Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

The fans aren't going to the games?

I'll weigh in...I transferred here to be a part of the culture I had heard so much about from family and friends that are current students and alums here, while also earning a degree. A major part of that culture is the basketball program. Ever since I've been old enough to drive, I have much preferred going to a game (any game, not just IU-related) than watching from home. I'm always looking for tickets to something because I just enjoy being in the atmosphere. To me, there is nothing better than being in The Hall for a game. I go alone if I have to because being there beats watching on TV every time for me. I realize my time here is limited so I'll absutely take advantage of every cheap student ticket I can get my hands on. If people don't want to go, that's fine, hopefully you get your ticket sold so as many people are there as possible, but what annoys me are the people that go and have no interest in the game. I kid you not, at the Maryland game I had a group of kids behind me at the end of the first half say "this is boring, let's go get wasted", and left before halftime. Or girls that will go to their GA (!!!!) seats, take pictures for the first half, and leave at halftime. Please, I beg of you, if that's why you're buying tickets, stop so I can get more games in my package.

spot on here Hova. I really don't understand if you're a student who has tickets and doesn't go. For one, you get 4 years of basketball at IU (maybe more depending on the student) to enjoy the student atmosphere and pay a cheap price for tickets. Why would you throw that all away and sit at home? It's something you'll never get back. Don't buy the tickets if you're just going to sell them either. It's much easier for others who want them to get the package instead of bartering with other students each game. This is my 3rd year at IU and I've never missed a game. I would say basketball is close to 50% of the reason I came here. Wish other students had the same mindset about going.

Wow. I decided to read through all the comments before I replied to any.... and now there were so many that i wanted to respond to that I forget.... So now I will just give my opinion (and try to hit the ones I remember).

Somebody mentioned the "Famous Fans" and I can say that Mellancamp has been there everytime I have ever been to a game... including this year.

I agree that technology has made it a great experience to watch games from home... however as somebody else mentioned NOTHING can possibly be better than the atmosphere in Assemby Hall on game day.... I wish I could go to every game. When I do go I stand the entire game (luckily my seats are always right on the wall so nobody tries to get me to sit down). However i had some friends want to go to the UM game with me recently and while tickets are technically available (Stub Hub for example) they were nearly $200 per ticket ($43 face value of my tickets).... I want the place to be packed and everything but I wouldn't pay that much for a ticket... *** I also wouldn't sell my ticket even for that amount

I only get to attend 2 games a year but both this year seemed like the crowd was there. Not a lot of empty seats in the lower section... balconies weren't packed but I don't think they ever really are. I did notice MUCH less of the other teams fans invading (although 1 of the games was OSU so harder to tell). The UM game had much less yellow than prior years.

I don't think it has anything to do with Crean or even the team troubles prior to the season... I truly think it is just a shift in the way people watch sports. But if some students or anybody else aren't using tickets i am all for opening them up at a decent price, I know there are plently of people that would fill the place!!!!

I completely agree with Hova. Nothing compares to being in the Hall and I just hate watching a game that's a mile away from me on TV so I do try to get tickets to every game I can. 

As for the attendance this year, don't be fooled by the pregame pictures because the crowd always fills up except for some parts of the student section probably due to the late arriving crowd. This does point to a student problem and I hope we can fix this issue for next year. In my opinion, the crowd is way louder and packed than last year and I don't even think it's close. Last year was just bad.

One thing I will give credit to my fellow students is that we do know when a big game is coming up and I fully expect a great atmosphere at every other home game we have this year.

Look in the stands at any other game and you will see way more open seats than we have. Just remember that yeah maybe not all of the 17,472 seats are full but we still have more fans at the games than 99% of the NCAA. 

Is that the fans speaking their mind about Crean?

No, it's the student seats, which are sold (actually oversold), but they aren't showing up. It's a nationwide problem. Duke has even started selling Cameron Crazy seats to the general public. But sure, let's blame Crean. It appears Alabama fans hate Nick Saban as well!

YES! We can stick our heads in the sand and discuss a thousand different reasons why or cut the crap and cut to the chase. 90% of it is Crean. I personally know a couple of big time alums who quit supporting last year and won't come back til he is gone. IU filled the place when we were winning 10 games a year but fans thought we were headed in the right direction. If this isnt a wake up call for some then I don't know what will be.

So Duke fans hate Coach K? Using your logic, yes. They can't fill their student section either, which is tiny.

Like i said before its a bit of drive plus getting out of work early is a pain. If I was a student i would be at all the games.........i just dont get how you can go there and not go to any games......... i know a lot of kids just want to party, but if you have season tickets why not go? I guess im just jealous because ive only been to one game, the year that we lost to Syracuse in the sweet 16, It still is one of my favorite moments ever, the atmosphere alone was amazing, the people were friendly, and when i hear about students who can walk to the hall it ticks me off they dont go.   

I don't think this can really be pinned to one particular thing.

I think the preseason has a lot to do with it. The news really riled up the fan base and got negative vibes going. It took a way a lot of preseason excitement or hype. Then, the team didn't really pull a big NAME win to make the fans say "oh wow, we have a really good team this year." Yeah the record is good, but casual fans aren't going to pay attention unless theres a big news win.

And other fans are probably just not so inclined to go. Taking the bus to games is a NIGHTMARE. A lot of the time because of heavy traffic the bus just makes you get off at Briscoe. I know thats not too far of a walk (and thats why I do it, when I am able to go to the games) but it is an inconvenience and not so fun in the cold when the alternative is sit in your room with friends comfortably.

