Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

I'm just gonna leave this right here

We can't say definitively one way or the other, because we're not him.  The only way we'd know is to pick up the phone and make the call.  We offer a coach everything needed to be successful.

Once the fan base moves into the 21st century, I'll agree... once the fan base moves past standards from an era gone by.

Stevens is not leaving the Boston Celtics to come coach IU. That isn't happening. He is not likely to be fired. Timing is everything and it isn't right. Better keep Crean around a while longer.

Better keep Crean around a while longer.

The longer Crean is here, the more apathetic the fanbase becomes and the more the program suffers. If Stevens wouldn't take the job now, you just find the next best option. If it's a good coach then it shouldn't really matter what Stevens ever decides to do because a good coach would absolutely flourish here and we'd be happy with who we had. 

As long as Crean is here, our ceiling is 20-22 wins, a top 4 or 5 finish in the Big Ten and a Sweet 16 appearance to go along with constant roster turnover because of his obsession with oversigning and turning over the roster every year. The longer this goes on, the more it damages the program. 

In that case, let's hope Crean stops recruiting such talented players and stops developing them so well so they stay for four years.

I always have to laugh when people somehow know what IU's "ceiling" is. That statement means nothing. It's like saying Crean or any coach is "in over his head." What the hell does that mean. Nothing. It's fan fodder since the team is actually playing well and they can't critique the play on the court nonstop.

Indiana has obstacles to overcome, some self-inflicted, but under this Coach that is not that big of an issue...it's his expertise... the nucleus is in place but the team is still being formed. Who knows what this team is capable of? No one

Once the fan base moves into the 21st century, I'll agree... once the fan base moves past standards from an era gone by.

Stevens is not leaving the Boston Celtics to come coach IU. That isn't happening. He is not likely to be fired. Timing is everything and it isn't right. Better keep Crean around a while longer.

Wait, the fans are the reason the program is struggling?  Mike Davis is that you?  The fans, or at least some of us, expect greatness.  Others accept mediocrity and make excuses.

The longer we keep Crean around the further and further we'll slip from where we should be.  He is in over his head, he's not the man for the job and there is the better part of two decades of evidence supporting that.  In his 15 years he has never maintained or built on success, he has never won consistently.  Hell, he's never even finished in the top 4 of his conference with any consistency; he's finished in the top 4 5 times in 15 years and that's not very good.  Keep Crean around, he'll never take us to where we should expect to be and then we'll have fans saying we can't land a top coach because we're even further out of the spotlight.

Stability for the sake of stability doesn't do a thing.  Coaches have stability because they won, not the other way around, and Crean has NEVER won enough to warrant the kind of stability some want to give him.

In that case, let's hope Crean stops recruiting such talented players and stops developing them so well so they stay for four years.

I always have to laugh when people somehow know what IU's "ceiling" is. That statement means nothing. It's like saying Crean or any coach is "in over his head." What the hell does that mean. Nothing. It's fan fodder since the team is actually playing well and they can't critique the play on the court nonstop.

Indiana has obstacles to overcome, some self-inflicted, but under this Coach that is not that big of an issue...it's his expertise... the nucleus is in place but the team is still being formed. Who knows what this team is capable of? No one

if crean recruits and develops so many guys why have we not been passed sweet sixteen? I will tell u why cause he cant coach if his life depends on it. Interested in hearing why u think we stink since u pointed out the talent we have had?

I am NOT saying that CTC is the permanent answer, nor am I saying that our "ceiling" wouldn't be higher with another coach.

However, I am a bit taken aback by the repeated proclamations that we have a "ceiling" of the sweet sixteen with CTC.

For instance , if we get to the sweet sixteen this year (yes, it is absolutely possible), and we play a team that's ranked between 10 and 20, say, Miami or Oklahoma, are any of you saying that we have an absolute 0% chance of winning that game? Don't think so.

The longer Crean is here, the more apathetic the fanbase becomes and the more the program suffers. If Stevens wouldn't take the job now, you just find the next best option. If it's a good coach then it shouldn't really matter what Stevens ever decides to do because a good coach would absolutely flourish here and we'd be happy with who we had. 

As long as Crean is here, our ceiling is 20-22 wins, a top 4 or 5 finish in the Big Ten and a Sweet 16 appearance to go along with constant roster turnover because of his obsession with oversigning and turning over the roster every year. The longer this goes on, the more it damages the program. 

No, our ceiling isn't 20-22 wins and a top 4 or 5 finish in the Big Ten.

He won 27 games and 29 games in back to back seasons and finished 1st in the Big Ten one year. Did you somehow forget that?

No, our ceiling isn't 20-22 wins and a top 4 or 5 finish in the Big Ten.

He won 27 games and 29 games in back to back seasons and finished 1st in the Big Ten one year. Did you somehow forget that?

Well then.  ^^ There is that ^^

I like to see if we are building a championship level team. I honestly think we are a legitimate big away and if we land one and retain most of this years team then we are right there. Even if HP keeps improving he is a good PF not a center and to compete for a championship I believe we need a center.

The good is that we are still in the Bryant hunt but I think it is going to be hard to get him in here. The other good was that there could be some serviceable bigs available this spring as 5th year transfers.

If we land a center that can step in and play right away next year then I think we have a chance. If we do not then we are likely a top 20 team at best.

After the 2016 season we likely lose JBj, yogi, HP, Nick and possibly Troy which puts us back in the young category again. This would then end two runs by Crean with two different groups that peak without a FF let alone a championship.

That alone is frustrating but then when we have the huge drop offs during the young years. That is a cycle that he has to break out of. Crean may or may not be a good coach, recruiter or developer but he has to improve upon one of these.

Either the good years need to find us in the FF caliber range or the young years need to find us in the NCAA. Likely the first issue is more important and the Vic Cody team was close so I think he can do it. The problem though is I do not see it with the current group of kids unless we get a starting caliber center for next year.