Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Crean mentioned on his radio show, which aired after the HP injury, that April needed to learn to practice harder.

I would like to see him get some minutes as I think that will help him see how far behind he is. We took a flyer on him and Priller though so not much was expected this year. I am cool with talking a flyer on a big but we do not have a good track record of developing moderately ranked bigs

Its a beautiful month. The grass is greening, birds are chirping, temps are nice, mushrooms are out.....Oh wait a minute.....I think immediately on his arrival in Btown he fell under the curse of The Boot of Death! Somebody has to carry the burden since Jurkin is gone.

First of all, if I had been Jurkin, I would have changed my name...c'mon, "Peter Jurkin" -- really? Of course, he might have changed his name to Dick.

What I saw of April (precious little) in the pre-B1G-season demonstrated good hands and athleticism. 

If he needs to practice harder, I say put him on the floor in a game and let him get embarrassed into it. For sure he should have been on the floor against Michigan State when we were in the "nothing-to-lose" situation.

I agree, put him in and see how he does.... some players are under the lights kinda guys.... Maybe he doesn't practice hard because he has never had too, he has always towered above his competition so practice meant nothing.... Put him on the floor and let him tower some more... or if he doesn't maybe something will click that he needs to practice more at this level.... You never know until you try.... I understand the coaching staff has seen and knows more about him than I do.... but they don't know how he fares in game situations any better than i do... because we have all seen the same thing.

If he cannot perform in practice to please the staff, there is no reason I trust him in an important game.

Maybe not but as a GREAT basketball player once said.... "PRACTICE.... We are talking about PRACTICE"

I agree with the thought process.... But did he (AI) ever not practice hard, subsequently go into a game and blow up... Don't know the answer but I am sure he did.

And on the other hand did he ever not practice hard, subsequently go into a game and get eaten alive... then derive the need to practice internally....?

A coach telling you that you need to practice or that you are not ready for this level of ball is 1 thing, and for some people that would be motivation.... but if you go out in a game in front of fans, teamates, and tv and get used that is another thing and a much more personal reason to ramp it up in practice to make sure that doesn't happen again.

All I am saying is give him his shot.... either option isn't bad.... either he does good or maybe he realizes he has to practice harder to improve.

He deserves a shot. If earned. But to put him on the court, and jeopardize the teams game situation, is foolish. And, you as coaching staff can determine what that liklihood is.

During the MSU game, when we were down 20+ would his participation have jeopardized the game situation? I would argue keeping HP or Holt in risks injury in a game we were going to lose

During the MSU game, when we were down 20+ would his participation have jeopardized the game situation? I would argue keeping HP or Holt in risks injury in a game we were going to lose

I agree, but there could be a different angle as well...

Hanner and Holt were dealt a hot steamy dish of adversity.  Would it be more important to let them sit on the bench through it and get April some game experience, or have Holt/Hanner try to dig their way out of the hole they were partially to blame for while on the court.   

Game experience is everything, and some game experiences that need to be learned only happen in certain situations, like being down by a LOT, being on the verge of losing/winning a game, stopping an opponents "run", going on a run of your own, etc.  The MSU game was a situation that anyone on the team could have benefited from, especially the 3 of Holt/Hanner/April, who operate in our team's most vulnerable position.  

But who would you play? Who would be the most important for us to experience that certain situation and learn from it?   From this lens, it doesn't sound like April would make the biggest impact for this team in learning that, compared to Hanner or Holt. 

Crean mentioned on his radio show, which aired after the HP injury, that April needed to learn to practice harder.

I would like to see him get some minutes as I think that will help him see how far behind he is. We took a flyer on him and Priller though so not much was expected this year. I am cool with talking a flyer on a big but we do not have a good track record of developing moderately ranked bigs

I am also cool with taking a flyer on a big. What I am not cool with is the fact that he took a flyer on 2 bigs and it looks like neither of those 2 are going to see the floor ever, or at least in the foreseeable future.

I am also cool with taking a flyer on a big. What I am not cool with is the fact that he took a flyer on 2 bigs and it looks like neither of those 2 are going to see the floor ever, or at least in the foreseeable future.

I don't see what the big deal is honestly. We tried with the two of them and it doesn't look like they will add much. I doubt we see them next year. Not saying I want them gone but we have two players coming in and two have to go so Im just looking at the obvious. We took a one year risk on two guys. I don't see it as a big deal