Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

Sorry fellas but you are all delusional.  Crean isn't going anywhere.  I am not the biggest fan of Crean but this idea that "this is Indiana" and we have a right to expect more is a generation old.  As a grad and a lifelong fan it is hard for me to say, but IU isn't an elite destination anymore.  If that were the case, ,we wouldn't have endured Davis, Dakich, Sampson, Crean.  Instead we would have won at least one more title  since Bobby left and been competitive most every year.

I like Brad Stevens and if someone could guarantee me that firing Crean would automatically lead to Stevens, count me in.  But short of that, not sure the grass is greener on the other side and that we shouldn't learn to be ok with a chance every 4 years or so to make a run.  This team is going to be really good next year and if we get a big man has a real shot to be very competitive

Sorry fellas but you are all delusional. Crean isn't going anywhere. I am not the biggest fan of Crean but this idea that "this is Indiana" and we have a right to expect more is a generation old. As a grad and a lifelong fan it is hard for me to say, but IU isn't an elite destination anymore. If that were the case, ,we wouldn't have endured Davis, Dakich, Sampson, Crean. Instead we would have won at least one more title since Bobby left and been competitive most every year.

I like Brad Stevens and if someone could guarantee me that firing Crean would automatically lead to Stevens, count me in. But short of that, not sure the grass is greener on the other side and that we shouldn't learn to be ok with a chance every 4 years or so to make a run. This team is going to be really good next year and if we get a big man has a real shot to be very competitive

Well let's just wait and see. I think you are wrong on all counts but like you say we could be delusional. Should know in a month.

That guy is a Kentucky fan and is literate, baby steps man baby steps.

He had an interesting comparison in another article with UK's "vote of confidence" for Tubby Smith back in 2007 and IU's from Glass today for Crean.

http://backdoorslider.com/2015/03/05/interesting-parallel-between-ius-crean-and-uks-tubby-when-they-got-the-dreaded-vote-of-confidence/

While I think Brad Stevens would make a terrific coach here at IU, I there are a lot of good coaches out there that could do a great job at IU, and I'm not discounting former players or assistant coaches under RMK. Ultimately, we have to get back to playing IU basketball. Well, what is that? Under Knight, it was fundamentally air tight, stifling defense, and a constant motion offense, using screens and picks. I don't know if that would still play or not, (I personally think it would), but whatever it is, we have to get there. Right now, I can't think of a single part of Crean's basketball philosophy that makes it stand out above the rest. Defense is practically non-existent. The offense, geared towards three point shots, is basically one on one street ball, using set plays and great athletes. Worst of all is the noticeable lack of strategy, intensity, drive, commitment and ability to make adjustments during the game.

Say what you will about coach Knight, but he knew how to take apart the best of the best, and make them look silly on any given afternoon. His teams could be outsized, out muscled and slower than the opponent, yet he'd still have a plan to compensate for those shortcomings. We all knew it, and we all believed that we could still pull out a win against the other blue bloods, (and more often than not, we did).

Whomever is brought in after Crean, needn't be Knight II, but he does need to possess many of the qualities I just described.

Perhaps IU will never again be the home of the motion offense or the air tight defense; I don't know. Whatever it is, we damn sure had better show the other teams that we do it better than anyone else, it's IU basketball, and it wins championships.

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said .  . . I really hope we get CTC.  My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now).  That alone proves my point that it isn't an elite destination for coaches anymore.  Best case scenario, if we don't Stevems, is that we get another unproven coach from a mid major and hope that it works out this time.  That coach wont have developed relationships with top recruits and wont have the name recognition or the job security to draw top recruits and three years from now, you will all be calling for his head when we are in the middle of the pack in the big ten

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said . . . I really hope we get CTC. My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now). That alone proves my point that it isn't an elite destination for coaches anymore. Best case scenario, if we don't Stevems, is that we get another unproven coach from a mid major and hope that it works out this time. That coach wont have developed relationships with top recruits and wont have the name recognition or the job security to draw top recruits and three years from now, you will all be calling for his head when we are in the middle of the pack in the big ten

If your learned that Cal, Izzo and Pitino made strong overtures for the position last time would that change your mind?

If you heard Dakich say multiple times this week that most, not some, but most top coaches would live this job would that change your mind? What if he even threw out that Matta, a guy he knows pretty well, would live this job.

If your learned that Cal, Izzo and Pitino made strong overtures for the position last time would that change your mind?

If you heard Dakich say multiple times this week that most, not some, but most top coaches would live this job would that change your mind? What if he even threw out that Matta, a guy he knows pretty well, would live this job.

He said today Matta would come running

Last time IU was looking for a head coach, how many of you said .  . . I really hope we get CTC.  My guess is that no one was pushing for that (or at least wont admit it now).  

I can say with full confidence that when IU announced Kelvin Sampson as coach back in 2006 or whenever it was...I was sorely disappointed...and when they announced Crean in 2008...I completely felt the same, but was willing to give the guy a shot.

Which coach? I used to work there, not since Stevens has been there, but know a couple of the remaining assistants.

I don't mind the celtics either. Guy from my hometown is an assistant under Brad.