Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Interesting read about Coach Knight, Thoughts?

I grew up with the man as our coach but honestly by the mid to late 90s was ready for him to be gone. He pulled a lot of stupid crap.

Edit: Wanted him gone in a responsible way. The administration mishandled it and has proceeded to screw up miserably since.

Growing up I have heard many Knight stories from my parents who are IU alums and also my grandpa. I am too young to remember him but of course I was born in 92 so the only coaches I remember are Davis to Crean. 

I grew up with the man as our coach but honestly by the mid to late 90s was ready for him to be gone. He pulled a lot of stupid crap.

Edit: Wanted him gone in a responsible way. The administration mishandled it and has proceeded to screw up miserably since.

exactly my feelings too.

Reading back thru this just makes me feel for Ron Felling. Talk about a great coach. I cannot believe he didn't go on to be a Head Coach at a major college program. Sad.

I'm currently back researching this all with Davis, Felling, and Knight.

Found this on Felling vs Knight

Davis also recalled an incident involving Felling that he characterized as disloyal to IU basketball: "We was doing individual workouts one day, and he was at the football game he had been tailgating, and he was - he was drunk, and he slapped" Luke Recker. Davis gave no date or other details.
On the other hand, David testified, Felling’s disloyalty was not the exception: "You know, if he said it, I probably said it too, so it wasn’t like that he was the only one saying something."

I'm currently back researching this all with Davis, Felling, and Knight.

Found this on Felling vs Knight

Davis also recalled an incident involving Felling that he characterized as disloyal to IU basketball: "We was doing individual workouts one day, and he was at the football game he had been tailgating, and he was - he was drunk, and he slapped" Luke Recker. Davis gave no date or other details.
On the other hand, David testified, Felling’s disloyalty was not the exception: "You know, if he said it, I probably said it too, so it wasn’t like that he was the only one saying something."

Felling slapped Recker? Wow.

It absolutely should've been handled differently.

No one will ever deny RMK had issues, his issues had issues.  I'll admit I'm an unashamed and unapologetic Bob Knight fan, always have been and always will be, and I won't condone some of the things he did.

I went to school at IU from 1994 to 1999.  I only ever directly exchanged words with RMK one time, although I was in the vicinity of his wrath on another occasion.

I was on the Student Athletic Board (SAB) for various assignments as a student and for one year, I got to do some work in the basement of Assembly Hall. 

The one time I actually spoke to RMK, I was exiting The Hall during daytime hours with my SAB Director.  RMK was coming in right at the moment we were leaving, he was dressed as if he had come back from fishing.  I don't remember his exact words anymore but he said something along the lines of "How are you boys doing?" and we just said "Good, coach!".  And that was that.  lol

The wrath, that happened one night at Assembly Hall during the 1996-97 season.  We had meetings in the basement at night.  On on particular night, as I walked in I noticed the players were walking in with me.  Patterson, Reed, Miller, etc.  Met up with the other SAB guys in front of the trophy case at the main entrance to wait for our director.  As we waited, the assistant coaches came in too.  Dakich waved at us. 

Anyways, not more than a minute or two after the assistants walked in, we could suddenly hear RMK just cussing up a blue streak about something.  He must have been in his office.  We never saw him walk in.  But boy he was pissed about something.  We all looked at each other like 'oh shit' and about that time, the person we were waiting on arrived so we made our way downstairs.

Oh and I was at the infamous Teddy V game against Illinois, and yes I thought Bobby was going to go Woody Hayes on him at the end of the first half.  The gasps were audible in my section as he approached TV Ted. 

I started watching/listening to IU basketball in the '50's so I remember the Knight years from start to finish. That he was a great basketball coach is a given. He professed so many values that seemed so right and yet acted at times so badly. I have never understood him and to this day I'm not sure exactly how I feel about Coach Knight.

I feel he's a phenomenal basketball mind, and a very complex person.  He did good things off the basketball court, the money he raised for the IU library system and he gave money to a library fund at Texas Tech, you didn't hear of nearly as much; and we're all very familiar with the controversies that followed him.

Like I said, a basketball mind with few equals and a very complex individual.

I went to school at IU from 1994 to 1999. I only ever directly exchanged words with RMK one time, although I was in the vicinity of his wrath on another occasion.

I was on the Student Athletic Board (SAB) for various assignments as a student and for one year, I got to do some work in the basement of Assembly Hall.

The one time I actually spoke to RMK, I was exiting The Hall during daytime hours with my SAB Director. RMK was coming in right at the moment we were leaving, he was dressed as if he had come back from fishing. I don't remember his exact words anymore but he said something along the lines of "How are you boys doing?" and we just said "Good, coach!". And that was that. lol

The wrath, that happened one night at Assembly Hall during the 1996-97 season. We had meetings in the basement at night. On on particular night, as I walked in I noticed the players were walking in with me. Patterson, Reed, Miller, etc. Met up with the other SAB guys in front of the trophy case at the main entrance to wait for our director. As we waited, the assistant coaches came in too. Dakich waved at us.

Anyways, not more than a minute or two after the assistants walked in, we could suddenly hear RMK just cussing up a blue streak about something. He must have been in his office. We never saw him walk in. But boy he was pissed about something. We all looked at each other like 'oh ****' and about that time, the person we were waiting on arrived so we made our way downstairs.

Oh and I was at the infamous Teddy V game against Illinois, and yes I thought Bobby was going to go Woody Hayes on him at the end of the first half. The gasps were audible in my section as he approached TV Ted.

Damn good story man. Thanks for sharing that.

Moral of the story, make sure to get bobby out fishing more.

Just curious, but for those who think it was time for Bob to go, how should the administration have handled that?

I never felt like it was time for a change, but nobody can deny the lull of the mid-90's.  I think RMK was in the process of getting things back on track though.  I mean he basically assembled the 2002 title game team. 

Brand certainly had an agenda.  I don't think it is any coincidence that he ended up heading the NCAA not long after firing Bobby. 

That isn't to say RMK was without faults and this or that.  I was never that outraged when he got fired.  It was surreal but the writing was on the wall with Zero Tolerance.

If that Neil Reed video doesn't come out, who knows?  I mean that was obviously the primary catalyst in a change occurring.  That and not winning a championship lately.  I don't think the Reed/CNNSI thing has the same effect if IU was coming off another championship.  :-P