Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Who this team is and where they're going

This isn't a thread about this season. For anyone saying "can't we just enjoy this year/take it one year at a time," this isn't the thread for you. I'm looking at the next 3-5 years. Does anyone see a nationally contending team going forward in the forseeable future?

As far as I can tell, we don't have a backup PG, one who can really step in and lead once Yogi's gone. We have serviceable ball handlers, but no true facilitators. PG is the toughest position to transition into at the college level. Any quality PG we get in the next few seasons is going to take a year or two to adapt, which means we may not have a real PG leading this team until 2018.

The shooters are here and we'll most likely never have a shooting gap like we did last year, but it's only one part of an offense.

Wings under Crean are a dime a dozen. Not an issue.

Big men continue to be an issue, as Crean has yet to land a Center not named Tom Pritchard who has stayed beyond two years. If we land another OAD, it only solves the problem for a season. If we land a serviceable big man like we thought we had in Fischer, it may again take a year or two to get them going, which means we may yet again not have a functional big man as a real solution until 2017/2018.

I didn't want this to turn into a Fire Crean thread, as we have enough of those, but as I typed this, I can't help but objectively conclude that at this point he can't even realistically field a well-rounded championship contending team within the next few seasons. The recruiting is too lopsided and the roster holes are too big.

Does anyone see anything different than the picture that appears to be forming in front of us? 

This isn't a thread about this season. For anyone saying "can't we just enjoy this year/take it one year at a time," this isn't the thread for you. I'm looking at the next 3-5 years. Does anyone see a nationally contending team going forward in the forseeable future?

As far as I can tell, we don't have a backup PG, one who can really step in and lead once Yogi's gone. We have serviceable ball handlers, but no true facilitators. PG is the toughest position to transition into at the college level. Any quality PG we get in the next few seasons is going to take a year or two to adapt, which means we may not have a real PG leading this team until 2018.

The shooters are here and we'll most likely never have a shooting gap like we did last year, but it's only one part of an offense.

Wings under Crean are a dime a dozen. Not an issue.

Big men continue to be an issue, as Crean has yet to land a Center not named Tom Pritchard who has stayed beyond two years. If we land another OAD, it only solves the problem for a season. If we land a serviceable big man like we thought we had in Fischer, it may again take a year or two to get them going, which means we may yet again not have a functional big man as a real solution until 2017/2018.

I didn't want this to turn into a Fire Crean thread, as we have enough of those, but as I typed this, I can't help but objectively conclude that at this point he can't even realistically field a well-rounded championship contending within the next few seasons. The recruiting is too lopsided and the roster holes are too big.

Does anyone see anything different than the picture that appears to be forming in front of us?

nope, when his recruiting hit the skids I knew we were SOL. Recruiting is the forecast and his recruiting has been weak for a year and a half. And if anyone needs talent to win, it's Crean.

I see almost exactly what you see even though I so badly want to see otherwise!

Recruiting, program running, player development, game preparation, and in-game coaching are all key ingredients to a successful coach/program and the only area I think we are above average in MIGHT be program running and with all the off court troubles lately I'm not so sure about that.

I'm willing to throw out the first three years of Creans tenure. Program was a wreck and I think everyone concedes that.

Just judging on the last four years. Is this what we're willing to settle for?I hope not!I wanna win...every year...and be nationally relevant EVERY year!

WE AREN'T CLOSE!

I see almost exactly what you see even though I so badly want to see otherwise!

Recruiting, program running, player development, game preparation, and in-game coaching are all key ingredients to a successful coach/program and the only area I think we are above average in MIGHT be program running and with all the off court troubles lately I'm not so sure about that.

I'm willing to throw out the first three years of Creans tenure. Program was a wreck and I think everyone concedes that.

Just judging on the last four years. Is this what we're willing to settle for?I hope not!I wanna win...every year...and be nationally relevant EVERY year!

WE AREN'T CLOSE!

you could argue we are not even third in OUR state. Ugly stuff!

Good thread. I've been saying this for a few months now. If we aren't building for a championship (national, big ten, big ten tournament), then what are we doing? It's like we are stuck in neutral and we have wasted 2 years of a McD AA point guard. His freshman year we had the talent but he wasn't ready yet. Now he has been strong for 2 seasons and we can't field a quality team around him.

The only way we compete for any championship next season is if we land a grad transfer center. Someone physically ready for the rigors of high major basketball.

I'm not willing to give Crean a pass on his first 3 seasons bc he regressed in conference from year 2 to year 3. That was a big red flag that he might not be as good as we hoped. He got Zeller and we had a great 2 year span. Everything else has been trash, what ifs, a piece away.

Say we land Bryant. He won't be elite his freshman year. Then yogi graduates and we have to break in a new pg for a season. Now Blackmon is a senior if he is still around and we have wasted his college career bc we couldn't get a proper roster built to have sustained success. It's maddening and we get to look forward to some more creaming to make room for our current signed recruits and any big we can get this spring.

As good of a guy as CTC is, he has clearly been in way over his head for his entire tenure here. Even Marquette has been more consistent with Buzz.

Sadly I agree, the future looks pretty bleak. I just don't understand how you blow this job.

Buzz left for VT. Wojo is having a tough season at Marquette. 9th in the Big East at 10-10. Yikes.

What are your thoughts on Tom Crean and the direction of the program?

Doing better than I expected this year. Thought it was going to be another year close to last year. Direction isn't good. I'm just not following the dodos off the cliff.

Take shots. At least I'm consistent.

and again, not taking shots but stating facts. Our preseason prediction was appalling and I place the blame on the coach. You don't seem to have any issue wit it. It denotes your loyalty to the coach. I'm being honest with my assessments, not taking shots.

and again, not taking shots but stating facts. Our preseason prediction was appalling and I place the blame on the coach. You don't seem to have any issue wit it. It denotes your loyalty to the coach. I'm being honest with my assessments, not taking shots.

I have literally never said I didn't take issue with our 9-10th in the B1G ranking. I personally pegged us 6-7. Still not ok with that. Before tonight, we were tied for first and then in third after the OSU loss. We will probably finish in the top 5, and possible the top 3.

I posted a while ago saying we all want to win the championship and nothing else matters. That's still true. I just want to enjoy each season in the process. I get zero enjoyment out of jumping off the cliff after a loss like this.