Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier

Is IU currently reaching out to Brad Stevens through back channels?

I think I could answer that question several ways, but I'll start with this: I think it's safe to assume that 99% of those who use the term write it in a demeaning way, and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Another way to respond, I suppose is to ask another question. Crean displays a lot of mannerisms on the sideline. From my vantage point (watching on TV), he is most commonly shown talking with players as they go in or out of the game. So why don't you refer to him as Coach Who Instructs His Players on the Sideline Crean?

And here is a third way to respond. If we're to say that people use the term Clappy because it is descriptive of him, then I can think of another word that is descriptive of him that's also easy to use: Tom. Why don't you refer to him as, simply, "Tom" since that is also descriptive of him?

I think we both know why people use the term. My view of it is that every coach has mannerisms that are going to be more prevalent the more you watch his team play. And even when I don't like that coach (and I'm certainly no Crean apologist), I just don't feel need to demean those coaches/people/teams that I don't like...except for Purdue and Kentucky, of course.

Again, I don't mean to offend, so if I wrote anything that seems to push a button, I pre preemptively apologize. But I still just don't get why people use the term. For lack of a better word, it seems childish to me.

Ok, so you say you don’t mean to offend, but you seem to be awfully offended at my description of "Tom".

My point remains that other coaches have no fear of his coaching prowess. He is incapable of making in-game adjustments, so there is rarely anything over which they would/could be concerned.

Ok, so you say you don’t mean to offend, but you seem to be awfully offended at my description of "Tom".

My point remains that other coaches have no fear of his coaching prowess. He is incapable of making in-game adjustments, so there is rarely anything over which they would/could be concerned.

Like I said, it was an honest question. If I was offended by anything, it was the suggestion that Clappy was used only as a descriptor rather than a demeaning term when that's obviously not the case.

I don't even disagree with your actual argument. That's the funny part. It's just that when someone goes to the well with Clappy/Tan Tommy/etc I think you run the chance that your point can be lost.

My guess is that  if Crean were winning at a rate that most would find acceptable then no one would care about what he does while he's on the sideline.

When I see Clappy Crean on the bench, I am reminded of a Knight quote from the 1987 title run about LSU coach Dale Brown:

"I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance."

I’m sure the other teams feel the same way about Tom Crean.

You know Bo Ryan says the same thing every time he coaches against Crean!

Wow, this thread is all over the place. I just wanted to comment on the clappy usage. While I don't use that term, it is very frustrating to watch him on the sidelines. Seeing players make mistake after mistake and them then flash to the sidelines and we see him hunched forward clapping and then turning around for a swig of diet coke is so routine.

There seems to be little fear of coach. Players can make bonehead play after bonehead play and the odds of getting benched are the same as if one just swished three consecutive treys in a row. It's frustrating to watch and while I don't use the term clappy, I am not critical of those that do because I know how they feel

Wow, this thread is all over the place. I just wanted to comment on the clappy usage. While I don't use that term, it is very frustrating to watch him on the sidelines. Seeing players make mistake after mistake and them then flash to the sidelines and we see him hunched forward clapping and then turning around for a swig of diet coke is so routine.

There seems to be little fear of coach. Players can make bonehead play after bonehead play and the odds of getting benched are the same as if one just swished three consecutive treys in a row. It's frustrating to watch and while I don't use the term clappy, I am not critical of those that do because I know how they feel

Well said, Mike. He does a lot of stuff that frustrates me to no end. I've never seen the need to use the term, but it certainly doesn't mean I agree with everything he does or doesn't do.

To answer the OP to some extent, I will rehash quickly what I said months ago.
I cannot say what has or has not happened since the season has started but I can say almost definitely what had happened prior to the start of the season. IU fans were not happy about IUs outlook and then all the off the court issues came out and people were calling for Creans head and many wondered if IU was going to hunt for a new coach and fire Crean at the end of the season. A family friend that was paramount in the Crean hiring and will be paramount in the hiring of Crean's replacement if it were to happen in the near future, paraphrasing, said this:
Glass is fully on board with Crean and until he isn't, there will be no search or back channel conversations. At least nobody will be advised to do so. That wasn't too long ago and considering we are 10-3, I highly doubt glass has changed his mind since the start of the season. Therefore, if I were a betting man, I would bet that nothing of the sort has happened.

Should we blame your friend for these last 7 years? I would be curious as to who else was considered, interviewed, etc... Could we do no better or did no one want the job? We would do better this go round guaranteed.

Brad Stevens may as well be Paul Bunyan at this point.  I'm far from convinced that the reality of him taking the reigns of the IU basketball program would live up to the fantasies people have about his coaching acumen and what he would achieve here. 

I think the fact that Stevens took a very ordinary team to the final four twice and was one shot away from the title speaks volumes.

At the same time the fact we were stunned in the sweet 16 as a number 1 seed because we can't break a zone speaks as well.

Until we show we can manage a game and make adjustments to such situations the Brad Stevens myth will only get bigger.

The Georgetown Game was a chance to slow the negative momentum but instead just reinforced the negative opinion of CTC"s in game coaching ability.

I want to get behind him in the worst way but I wont wear blinders either.

Should we blame your friend for these last 7 years? I would be curious as to who else was considered, interviewed, etc... Could we do no better or did no one want the job? We would do better this go round guaranteed.

I'd like to know who else was in the running as well, would be very interesting to think what if with some of them.

I also agree they'd do a much better job this time, and I don't think that we're as desperate as we were last hiring time either. I'm totally cool with crean getting another year, if that means that they are working hard to line up the perfect coach and getting the timing right.. No rush jobs! If we're going to replace him at some point, it better be a well thought out and executed hire.

Ok, so you say you don’t mean to offend, but you seem to be awfully offended at my description of "Tom".

I'm kinda understanding of both sides of this dialogue. I think that most people who use those terms (clappy Crean/tan Tommy and others) are really frustrated with the condition of something (IUBB) they are pretty passionate about and are trying to vent their frustration without being obscene! I find myself in this position many times as I watch games but my terms of expression usually include words with the letters m and f,s,o, and b and are preceded by stupid as s&=t and other terms of endearment. I try and give myself a cooling off period before expressing myself in a public manner! Lol
On a little more serious note I've found that what I feed grows. If I feed my anger by expressing it at some point in time it grows so much it consumes me. I've said and done a lot of things I later regretted when I expressed myself while in an agitated state. It does make a person seem a little petty to use those terms over and over.
Right now I'm really disappointed about the condition of something (IUBB) that I've followed pretty passionately for over 35 years but I'm trying not to be to negative in expressing my feelings.
I do agree though. Tom Crean probably isn't causing very many knees to quake on the opposing sidelines!

Brad Stevens may as well be Paul Bunyan at this point.  I'm far from convinced that the reality of him taking the reigns of the IU basketball program would live up to the fantasies people have about his coaching acumen and what he would achieve here. 

This. There's no reason to think otherwise apparently. Apparently IU would win title after title if he blessed all of us with his coaching expertise. He won a million games in the Horizon League, but people here can't shut up about a coach who won the B1G outright just a few hundred days ago.