Then of course there are kids who's parents buy them the tickets but aren't really basketball fans, so there are other things to do on game day. IU as a university doesn't want to be defined by its basketball program and rightfully so. The fact of the matter is there is so much to do on campus, sometimes kids don't make time to go to the games.

I may be reading too far into your post but the numerous off court issues got the negative vibes going not the news.

As for the preseason hype I would argue there was very little. I thought we could be a top 4 team in the BT and can only remember a handful of others who felt the same. Most of the national pundits predicted us to finish in the 7-10 range so not sure what hype there might be.

I am not sure if this is an indictment on Crean though. As suggested it appears to be students who are not showing up. Alumni are waiting to get tickets so if that drops off then that might be more telling.

It does bear watching though as that was one of the indicators of Davis' lack of support

Like i said before its a bit of drive plus getting out of work early is a pain. If I was a student i would be at all the games.........i just dont get how you can go there and not go to any games......... i know a lot of kids just want to party, but if you have season tickets why not go? I guess im just jealous because ive only been to one game, the year that we lost to Syracuse in the sweet 16, It still is one of my favorite moments ever, the atmosphere alone was amazing, the people were friendly, and when i hear about students who can walk to the hall it ticks me off they dont go.

I agree that if bought tickets, you should do everything in your power to go. But it's also good to keep in mind that buying season tickets as a students gets you around 8-10 of the 20 some odd home games. I'm sure there are students who want to go to every game, practice, and exhibition possible, but to spend a ton of money on season tickets and then have to spend more on the individual games that people are selling tickets for? That's a lot to spend... And conflicts happen. Teacher give exams in the evenings, band and orchestra concerts are in the evenings (which are always a good thing to go to, our ensembles are GREAT), projects need to be done, and it isn't exactly easy to just trade tickets with someone else because you can't make it to a game.

I don't want to support people missing games and I love the atmosphere of a packed AH. One of my first games playing in the band at AH was the MSU game in 2012 (they were #5 and we were in the teens). It was so loud that I couldn't hear myself play, let alone the rest of the band. But before we start blaming people and getting mad because the students hate IU, remember that a lot happens on campus every night besides basketball.

I really don't understand the terrible attendance this year. I'm a current senior in the basketball pep band, so I've never missed a single home game in the past 4 years. And I can say, without a doubt, that attendance this years has been far worse than the past 3 years. Even last year, when we were rather disappointing, people showed up. But this year, outside of the Maryland game, AH hasn't been packed like it usually is. Even the "bigger" games like SMU, Pitt, Michigan, etc were not completely full. I get that the schedule is not as food as it has been in past years, but games are still fun to be at even when we're winning by 25 against Mississippi Valley State.

I've also noticed a lot more fans leaving games early this year. That frustrates me to no end.

Came down for Michigan, couldn't get a ticket, used to be if you got a student ticket, you could buy up to admit, box office will not allow it. Always used to be scalpers outside, now none. Part of the reason it's not full is that out of towners just can't get a hold of unused tickets like they used to. Now if you don't have tickets lined up when you hit the lot, you're screwed.

Another thing I noticed is that there are more tickets allotted to students than in the past. If you have class, or a study group you may not be able to attend, and with the large apportionment, it's no wonder there are empty seats. Hell, my daughter missed three games last fall because of class conflict.

I may be reading too far into your post but the numerous off court issues got the negative vibes going not the news.

As for the preseason hype I would argue there was very little. I thought we could be a top 4 team in the BT and can only remember a handful of others who felt the same. Most of the national pundits predicted us to finish in the 7-10 range so not sure what hype there might be.

I am not sure if this is an indictment on Crean though. As suggested it appears to be students who are not showing up. Alumni are waiting to get tickets so if that drops off then that might be more telling.

It does bear watching though as that was one of the indicators of Davis' lack of support

I wasn't around when Davis was here. What were some tell-tale signs that he wasn't the right guy for the job? Students not going to the game?

I had my student season tickets taken away because I missed first semester to go to basic training. This would have been my fourth year in a row with season tickets. Now I have to buy tickets individually or hit the bars on game day because I don't have cable. Last time I was at the bar for a game I had a drunk person wander over to me and make fun of me for drinking a water. (I was hungover and it was 2 PM on a Sunday). This person went on to say that she had tickets to the game but her group didn't go because they didn't think the game would be exciting. We were playing Michigan. 

Seats are empty because students are dumb.

Nope. Not to make an extra few bucks. Because I don't want to go. I don't care if I'm part of the problem. People are buying my tickets and most likely using them. I don't want to stand up for a couple hours when I can sit on my couch, not have to pay $4 for a drink, and don't have to worry about parking/walking to the game. As far as "pregaming" goes, no thank you. Not every college student is just like you buddy.

I mean, seriously? If you can't see that watching a game in the Hall is more than just standing to watch the same game as you would at home then they're better off without you there. Whether you drink or not or whatever, I don't care. But, if you love this basketball team it's your duty to go to games if you're able. To stand up. To cheer and yell. To wiggle your fingers during our free throws and make an unreasonable amount of noise during theirs. The idea of sitting in the student section blows my mind. What happened to the "Stand-up old people" kids? No one should be sitting and passively watching the game while you're there, if you are you're missing the point. The reason that the Hall intimidates other teams and we have such a stellar win record there isn't because of the building, it's because of the fans. If you're not willing to be part of that then it's best you stay the hell out.

I only was able to go to one game this year (stupid 2,258 mile distance) and it was a cupcake, I still didn't just sit there and watch like a slug. I envy so hard everyone who has the privilege to be there for more games. And if you don't want to exercise that privilege, then don't get tickets. Give other people the chance to go in your place.