Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierTrav

Watching Caleb Swanigan

I went to the YMCA this evening to work out and ended up catching 5* Big man Caleb Swanigan getting some open runs with solid local talent. He was MAYBE giving 50% effort and was by far the best player on the court. I'm not sure that we have any real shot at landing him, but he definitely is a big that can make us a top 10 team next year. His skill level for his size is off the charts. Oh and he can flat out SHOOT THE 3!!

I went to the YMCA this evening to work out and ended up catching 5* Big man Caleb Swanigan getting some open runs with solid local talent. He was MAYBE giving 50% effort and was by far the best player on the court. I'm not sure that we have any real shot at landing him, but he definitely is a big that can make us a top 10 team next year. His skill level for his size is off the charts. Oh and he can flat out SHOOT THE 3!!

No thank you.

No thank you.

No offense but I think you're being paranoid. You're assuming wrongdoing when its more than likely that there's none. Barnes has been Biggies guardian long before anyone, let alone scouting services, thought he'd be where he is today. We'd be CRAZY to back off this kid. Let me ask you this: If he's such a big risk, why hasn't Izzo backed off? Why is Coach K turning up the heat? Two programs that are as clean as a whistle. I for one dont like seeing these kids get away. I especially hate when our own fan base makes the most ridiculous assumptions of wrongdoing. If there was the slightest chance of foul play, Coach K and Izzo would move on. Especially Duke! They have other options. Cant say the same about us. We NEED this kid.

No offense but I think you're being paranoid. You're assuming wrongdoing when its more than likely that there's none. Barnes has been Biggies guardian long before anyone, let alone scouting services, thought he'd be where he is today. We'd be CRAZY to back off this kid. Let me ask you this: If he's such a big risk, why hasn't Izzo backed off? Why is Coach K turning up the heat? Two programs that are as clean as a whistle. I for one dont like seeing these kids get away. I especially hate when our own fan base makes the most ridiculous assumptions of wrongdoing. If there was the slightest chance of foul play, Coach K and Izzo would move on. Especially Duke! They have other options. Cant say the same about us. We NEED this kid.

Eh?  I don't really agree with the underlined above.  I'm not saying coach Izzo or coach K are dirty but those programs, under those coaches, have received players.  Didn't coach Izzo receive a one game suspension for a recruiting violation a few years back?

Eh? I don't really agree with the underlined above. I'm not saying coach Izzo or coach K are dirty but those programs, under those coaches, have received players. Didn't coach Izzo receive a one game suspension for a recruiting violation a few years back?

my vote for MSU and Duke is NOT CLEAN! Nope $100,000 jewelry loan to the Dukie. Too many MSU stories too.

Per inside source as of this week, his "mentor" is looking for a job or to "get his" from this deal. Local inside basketball talk.
BUT basketball wise, he'd be perfect. Unselfish, good hands, good FTs, slimmed down, dominated boards. Yep, he'd be perfect.

And we hired Drew Adams for his expertise coaching skills...not because his father operates A-Hope. Come on. I think all this handler hoopla around Swanigan is a cover up for the fact that we don't have a shot with him and he's the best true big to come out of the state since Zeller. Crean was late into the game to begin with and wasn't close to being the first one to offer him. Maybe he's too big in Crean's mind? If he was THAT dirty then MSU, PU and Duke wouldn't still be involved.I'm not saying the handler is clean and I'm not saying IU should "give in" but to act like we didn't continue to recruit kids in the past even though they had "handlers" is naive of us.

my vote for MSU and Duke is NOT CLEAN! Nope $100,000 jewelry loan to the Dukie. Too many MSU stories too.

The $100,000 had nothing to do with the Duke Program and everything to do with the player. The MSU stories are just that....Stories. If they had legs, they'd have walked into a trap by now. Indiana on the other hand, has been caught and punished. Not saying the punishment fit the crime but technically these other programs have done a better job of staying clean than we have. I'm not sure its very wise for Indiana fans to be judgemental of programs like MSU and Duke. Heck Tom Crean even had an NCAA violation at the end of Gary Harris' recruitment. If this is the standard in which we judge, I think we can call ourselves unclean. No?

