Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs UIndy Post Game Thread

Good early test from a somewhat athletic team that came out hot. Nice to see the team regroup and put the pressure on. I'd much rather watch them play a game like this than just walk in a blow a team out. Not as much is learned then. I think Nick got a little flustered and was trying to force some things. Let's see how he responds now. Rojo going off. My dad is a UK fan and texted that we probably stole Rojo. I agree, jist under the radar.

I like how Perea played other than just needs to commit to boxing out more and stop trying get to out jump everyone. Good work colombia!

Hartman, hello! Nice to meet ya and hope we meet again! Didn't he have 3 blocks as well?

Yogi's was really good again. Needs to gain FT confidence again.
Rojo was tremendous on both ends. Played much better than Blackmon tonight.
Blackmon had a decent game. Careless with the ball and lacking explosiveness except on dunk.
Z3-my big fear with him came true tonight. Interesting to see how this goes.
Hartman did exactly what he needed to do. Solid game. His dribbling is worse than I thought though.
Max could be good over time. Doesn't lack confidence. I like his general abilities.
Priller's minutes are "pretty" indicative. He plays hard. I admire that at least. Was wide open for a 3 towards the end and they
didnt hit him
Hanner was good tonight. Good with FTs. Still a bad hands game again.

Overall-ugh rebounding was brutal. We need troy, Hanner, maybe holt, and Rojo to stabilize the boards.
Some of our offensive sets were static and slow. Don't know why we don't run more off ball screens for our shooters. Offensive rebounding is brutal. I am actually looking forward to Troy being back sans marijuana. Stan will help a lot too to be honest.

Happy to see Hanner hit FT's and stay out of foul trouble. Still need to work on TO's

JBJ was heavily guarded and still had decent numbers. Happy

RoJo on point to open Yogi as more of a scoring threat? Yes!

Z was off tonight. It happens. I don't expect this is a trend.

Hartman will be a solid role player. Solid

Max is a work in progress

MSB is a project. Give him a couple years.

Yogi's was really good again. Needs to gain FT confidence again.
Rojo was tremendous on both ends. Played much better than Blackmon tonight.
Blackmon had a decent game. Careless with the ball and lacking explosiveness except on dunk.
Z3-my big fear with him came true tonight. Interesting to see how this goes.
Hartman did exactly what he needed to do. Solid game. His dribbling is worse than I thought though.
Max could be good over time. Doesn't lack confidence. I like his general abilities.
Priller's minutes are "pretty" indicative. He plays hard. I admire that at least. Was wide open for a 3 towards the end and they
didnt hit him
Hanner was good tonight. Good with FTs. Still a bad hands game again.

Overall-ugh rebounding was brutal. We need troy, Hanner, maybe holt, and Rojo to stabilize the boards.
Some of our offensive sets were static and slow. Don't know why we don't run more off ball screens for our shooters. Offensive rebounding is brutal. I am actually looking forward to Troy being back sans marijuana. Stan will help a lot too to be honest.

Is there anyone with access to the program who knows more about April's injury?

It drives me crazy to see another 7 footer sitting the bench in warmups.Especially now with this mess of a front court.

I have to say that I was surprised by Max's movement. I thought that he looked more athletic than in the highlights I have seen in the past. His charge in the first half is indicative of the fine line this team faces though. We will be able to get in the lane I think, but will we be able to make the extra pass with the right timing and strength that leads to an easier finish?

I have never felt like we did this with much consistency under Crean. I'd like to see us move Hanner to the weak side post against teams with better shot blockers and then attack the shot blocker off the dribble and either create foul trouble or drop it for Hanner. As much as I don't like the way UK does things I am impressed with their ability to find their athletic posts around the rim for the finish. The five foot alley oop passes the throw are really effective and I think that Yogi and Johnson can become pretty adept at it this year with Hanner and maybe Holt or Troy when we are really small.

First of all let me say that is a good U of I team.  I was very impressed with what they had on that team.  Their guards were able to play solid on the ball defense against Yogi, and they had size that created matchup problems.  The one big white boy with the Pony Tail was creating all kinds of issues for us, and he was doing so without really scoring, but just playing solid Defense and Hustling.  

