Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

PointBlank

Glass's vote of confidence

Glass sure loves his long term contracts. Does it really matter who the football coach is at IU? Wait a minute, am I really talking about IU football? Need a hobby....

I’m not sure it does. The football program has been awful since the '67 Rose Bowl. They’ve managed to find a coach that could get them to a minor bowl off and on (mostly off) over the years. Hoeppner seemed to be turning it around when that tragedy struck.

Meanwhile, we beat Purdue some years. Some years they beat us. And the pattern repeats. Vote of confidence or not, the program is doomed to a spot just below relevance. I don't see that changing, no matter who the coach is.

Glass sure loves his long term contracts. Does it really matter who the football coach is at IU? Wait a minute, am I really talking about IU football? Need a hobby....

I understand, IU has experienced losing seasons in 19 of the past 20 years. We likely hold the title for futility for a team from a major conference over the past 20 years. Not sure if next year will be better since we are probably losing Coleman.

I understand, IU has experienced losing seasons in 19 of the past 20 years. We likely hold the title for futility for a team from a major conference over the past 20 years. Not sure if next year will be better since we are probably losing Coleman.

There is no likely about it.  We do hold the title for futility.  We grabbed that from Northwestern two or three years ago, and have never looked back.  :(

Have you even once viewed the kids that CKW has brought in and is bringing in? Don't compare them them to the likes of OSU and Alabama. But rather keep it relative to our history. He has only brought in arguably the best recruiting classes that INDIANA has ever seen. He is making changes. Positive ones. If your hatred for Kevin Wilson runs so deep that you can't even acknowledge this then I suggest you move on because you're completely blind. He is rebuilding this program from within and doing a damn fine job. Furthermore, we're talking about the worst football program, not only in the B1G but in D-1 history. Rome wasn't built in a day. Although his W-L record doesn't reflect it YET, at this pace we'll be bowling routinely (starting next year IMO) and CKW will quickly become the best coach ever to coach at our beloved Indiana University.

Exactly.  I've been vocal about my dislike for CKW as a person.  Doesn't take away from my support or optimism for the future. My dislike has weakened over the years, due to time and the fact that there haven't been any abrasive/tool-like situations.  He's responded to the critical areas (see: Mallory) and is working to build a solid foundation for the future.  I'm more than happy to give him a pass for past transgressions (that are honesty probably only an issue to me) if he continues to uphold the GPAs, the work ethic, and the drive for improvement (if he would just lose that Steve Spurrier golf visor..... lol)

He has only brought in arguably the best recruiting classes that INDIANA has ever seen.

If this is the case, then why are we still the doormat of the big ten? Coaching? Bill Mallory may not have brought the "top" recruits, but was able to go bowling year three.
So far:
Year. Overall Big ten big ten division ranking

2011 Indiana 1–11 0–8 6th (Leaders)
2012 Indiana. 4-8 2-6. 5th (Leaders)
2013 Indiana 5–7 3–5 4th (Leaders)
2014 Indiana 4–8 1–7 7th (East)
Indiana: 14–34 6–26
Total: 14–34

Given the overall weakness of the big ten this season, can you really say we are improving? Better yet, if you were another university shopping for a coach, given the above record, would you be interested in Wilson?

If this is the case, then why are we still the doormat of the big ten? Coaching? Bill Mallory may not have brought the "top" recruits, but was able to go bowling year three.
So far:

Given the overall weakness of the big ten this season, can you really say we are improving? Better yet, if you were another university shopping for a coach, given the above record, would you be interested in Wilson?

In all due respect..... Reason why we haven't been able to do anything winning wise besides the 2007 season (team played for hep).......iu goes through way too many coaches therefore we can't generate any consistency and with Wilson I believe he can deliver this consistency but rebuilding a program takes more than just 2-3 years.....with that said this past year I believe iu could have won 6-7 games if we didn't lose our boy sud..... I'm glad glass gave a vote of confidence when he did and Wilson deserves every bit of it!
Go Hoosiers and Win today

So far:

What I like is there was two years of consistent improvement.  Wilson should take a little heat for having to rely on what was essentially a 5th or 6th string quarterback, but only a little.  Going into the season no one thought we would have to rely on Zander to carry the load. 

Now if we don't see improvement again next year.  I will be right there with you..

So far:

Pick and choose what you want to quote and what you don't want to address...but you have to take it into the context that the team has improved for INDIANA standards and past history. I will never argue the W/L's...plain as day. Look past the tangible and into the world of intangibles. Look at the talent on the field...the leadership, the potential. We've never had anything like this at IU. It will soon parlay itself into W's. We have the makings a pretty darn good darn team in Freshman, RS Freshman, and sophomores.

But if you want to throw it all away for another coach, then more power to you. But I implore you to open your eyes to more than just the Wins/Losses columns on a stat sheet. And I reiterate. If you can't, move on.

For a variety of reasons, IUFB has been beaten down and down and down. Its not a quick fix. You need class after class of talent and sustained growth at multiple positions. We're finally doing that. Look at what Duke's coach has done...they gave him a TON of time and its paying off. It was hardly a quick fix. Here is why I'm excited:

2013 Class : 5th in B1G/38th Nationally

2014 Class: 7th in B1G/38th Nationally

2015 Class - ongoing: 7th in B1G/43rd Nationally

That is including RU and UM. We're competing. Last year we finished just ahead of KSU, TCU, GT, Duke, Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa. We finished just behind Mississippi State, Baylor, and Mizzou. We're finally getting more depth. But sure, let's throw it all away. Because we have to keep rotating coaches in and out...its the IU way.

So far:

You can see an obvious trend in the right direction until this past season. Last season may have something to do with playing the 4th string QB because of injury. I have no doubt that if Nate stayed healthy we would have bowled last year.

For a variety of reasons, IUFB has been beaten down and down and down. Its not a quick fix. You need class after class of talent and sustained growth at multiple positions. We're finally doing that. Look at what Duke's coach has done...they gave him a TON of time and its paying off. It was hardly a quick fix. Here is why I'm excited:

That is including RU and UM. We're competing. Last year we finished just ahead of KSU, TCU, GT, Duke, Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa. We finished just behind Mississippi State, Baylor, and Mizzou. We're finally getting more depth. But sure, let's throw it all away. Because we have to keep rotating coaches in and out...its the IU way.

Well that's bcuz dukes coach is a freaking quarterback guru!! When NFL QB's struggle they go to work with Cutcliffe. He did coach Peyton in college at Tennessee, this guy made Peyton who he is.

Again I say, if this is the case, why is IU the doormat? Bill Mallory didn't get the 'top' players, but went bowling in year three. I guess what it takes to impress me is not signing top-rated recruits, but what happens on the gridiron after we get them into Memorial Stadium. You must admit that if we've had top 40 recruiting classes the past three years, we should have achieved at least .500 this season given the level of competition we faced.

Again I say, if this is the case, why is IU the doormat? Bill Mallory didn't get the 'top' players, but went bowling in year three. I guess what it takes to impress me is not signing top-rated recruits, but what happens on the gridiron after we get them into Memorial Stadium. You must admit that if we've had top 40 recruiting classes the past three years, we should have achieved at least .500 this season given the level of competition we faced.

What did you expect from this season after we were forced to use a true freshman QB that would've been a redshirt?

I'm not the biggest Wilson fan, but even I'll give the guy some slack for being forced to use a QB that was way down the depth chart.  I do think he needs to get a better option for a backup than what we were left with though.