Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

Post Game IU vs. Northwestern

Is Crean possibly pushing them too hard this late in the season?   All the signs are there:

Individual looks of desperation ie. Blackmon throwing his arms up in the air when 3 IU defenders were caught in the corner while Olaf (sp?) dunked with no one within 8-10 feet of him.

Lack of concntration on foul shots, 3-17 on 3's, leaving both foul shots and jump shots short off the rim and finally, perfunctory attempt at defense.  Just sayin.'

Is Crean possibly pushing them too hard this late in the season? All the signs are there:

Individual looks of desperation ie. Blackmon throwing his arms up in the air when 3 IU defenders were caught in the corner while Olaf (sp?) dunked with no one within 8-10 feet of him.

Lack of concntration on foul shots, 3-17 on 3's, leaving both foul shots and jump shots short off the rim and finally, perfunctory attempt at defense. Just sayin.'

That all is a possible explanation , as we have heard of this prior. But, most of us are only guessing, an educated guess.

Is Crean possibly pushing them too hard this late in the season?   All the signs are there:

Lack of concntration on foul shots, 3-17 on 3's, leaving both foul shots and jump shots short off the rim and finally, perfunctory attempt at defense.  Just sayin.'

I think they look tired and confused.

Leaving shots short ,shaking their heads and playing scatter shot defense.

Looks eerily like like last year and they've given up.

I was enjoying a nice three day business trip in sunny San Diego and came back to this crap.  At least I was in the Temecula wine country. It was bad enough that I got re-routed through Dallas.  I was able to watch the first half of the game in the airport only to find out that they laid an egg in the second half when I landed in Fort Wayne.  Thanks for ruining the week guys. 

Every single time I leave San Diego, I feel like I'm leaving home. I love that place. Good amount of Hoosier transplants there as well. I remember being on Mission beach and having numerous people break out into "HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS" after seeing me in my IU jersey.

thats his persona mostly but remember he wants to be a one n done and anything short of that is a disappointment to him

yeah well hate to tell him but he better get way tougher or he will never ever be in the league. He has a great shot but has to get consistent and also needs to figure out how to not get blocked all the time lol

I hope Crean is running them hard in practice. Thats no fault of a coach. They are athletes and while not professionals, this is what they DO. If they are giving up because they are being practiced too hard…suck it up. By all accounts they are all stars in practice but can't back it up on the court when it counts. I just wish we had a squad filled with guys who gave it their all. Too many times last year and this year I saw a team that when push came to shove they just seemed to put their tails between their legs and quit. This years squad was A LOT better than that at the beginning of the season, but they've completely disappeared. 

I hope Crean is running them hard in practice. Thats no fault of a coach. They are athletes and while not professionals, this is what they DO. If they are giving up because they are being practiced too hard…suck it up. By all accounts they are all stars in practice but can't back it up on the court when it counts. I just wish we had a squad filled with guys who gave it their all. Too many times last year and this year I saw a team that when push came to shove they just seemed to put their tails between their legs and quit. This years squad was A LOT better than that at the beginning of the season, but they've completely disappeared.

Actually a lot of coaches have lighter practices to save their players for the games this time of year. But when walk through are tougher than most other practices that tells me he is wearing them down. Hell they do walk throughs the day of games.

There is a big defense between working a team hard in practice and over working a team.  You can absolutely train too much and consequentially hurt your performance on game day.  Coaches are monitoring physical stress on athletes very closely now in both the NBA and NFL to ensure guys are not over worked.  All you need to do is look at how the Spurs have kept their players fresh throughout the season and playoffs the last several years by deliberately giving them games off, and limiting practice and game time.  I have no idea if over training is having any impact on IU's team, but it certainly can't be discounted and is something that any high level athlete should be very aware of.

Actually a lot of coaches have lighter practices to save their players for the games this time of year. But when walk through are tougher than most other practices that tells me he is wearing them down. Hell they do walk throughs the day of games.

I don't think game day walk throughs are anything new

I've heard Knight say in multiple interviews that his goal towards the end of the season was to make sure his players got plenty of rest to keep them fresh.

I think Crean's doing the opposite, I've heard he's fond of long, arduous practices.  It keeps us well conditioned during the early part of the season, but not so much at the end.

If that's true, then I don't know, Crean seems pretty content on doing things his own way.  He seems willing to go down with the ship.

I don't think game day walk throughs are anything new

He did not say that. He said when walk throughs are tougher than practices. Many analysts have described our walk throughs as very intense. Dakich related a story today on how Sampson used to tell him that Creans teams usually wore down at the end of the year. Stephen Bardo was asked a couple years back after he commented on our intense late season practice pace if he thought it contributed to our being tired and he said he thought it did as well.