And we hired Drew Adams for his expertise coaching skills...not because his father operates A-Hope. Come on. I think all this handler hoopla around Swanigan is a cover up for the fact that we don't have a shot with him and he's the best true big to come out of the state since Zeller. Crean was late into the game to begin with and wasn't close to being the first one to offer him. Maybe he's too big in Crean's mind? If he was THAT dirty then MSU, PU and Duke wouldn't still be involved.I'm not saying the handler is clean and I'm not saying IU should "give in" but to act like we didn't continue to recruit kids in the past even though they had "handlers" is naive of us.

Amen sir! Amen!

The $100,000 had nothing to do with the Duke Program and everything to do with the player. The MSU stories are just that....Stories. If they had legs, they'd have walked into a trap by now. Indiana on the other hand, has been caught and punished. Not saying the punishment fit the crime but technically these other programs have done a better job of staying clean than we have. I'm not sure its very wise for Indiana fans to be judgemental of programs like MSU and Duke. Heck Tom Crean even had an NCAA violation at the end of Gary Harris' recruitment. If this is the standard in which we judge, I think we can call ourselves unclean. No?

i never said we are clean. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. I hate that saying but it holds some truth. All big programs skirt the rules and we aren't immune. Blaming players in that Duke situation is silly to me. The program sets the environment and connections these kids have. The perks the individual partakes in even though not directly affiliated with the school are actually likely much more affiliated with "the program" that many wish to believe. Plausible deniability. It happens everywhere, including Duke.

i never said we are clean. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. I hate that saying but it holds some truth. All big programs skirt the rules and we aren't immune. Blaming players in that Duke situation is silly to me. The program sets the environment and connections these kids have. The perks the individual partakes in even though not directly affiliated with the school are actually likely much more affiliated with "the program" that many wish to believe. Plausible deniability. It happens everywhere, including Duke.

You know I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes that never gets out. Even the smallest things could give an advantage.

You know I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes that never gets out. Even the smallest things could give an advantage.

I only know a very small percentage of what goes on at only a few programs through connections I've made over the years.  Take what you think you know and multiply that by a bunch.  I LOVE college sports but it's becoming more and more difficult to watch knowing what goes on behind the scenes.  Like Fleek said above we're not immune to that.  I guess it's mostly just a matter of degree you're wiling to skirt the rules.

So we are now judging recruits based on how they do in local YMCAs? Solid. 

I was just pointing out how skilled the kid is. We have the scout services, his list of offers, and his game history to judge his ability.  Not sure why you felt the need to make your snarky comment. It would be much different if I was speaking on a player that nobody had heard of before.

I was just pointing out how skilled the kid is. We have the scout services, his list of offers, and his game history to judge his ability.  Not sure why you felt the need to make your snarky comment. It would be much different if I was speaking on a player that nobody had heard of before.

Wasn't snarky at all. Maybe you took it that way, but it wasn't my intent. 
I'm just saying of course the kid looked like a beast when playing against local talent at a YMCA. I frequently go to the rec center at Ball St and there are tons of kids that hardly got college offers that dominate and put on a dunk fest during rec games, but you have to take into account the context of the games

Wasn't snarky at all. Maybe you took it that way, but it wasn't my intent. 
I'm just saying of course the kid looked like a beast when playing against local talent at a YMCA. I frequently go to the rec center at Ball St and there are tons of kids that hardly got college offers that dominate and put on a dunk fest during rec games, but you have to take into account the context of the games

My apologies for misreading. There were other kids on the floor with Division 1 offers/interest. Its common at this particular Y here in Fort Wayne. I agree that you wont see much in open runs typically, but to see a guy his size move and shoot the way he did was something that you wont usually get to see without paying an admission fee. I just wanted to bring it up on here that he definitely was a special talent.