Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CheddarDavis

Projected B1G standings

So, I got bored tonight and decided to look through each team in the conference's remaining schedule and try to predict their results, and therefore the final conference standings. I tried to do it without any bias (pro-IU, anti-Purdue, or otherwise). PS, these rankings include tiebreakers per B1G tourney guidelines, so this would represent conference tourney seeding as well. Tiebreakers are in parentheses. Here's what I came up with:

1) Wisconsin 15-3
2) Maryland 14-4
3) IU 13-5 (2-1 vs MSU/Iowa, 0-1 vs Wisconsin, 1-1 vs Maryland)
4) MSU 13-5 (2-1 vs IU/Iowa, 0-1 vs Wisconsin, 0-2 vs Maryland
5) Iowa 13-5 (1-2 vs MSU/IU)
6) OSU 12-6
7) Purdue 11-7 (1-0 vs Michigan)
8) Michigan 11-7 (0-1 vs Purdue)
9) Illinois 9-9
10) Nebraska 6-12 (1-1 vs Minnesota, 0 wins vs top 3, 1-0 vs MSU)
11) Minnesota 6-12 (1-1 vs Nebraska, 0 wins vs top 3, 0-1 vs MSU)
12) Penn State 5-13
13) Northwestern 3-15
14) Rutgers 2-16

I would love for us to be seeded 3rd. That means we wouldn't meet Wisconsin until the finals of the B1G tourney (if, of course, we even made it that far). If we were 4 or 5, we'd meet them in the semis. We'd meet the 6 seed (OSU) in the quarterfinals, however, which is a tough 6 seed matchup.

This is all assuming we win out at home, lose @Wisky and @Maryland, but win @Rutgers and @Northwestern. Any number of things could change there

Thoughts?

Interesting projections. This next week's games are important with regard to standings and seeding the B1G tourney. I was wondering how the 14 team field would be drawn up and I hope your projected standings hold true. IMO, IU needs to show success in a tournament setting, so we need to survive and advance in our conference tournament. Showing this would impact our seeding in the NCAA tourney. (Yes, I'm feeling confident about being in the field provided we don't have an "end of the season collapse".) That said, I want to see us in the most advantageous position and that would be finishing #4 or better to get us playing our first game on Friday. Playing 3 straight days is better than expecting this team to win 5 straight. JMO.

I like it, but I believe Ohio State is a very good team and would finish above Mich St. but I could be wrong.

I do agree with you with Ohio State is better than Michigan State. But OSU's remaining schdduke seems a little harder in my opinion and I see them losing more games.