Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierTrav

Watching Caleb Swanigan

My apologies for misreading. There were other kids on the floor with Division 1 offers/interest. Its common at this particular Y here in Fort Wayne. I agree that you wont see much in open runs typically, but to see a guy his size move and shoot the way he did was something that you wont usually get to see without paying an admission fee. I just wanted to bring it up on here that he definitely was a special talent.

Yeah too bad he has never had any interest in becoming a Hoosier

Yeah too bad he has never had any interest in becoming a Hoosier

Right!? My theory is that many kids, that are being recruited currently, have not grown up watching a relevant/consistently winning program. That's why consistency at or near the top is crucial for our future ability to recruit in state kids. If we can make noise in the tournament this season, land a significant post player, and go into next season with Final Four aspirations, we can start to burn our brand into these young kids minds as a desirable program.

Right!? My theory is that many kids, that are being recruited currently, have not grown up watching a relevant/consistently winning program. That's why consistency at or near the top is crucial for our future ability to recruit in state kids. If we can make noise in the tournament this season, land a significant post player, and go into next season with Final Four aspirations, we can start to burn our brand into these young kids minds as a desirable program.

Its such a different ballgame than what you are thinking of recruiting wise. Ever since ESPN took off in the 90s no one team could build purely in state. On top of that teams that are featured on ESPN regularly are the ones with an advantage. They have been burned into the minds of these kids since birth. It would take a lot more than a couple of good years to be at the levels or perception of the Dukes, UNC, Arizona, Kansas, and Kentucky. Those are the teams right now who pick and choose due to availability.

I really don't think it has anything to do with that at all. Honestly, some of us just grow up being a fan of a team no matter if they win or lose. Swanigan said from the beginning that he wanted to go to MSU, it was pretty much his dream school. Always had been. So they were clear #1 from day one. Its honestly that simple

Its such a different ballgame than what you are thinking of recruiting wise. Ever since ESPN took off in the 90s no one team could build purely in state. On top of that teams that are featured on ESPN regularly are the ones with an advantage. They have been burned into the minds of these kids since birth. It would take a lot more than a couple of good years to be at the levels or perception of the Dukes, UNC, Arizona, Kansas, and Kentucky. Those are the teams right now who pick and choose due to availability.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure why you included Arizona. They haven't won anything for quite some time.  They have a good young coach. Thats about it. I will go ahead and say that its 95% coach and 5% name on the front when kids choose the school they want to attend. My point is that If Indiana can start to consistently have years and exposure like it did in 2012-2013, then we will positively impact the minds of in state kids. You'd be surprised how many young kids in this state fell in love with Cody Zeller and would jump at the opportunity to someday follow in his footsteps, if the opportunity.

I really don't think it has anything to do with that at all. Honestly, some of us just grow up being a fan of a team no matter if they win or lose. Swanigan said from the beginning that he wanted to go to MSU, it was pretty much his dream school. Always had been. So they were clear #1 from day one. Its honestly that simple

Can you honestly say that he would have been an MSU fan if they didnt have the kind of success they had while he was a young kid. No chance IMO, unless his parents were huge fans.

Can you honestly say that he would have been an MSU fan if they didnt have the kind of success they had while he was a young kid. No chance IMO, unless his parents were huge fans.

He was probably too young to really remember them winning the National Championship in 2000, they have made it to the final four twice and the championship game once more since then.