Now what I saw that I Liked:  Our guards were able to move the ball and push the tempo and do so without turning the ball over.  We still had Turnovers but they were not the head slap Turnovers that we had last year, you know the Jeremy Hollowell style turnovers.  Hanner is much improved from last year, he's doing exactly what we need him to do, the only problem is he does not have any help.  Hartman was such a pleasant surprise, you can tell that he knows how to play, he's not overly athletic, and he's very slow dribbling the ball, but he plays good position defense and he can pass the basketball.  Max looked aggressive in limited minutes and Robert Johnson was probably our most effective player.  He is much better at getting to the rim than I thought, and he can rebound the ball for a little guy.  We're really going to like him.

What I did not Like:  We're gonna get man handled by so many teams.  I know it will get better when Troy, Stan, and Emmitt come back because they're going to add size but until then we are so much less physical than we need to be.  This affects our rebounding, man to man defense, and ability to wear down teams.  We'll get in foul trouble unless we play Zone Defense because we're so much smaller than teams.  We have no backup at all for Hanner.  Once he goes to the bench we become a completely different team.  Tim Priller is not going to help us.  I wish that we could see what April could do for the main reason that he's the only one on the team with legit size outside of Hanner.  Things will get better, but man we are small and soft on D.

I agree on everyone's stance on the rebound. That being said, I wonder how many rebounds did they get from long misses. It is no excuse, but I remember when I played in high school (and still now in rec leagues) and I would crash the boards just to have the guy who shot it miss so long that it basically bounced back to him.

Again, not an excuse for a lot of the missed rebounds (like the possession where they got four opportunities just to turn the ball over on a travel call), but there were a lot of long rebounds which can be especially difficult to rebound. Especially if you are trying to crash the boards.

Also, I think this team will benefit with troy coming back to get some boards and points, Emit to give HMP some quality breathers (god love you Priller), and Stan to ride the pine until he grows up.

Give props when it's deserved...

Crean had JB2 doing a good amount of bringing the ball up the court. however, there were a few hiccups where JBJ got close to turning it over and then when the full press came, he made a few mistakes and we ended up with the half-court violation. 

After that happened, the ball was brought up the court in the majority by Rob instead of JB2.. and I must say that I feel very comfortable with Rojo doing so, he's got great vision and can escape the full court press with ease it seemed. 

anyways, props to Crean for making that change after the mistakes, as I'm sure he would have preferred JB2 in that role, but Rojo just had laser focus this game and it was good to get the ball in his hands at the beginning of the play.

I appreciate the rational comments about the game. I am about done with the other board I post on. It is becoming unreadable because of a few morons that think the board exists so they can attempt to convince everyone they are smarter than they actually are. Being a jerk doesn't make you smart.

I am concerned about rebounding and turnovers. Williams and possibly Holt can help the rebounding numbers when they come back. I don't expect Z3 to turn the ball over 5x per game. The stats would have looked better without his struggle tonight.

I am very pleased with Johnson, Yogi, JBJ, and Hanner over 2 games. Johnson didn't shoot well in the first game, but he still managed to score 13. Z3 is going to help us in most games. One bad game doesn't concern me when the rest of the team steps up. 

I am interested in how the team responds to getting our suspended players back. Robinson will need to win a spot in the starting lineup. Johnson has it secured now. Overall, the team is playing as well as I had expected without Davis, Williams, and Robinson. I haven't seen Holt, so I have no idea what he will contribute. Hopefully he can rebound as reported. 

I think Hoetzel could improve rapidly. He has the size and shooting ability, but what surprised me were the two times he attacked the basket. He is fearless. I think by the end of the year he could be giving us 10 to 15 minutes a game and become a real difference maker next year. 

I love everything about Robert Johnson's game. Very intelligent and well spoken if you watch the post game press conference. He will be a great four year player at IU.

Is there anyone with access to the program who knows more about April's injury?

It drives me crazy to see another 7 footer sitting the bench in warmups.Especially now with this mess of a front court.

Pretty much as soon as he showed up on campus he had two screws put into his foot. We are not going to get much (if anything) out of April this year. He will be physically able to play in games within the next couple of weeks, but that does not mean he is going to get minutes. 

Hanner just isn't the player he could be. Very disappointing to see that kid get owned down low by a kid with a pony tail on three separate rebounding opportunities. Holt better be good and April needs to get this injury fixed or we are going to drop some non confs to bad teams.