer would be to pressure the ball, not get confused by switching defenses mid possession, or actually communicating. 

we've done this before and his name is Kelvin Sampson. Please no, we don't need to go there

Howland has never had any NCAA issues and aside from Reeves Nelson, his players have rarely been in trouble.

Defensively, what can we expect;Troy Williams--"We have to win the glass, rebound and that will help us in transition.

Seriously? That quote makes me want to punch a brick wall