Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier

Is IU currently reaching out to Brad Stevens through back channels?

Does anyone know for sure if IU has sent someone to gage Stevens interest in coaching us for next year? Or is all of this just speculation?

Good question.

I read most of what's posted on a few boards, and I have not seen anyone, insider or otherwise, definitively state that anyone from IU has ever reached out to Stevens, either directly or indirectly. The closest I think I've seen is milehiiu on the 247 board, who inferred a month or so ago (and I paraphrase) that he is pretty sure that Stevens has an idea that IU would be interested.

If anyone has a stronger opinion than that...my pm box is open! :)

Y'all keep getting my hopes up. I just don't see the Mrs being happy in Beantown with young kids away from family and friends. Plus adding in Brad's travel schedule being away from home. Where is her support group? It was my understanding his familky loved Indianapolis because of this and why Brad didn't make a move sooner. With Bloomington an hour away, how this job wouldn't interest him and her both is quite obvious knowing his family and publicly what he has said about Indiana being his dream job. We can afford him based on his current contract and with Crean being in the twilight of his Indiana tenure, now is the time. Its like I have said previously, if Stevens is ready to come we cut bait with Crean even if he gets us to the tournament. When stars align...

I don't think the timing is ever going to work for Stevens. I think the team makes the tourney and will retain enough guys to give hope for the following year for Crean to have two more years.

Stevens is likely in Boston through 2016. Sure he could leave earlier but I think he is there through 16. In the NBA a coach can lose a team and if this happens to Stevens then he Boston may be forced to make a change.

So if IU makes the tourney this year and next with a sweet sixteen next year would IU fire him at that point? I don't see it happening.

I don't think the timing is ever going to work for Stevens. I think the team makes the tourney and will retain enough guys to give hope for the following year for Crean to have two more years.

Stevens is likely in Boston through 2016. Sure he could leave earlier but I think he is there through 16. In the NBA a coach can lose a team and if this happens to Stevens then he Boston may be forced to make a change.

So if IU makes the tourney this year and next with a sweet sixteen next year would IU fire him at that point? I don't see it happening.

Do you honestly think Tom Crean will ever win a national championship at IU? No, then get rid of him now. (But only get rid of him if we can replace him with Stevens.) Who cares if Tom Crean goes to 100 straight sweet 16's... No need to keep waiting around.

Do you honestly think Tom Crean will ever win a national championship at IU? No, then get rid of him now. (But only get rid of him if we can replace him with Stevens.) Who cares if Tom Crean goes to 100 straight sweet 16's... No need to keep waiting around.

I think the Cody Vic team could have won it. IF the rumors are true that Crean worked the practices way too hard late in that season then I believe he also has limitations understanding how to coach towards a championship. I believe the rumors to be true because I heard too many independent guys comment about how hard the practices and even walk throughs were.

So to answer your question, yes I think he can coach a champion here but I think the gaps between contenders will be wide and unsatisfactory.

My question though is would IU make a change if we get to the NCAA this year? I think not. Would we then make a change next year if we make the sweet sixteen? Again, I think not.

So to answer your question, yes I think he can coach a champion here but I think the gaps between contenders will be wide and unsatisfactory.

My question though is would IU make a change if we get to the NCAA this year? I think not. Would we then make a change next year if we make the sweet sixteen? Again, I think not.

I think we meet UK or Louisville in the sweet 16 this year and lose. The tourney has a history of putting 2/3 of IU/UK/Lville in the same bracket.

But I don't think a sweet 16 should constitute job security for Tom Crean. Even if we lose to the eventual champion in the sweet 16 he needs to go.

No guarantee, but you are putting the program in the best possible position to win said Championship.

I tend to agree with you but do not think IU will do it unless we have a bad year this year.

Crean isnt going anywhere. They wont pay a 12 million dollar buyout.

I think he woukd settle for less if you pressed him on breaking his contract. I think our resident attorney, martinmoplady, has spoken about this but woud like to hear about it again. We coukd settle for 1/2 his contract would be my guess which would be heap if we get Stevens.

What guarantee is out there, that Stevens would win championships if he were to coach IU?

I agree there are no guarantees Stevens would win chamionships, but one guarantee is Crean won't ever. I can promise if Stevens had our Cody and Vic team, banner 6 would be swinging. Just look at back to back final game appearances with Butler talent. Now imagine him recruiting at Indiana. We wukd wn the Big again and have our next great legacy coach.

If Stevens were to fail in winning championships then what?

Then you break out the seance, superstitions, etc...knowing the Bobby Knight curse is real. We won championships before him and we will win them after him. We just need the right coach and I blame our past adm for Davis and Sampson and the ever stupid search committe for Crean. A banner will be won again. Look no further than Kansas, UCLA, UK and UL as they all went thru down years. Bluebloods programs will always be that; since they were earned and not given although UCLA, UK, and UNC cheated for most if not all of theirs.

If Stevens were to fail in winning championships then what?

Crean lost more of his supporters after last year than he did after losing to Syracuse. The down years and the number of off court things in one year are the things chipping away at Creans remaining support.

Do you believe that IU has a legitimate chance to get to a FF this year or next? Of not during that window then we start yet another cycle after 16 when we start over. The drops in performance because we are young are as much of a problem as the lack of a championship.