Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

This is interesting.  I have no idea who runs this site but saw it posted on twitter.

http://backdoorslider.com/2015/03/05/as-you-wake-up-were-we-stand-on-the-tom-crean-saga-and-the-next-potential-iu-coach/

The only UK fan or site I could stand, and only Crean could make that happen. Now, let's hire Stevens and get back to playing and hating UK the way it's suppose to be.

If I were sitting down at a bar with Cal Izzo and Pitino and they all three told me that they were thinking of leaving their jobs for IU, I would wake myself up because I would be dreaming.  

Dakich pushes the agenda that IU is still a top location for coaches because he is an egomaniac and that feed his narrative and builds his credibitily because he got to be an interm coach at IU

I can say with full confidence that when IU announced Kelvin Sampson as coach back in 2006 or whenever it was...I was sorely disappointed...and when they announced Crean in 2008...I completely felt the same, but was willing to give the guy a shot.

Man Sampson's hire was like a kick in the gut. Hey let me introduce your new coach. He does not value education or following rules but we think he is swell.

Blackdoor slider is a huge Kentucky fan. Check their Twitter. They lash out at BtownBanners all the time. That post is basically everything he's read on this site...

So we've gone full circle?  I really feel dirty posting that now and kind of creeped out he follows this sight so close.  Bleach bath is a must!

Good point! I don't post on any Celtics message boards, but that's mainly because I used to work there.

I would want Stevens to come to IU though. While the coach is also important in the NBA, it's critical in college. The Celtics can get a good NBA coach to replace him.

How many Celtic message boards to you post regular on? That should tell you who you are, the rest of us know

If I were sitting down at a bar with Cal Izzo and Pitino and they all three told me that they were thinking of leaving their jobs for IU, I would wake myself up because I would be dreaming.  

Dakich pushes the agenda that IU is still a top location for coaches because he is an egomaniac and that feed his narrative and builds his credibitily because he got to be an interm coach at IU

Nope, you're wrong here with your 3 posts and the same on Peegs with similar numbers. Dakich pushes the agenda at Indiana because he played and coached here and has earned the right like any former player or alumni. Also, he happens to be correct that Indiana is and will always be a top location for coaches if you happen to coach basketball. Your agenda won't hunt here or any other sight Sister.

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said .  . . I really hope we get CTC.  My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now).  That alone proves my point that it isn't an elite destination for coaches anymore.  Best case scenario, if we don't Stevems, is that we get another unproven coach from a mid major and hope that it works out this time.  That coach wont have developed relationships with top recruits and wont have the name recognition or the job security to draw top recruits and three years from now, you will all be calling for his head when we are in the middle of the pack in the big ten

Wrong, wrong, wrong. IU has great facilities, plays in one of the top conferences in the country, has passionate fans, and the state of Indiana continually churns out top talent to recruit from.

You can't base anything off of when Crean was hired because we were hampered by Sampson's sanctions at the time...no sanctions this time around.

No come on they did inquire. No need to wake up. Now let me ask you, if Clint Eastwood were the coach would we he have had poor finishes to nearly every season he has coached at IU and Marquette. No, he always wins the battles in the end.

I have no agenda, discovered this blog recently and after checking it out for several weeks couldn't help but post.  The mob mentality of this site is what drove me to post. Havent heard anyone respond with an answer as to why we have had a string of average coaches if we are such a destination.  You cant have it both ways, claiming that we are elite but not acknowledging that we haven't attracted top coaching talent for 20 years

I have no agenda, discovered this blog recently and after checking it out for several weeks couldn't help but post. The mob mentality of this site is what drove me to post. Havent heard anyone respond with an answer as to why we have had a string of average coaches if we are such a destination. You cant have it both ways, claiming that we are elite but not acknowledging that we haven't attracted top coaching talent for 20 years

Ah ok good question.

Davis was an interim who was nearly replaced but made a championship game run. Hard to make a change then

Sampson was the worst hire in the history of bball hires. That was orchestrated by our president not basketball experts. Terribly wrong fit for us.

Crean was a good hire given what we needed. Izzo would have been better but he backed off when Crean was involved. Pitino and Cal could not have followed Sampson.

So see, of the last three hires two were done so very poorly. We did. It even give half an good effort let one our best effort. Crean, was not a bad hire but again it was done by a search committee more so than basketball experts.

Those people are not around. Glass has a better feel for how to do this but in this there is room to have some doubt.

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said . . . I really hope we get CTC. My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now). That alone proves my point that it isn't an elite destination for coaches anymore. Best case scenario, if we don't Stevems, is that we get another unproven coach from a mid major and hope that it works out this time. That coach wont have developed relationships with top recruits and wont have the name recognition or the job security to draw top recruits and three years from now, you will all be calling for his head when we are in the middle of the pack in the big ten

You seemed quite resigned to relative mediocrity. There are plenty of examples of historically great colleges I'm the two sports going through prolonged dry spells only to find the right guy and reclaim their status.

I don't mean this to be an insult but it is your mindset that will keep us down, sure glad most fans don't agree.

I have no agenda, discovered this blog recently and after checking it out for several weeks couldn't help but post.  The mob mentality of this site is what drove me to post. Havent heard anyone respond with an answer as to why we have had a string of average coaches if we are such a destination.  You cant have it both ways, claiming that we are elite but not acknowledging that we haven't attracted top coaching talent for 20 years

If you really have followed this site for weeks which is a lie, you would know that Btown is anything but a lynch mob mentality. Differing views are valued except complete lies like you spew. If you really have been following you would know the answer to the question you want answered. Go troll somewhere else.

I have no agenda, discovered this blog recently and after checking it out for several weeks couldn't help but post. The mob mentality of this site is what drove me to post. Havent heard anyone respond with an answer as to why we have had a string of average coaches if we are such a destination. You cant have it both ways, claiming that we are elite but not acknowledging that we haven't attracted top coaching talent for 20 years

20 years? That's a generous round up. Kelvin Sampson was a great coach, his ethics were questionable however. Name a situation where a coaching legend goes and his immediate successor is a resounding success, please name one. That's what was destined to happen immediately following knight.

So you have two scenarios. 1. Knight 2.sampson, which immediately lead to poor/bad decisions, 1. Davis 2. Crean. Now that there isn't a issue immediately facing the next coach, following a legend or dealing with sanctions, our potential candidate list vastly expands.

I am not resigned to mediocrity, I am realistic that in todays college basketball world  having a shot every four years or so to make a run like 2013 team is as good as it gets for IU and that getting a new coach when we have one that can assemble a team that can have a shot at a title like the 2013 team did is better than this team has been since I went to school at IU 20 years ago