Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bryan Medema

Potential coaching change suggestions

Fans will not pick the next IU coach. Just remember, whoever is chosen will have to bring Hoosier fans home, past and present. He will have to be skilled AND appeal to the full spectrum of the Indiana faithful, therefore, I believe that if and when change comes, we will look back to the future.

Is there anyone more unanimous across ages of IU fans than Brad Stevens?

Btw when I type Brad into google 'Stevens' is the second name to pop up. Hoosiers have been googling.

Is there anyone more unanimous across ages if IU fans than Brad Stevens?

Btw when I type Brad into google 'Stevens' is the second name to pop up. Hoosiers have been googling.

Stevens would do everything he/she said in that post.  I've said it time and again, he is an absolutely perfect fit and if the administration doesn't do everything they can to make it happen then they weren't thorough.

Is it possible that Crean might resign for "health reasons"? He seemed like a total nervous wreck during our last game; even more so than usual. He could avoid being fired and save face that way.

How would resigning affect his buyout?

I would think we wouldn't have to pay him anything. He quit.

Fans will not pick the next IU coach. Just remember, whoever is chosen will have to bring Hoosier fans home, past and present. He will have to be skilled AND appeal to the full spectrum of the Indiana faithful, therefore, I believe that if and when change comes, we will look back to the future.

Fans won't pick the coach, but the next coach will bring Hoosier fans home?

There is no former coach or player at IU that will unite the fanbase. Not even The General himself bc he is well past his prime. There is only one coach to unite the fanbase, bring back the older fans, middle aged fans, younger fans, male, female, red, yellow, black, and white and that is Brad Stevens.
The same Brad Stevens that the fanbase is wanting. So I think it's not the back to the future player you are hinting.

There is no former coach or player at IU that will unite the fanbase. Not even The General himself bc he is well past his prime. There is only one coach to unite the fanbase, bring back the older fans, middle aged fans, younger fans, male, female, red, yellow, black, and white and that is Brad Stevens.
The same Brad Stevens that the fanbase is wanting. So I think it's not the back to the future player you are hinting.

I would argue that a coach who comes in and wins the right way would also unite the fanbase.  Stevens would be a great hire and have a lot of fans excited about the program again but if he were to lose the fanbase would be splintered again.  Also, I don't think you will truly ever unite this fanbase with just a hire.  There will always be those who want the General back, a few who want a Knight disciple, and SSQ who wants Crean.  (only kidding SSQ)

I respectfully disagree, I think getting stuck on brad is going to lead to disappointment when he's not named. Try to unite if you don't get the man you want.
Fans are not the appropriate ones to pick the coach, it takes inside, personal knowledge of candidates weighed with qualifications and the willingness of the CANDIDATE. Has anyone asked him if he wants to coach IU?

He very well may "quit" or resign. But that's not going to be the full truth... He may resign but his resignation package will look rather familiar to his buy out. Just different ways to package the same action. Crean leaving Indiana.

Timeframe?

Not sure about everyone else but reading today about Creans buyout being spread out over several years and the fact that if he takes a job elsewhere it effects the amount he gets made me feel that a split might be much more likely than I thought.

Ten to twelve mil? That's a big chunk of change! but when it's spread over several years? Not so much. I personally don't feel Crean would just set on the sidelines for that long. He'd either take another position coaching or do tv work which would significantly lessen the hit IU would take, hence making it much easier to swallow/sell for donors.

For the record, I'm not sure Stevens would be the first I'd offer it to. I'd personally rather see them call Billy D up down in Florida and ask, are you interested? What would it take? Stevens would probably be my second choice (although I'm not sure he'd leave Boston) Marshall/A Miller would more than likely be my third call if the first two failed.

Not sure about everyone else but reading today about Creans buyout being spread out over several years and the fact that if he takes a job elsewhere it effects the amount he gets made me feel that a split might be much more likely than I thought.

Ten to twelve mil? That's a big chunk of change! but when it's spread over several years? Not so much. I personally don't feel Crean would just set on the sidelines for that long. He'd either take another position coaching or do tv work which would significantly lessen the hit IU would take, hence making it much easier to swallow/sell for donors.

For the record, I'm not sure Stevens would be the first I'd offer it to. I'd personally rather see them call Billy D up down in Florida and ask, are you interested? What would it take? Stevens would probably be my second choice (although I'm not sure he'd leave Boston) Marshall/A Miller would more than likely be my third call if the first two failed.

I wouldn't have Archie Miller that high yet.  He did a great job last season and doing a good job this season without a player over 6'6 (their 6'11 guy is ineligible), but I'd like to see more than that from him in terms of a sample size.

I wouldn't have Archie Miller that high yet. He did a great job last season and doing a good job this season without a player over 6'6 (their 6'11 guy is ineligible), but I'd like to see more than that from him in terms of a sample size.

You could very well be right. I live in the Cincy area and what I've seen/read/heard about him seems very positive but you are probably right.

I'd really like for them to see if Donovan is interested. If he is I'd really like to see them make him a strong offer.

You could very well be right. I live in the Cincy area and what I've seen/read/heard about him seems very positive but you are probably right.

I'd really like for them to see if Donovan is interested. If he is I'd really like to see them make him a strong offer.

I think he's doing a good job, he's won 23 games this year without a player over 6'6.  He's only been a head coach for a total of 4 years though.  I want to see how he builds on these last couple years.  I kind of feel like going from Dayton straight to an Indiana with that little coaching experience would be like getting thrown to the wolves.

Donovan would be a great hire if he's tired of being second fiddle on his own campus.

This is interesting. I have no idea who runs this site but saw it posted on twitter.

http://backdoorslider.com/2015/03/05/as-you-wake-up-were-we-stand-on-the-tom-crean-saga-and-the-next-potential-iu-coach/

I'd love to believe this but man, that site needs an editor!