Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Medema

Skipping College for Oversea's Leagues

I feel like the idea of going overseas to play for a year before entering the NBA draft is a growing trend, or at least a much more discussed idea, than it ever used it be. Can anyone help get a conversation going?

-How many recruits actually go this route?

-Is the trend growing?

-How successful are these players in getting drafted and, when if they do make it to the NBA, do they seem like they are ahead/behind the curve? 

The only guy I can think of that did this successfully was Brandon Jennings. A few others have done it, Jeremy Tyler comes to mind. He's back over there after flaming out in the D-League. Just going off of what I've seen, it isn't the way to go. I don't like it at all. Mudiay did it, got hurt, and now is making zero money because in China, they can void your contract if you get hurt. Now he has to hope he can come back healthy and get drafted.

The reason it's gaining steam is because of college guys complaining about not getting paid (a completey other topic) and thinking they can go grab some paychecks in Czechoserbiaslav when they could have a catastrophic injury and no money/education to fall back on.

Edit: Mudiay actually took out a nice insurance policy on himself if he did get hurt. Still a bad choice.

Not really a trend. I think the media has made it more into a trend then it actually is. Brandon Jennings did it for a year and has been up and down in the NBA. Emmanuel Mudiay went to China, got hurt, and got released. Plus leagues outside of Europe aren't much competition at all. Players are going to get paid big by clubs from small leagues around the world but they aren't going to face a high level of competition and they have no guarantee if they get hurt (Mudiay).