Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

Izzo would have been better but he backed off when Crean was involved.

Interesting. First I've heard that over the years. Would love to see someone with sources back that up

I am not resigned to mediocrity, I am realistic that in todays college basketball world having a shot every four years or so to make a run like 2013 team is as good as it gets for IU and that getting a new coach when we have one that can assemble a team that can have a shot at a title like the 2013 team did is better than this team has been since I went to school at IU 20 years ago

Lol, we are on very different wavelengths. "As good as it gets for IU"....that kinda makes me mad

Fans will not pick the next IU coach. Just remember, whoever is chosen will have to bring Hoosier fans home, past and present. He will have to be skilled AND appeal to the full spectrum of the Indiana faithful, therefore, I believe that if and when change comes, we will look back to the future.

You literally just described Stevens

[quote name="Two Mules for Sister Sara" post="145874" This team is going to be really good next year and if we get a big man has a real shot to be very competitive[/quote]

Neat. I can't wait until this time next year when we talk about how good the team will be the following year when we falter late in the year, again

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said .  . . I really hope we get CTC.  My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now).  That alone proves my point that it isn't an elite destination for coaches anymore. 

This doesn't make any sense.  Walk with me back in time to when Sampson was fired.

The IU program had players getting kicked off the team and leaving a sinking ship.  They returned zero scholarship players.  There were NCAA sanctions coming down including fewer scholarships and no off campus recruiting.  IU basketball was a dumpster fire, nobody was going to walk into that mess.

Tom Crean was coaching in the best conference at the time, the deep Big East.  He had Final Four experience.  He had the support of his fanbase and he was a national name.  It was a shocker nationwide that he would leave that to go to the mess at IU.  Why did he do it?  Because IU is an elite landing spot, even with the disaster at the time.

Does any of this ring a bell?

If I were sitting down at a bar with Cal Izzo and Pitino and they all three told me that they were thinking of leaving their jobs for IU, I would wake myself up because I would be dreaming.

Dakich pushes the agenda that IU is still a top location for coaches because he is an egomaniac and that feed his narrative and builds his credibitily because he got to be an interm coach at IU

It's not just Dakich that has mentioned at least one of those names.

Long time reader, first time poster. So go easy on me lol. But last night I watched the end of the Bulls and Thunder game. How do you guys feel about a Tom Thibideau at the college level? Seems like his coaching style could translate to the college game. The ability to recruit would be a question mark though.

If you really have followed this site for weeks which is a lie, you would know that Btown is anything but a lynch mob mentality. Differing views are valued except complete lies like you spew. If you really have been following you would know the answer to the question you want answered. Go troll somewhere else.

Two Mules For Sister Sara is the great uniter!

Props to schoosier for highlighting the Btownbanners style of encouraging drastically different points of view.

Long time reader, first time poster. So go easy on me lol. But last night I watched the end of the Bulls and Thunder game. How do you guys feel about a Tom Thibideau at the college level? Seems like his coaching style could translate to the college game. The ability to recruit would be a question mark though.

Go easy on you?

In my opinion, Tom Thibideau would be an absolute home run hire darn near on the level of Brad Stevens.

However, I have no reason to believe that Tom Thibideau has any interest in being a college coach.

Sorry fellas but you are all delusional. Crean isn't going anywhere. I am not the biggest fan of Crean but this idea that "this is Indiana" and we have a right to expect more is a generation old. As a grad and a lifelong fan it is hard for me to say, but IU isn't an elite destination anymore. If that were the case, ,we wouldn't have endured Davis, Dakich, Sampson, Crean. Instead we would have won at least one more title since Bobby left and been competitive most every year.

I like Brad Stevens and if someone could guarantee me that firing Crean would automatically lead to Stevens, count me in. But short of that, not sure the grass is greener on the other side and that we shouldn't learn to be ok with a chance every 4 years or so to make a run. This team is going to be really good next year and if we get a big man has a real shot to be very competitive

You have to realize the time frame in which these events happened. Myles Brand was determined to turn IU into a Midwest "ivy league" school, athletics needed to suffer to spotlight academics. Indiana is still an elite destination for many coaches, in fact, i don't know how many offers have been extended in the past and then turned down. Nonetheless, minimizing Crean's failure by saying that we can't hire better doesn't wash. This team may have abilities, but they are negated by poor coaching.

Keith has zero head college coaching or recruiting experience.

You're right, we don't want a former IU national champ, NBA player and coach at IU. He couldn't possibly understand the mindset or desire of recruits these days. Darn, sorry for not crossing him off the list!

I would love Thibs here, but I don't know how he would manage a program. As a basketball coach I think he's top notch, but there's a big difference in the responsibilities of an NBA coach and a college coach. Plus I'm a Bulls fan so I'd like him to stay there for a while haha