Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

During the MSU game, when we were down 20+ would his participation have jeopardized the game situation? I would argue keeping HP or Holt in risks injury in a game we were going to lose

People would have ripped crean for not getting Holt minutes/experience. At this point even if we win the B10 people will find something to complain about.

I don't see what the big deal is honestly. We tried with the two of them and it doesn't look like they will add much. I doubt we see them next year. Not saying I want them gone but we have two players coming in and two have to go so Im just looking at the obvious. We took a one year risk on two guys. I don't see it as a big deal

Im not sure that is a great precedent to set at college basketball program. Give kids a scholly then when they don't workout after a year just let them go. I mean what if these kids don't want to go? They'd rather wait it out and see if they can get some playing time as an upperclassmen. Does IU just disregard their scholly and kick me out the front door?

Im not sure that is a great precedent to set at college basketball program. Give kids a scholly then when they don't workout after a year just let them go. I mean what if these kids don't want to go? They'd rather wait it out and see if they can get some playing time as an upperclassmen. Does IU just disregard their scholly and kick me out the front door?

I'm not saying you push them out the door, but when it comes down it kids would rather play at a smaller school than be part of the bench mob. Look at Jurkin. He wanted to play and thought he was ready, coaching staff didn't think so , so he transferred. Im not saying that is how it is going to go with April/Priller but if they were working hard enough they would be in the game. Ryan Burton played last night because he is tough and he works hard. This situation where a kid realizes he isn't going to get playing time he thinks he deserves and transfers out is old news, its nothing new at all and it happens all over the country

Is it possible the bigs were given a scholarship because they could contribute in practice?  We're talking about the 11th, 12th, 13th guys on the bench.  Would you rather have our bigs practicing against 6-7 wings or going at it with 7 footers in practice?  I'm sure it's clear to everyone what you have to do to see the floor in games.

The situation is what it is, coach Crean's system uses a big and/or long PF at the 5.  We've had injuries and are dealing with them.  The entire team has to overcome them together. 

maybe he had a good practice before Louisville and Crean was desperately trying to promote hard work and rewarded him for it.

good point I bet that is it. I would award a guy for actually having a good practice for once by giving him meaningful minutes against the number five team in the nation lol. Just admit there is know rhyme or reason to what creans subs r. It is what it is

good point I bet that is it. I would award a guy for actually having a good practice for once by giving him meaningful minutes against the number five team in the nation lol. Just admit there is know rhyme or reason to what creans subs r. It is what it is

No rhyme or reason to his sub pattern? You should read Crean's comments on that idea earlier this week. 

Alex Bozich (@insidethehall):[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]RT [/size][/font]@ZachOsterman[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Crean: "A lot of our subbing, it's not pin the tail on the donkey, like I think some people like to think it is." [/size][/font]#iubb

He did use a hell of an anaogy to describe his own sub patterns though. No one even here could come up with that one, so Crean does get points for creativity. Funny thing is he never did explain his sub patterns. He must have thought our fan base wasn't knowledgeable enough to understand them. The same one telling him how to beat a zone lol.

Alex Bozich (@insidethehall):
RT @ZachOsterman Crean: "A lot of our subbing, it's not pin the tail on the donkey, like I think some people like to think it is." #iubb

Again--we don't know everything----so there is no reason to always jump to the negative conclusion.

Crean started Hartman at the 5 probably because Hartman worked the hardest in practice---that's the way it was during the Knight era too. Playing time is a reward for hard work and effort.

However---I still thinks April need SOME playing time if he's ever going to improve---that is an area I don't understand Crean's thinking about.

Giving playing time to players who do not earn minutes in practice, especially when kids like Hartman, Holt, Burton, and Priller are working their ever-loving asses off, sends a terrible message, kills team morale, and is a terrible idea. Given what we've learned, it's likely a big part of the reason that Hanner got very little run his first two years.

If Jeremiah April has a crappy work ethic, kudos to the coaching staff for not putting him into games.

Period.

I agree 100 percent with what you are saying. So that must mean Hollowell was great in practice time and time again, because he saw all kinds of playing time. I don't buy it. Pin the tail seems more realistic then that scenario.

I agree 100 percent with what you are saying. So that must mean Hollowell was great in practice time and time again, because he saw all kinds of playing time. I don't buy it. Pin the tail seems more realistic then that scenario.

I think last year was more of pure desperation for someone to play. When Austin Etherington starts a handful of games, your team is in trouble haha