Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Felt like this was a more appropriate place to put this than in our NW-IU game thread. Someone on there mentioned checking out Purdue's board. I found this gem

"I watched the game with someone who is a Pacers employee and he still says Nojel translates better than anyone else for the next level."

- IndySouthsider

So I guess we're counting janitors as valid NBA scouts. 

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/nojel-is-not-a-pg.158339/page-2

Felt like this was a more appropriate place to put this than in our NW-IU game thread. Someone on there mentioned checking out Purdue's board. I found this gem

"I watched the game with someone who is a Pacers employee and he still says Nojel translates better than anyone else for the next level."
- IndySouthsider

To be fair, I don’t see much NBA potential on that team. Edwards can play but who will he defend? Harms has great size but what would he do well at the next level? I haven’t seen enough of Eastern to know but he might have the most NBA potential on that team

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, KingPG21 said:

- IndySouthsider

He may be right. Eastern has great size for a guard, definitely NBA size. Can't say the same for Edwards. Shooting is almost always improved in the NBA given the quality and quantity of coaching/development.

He probably will be. He isn’t near ready though. He’s 6-6 215 that doesn’t realize how big and strong he is. I don’t think he realizes how he could easily control a game on both ends of the court. He has the tools to be a hell of a defensive player and his offense and shooting will come back to him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

“His offense and shooting”? You mean hitting 3’s? Cause his offense is still there.

3’s, FT’s, not making lazy passes, being aggressive. Things he is learning to do at the collegiate level. He’s dubbed as an elite scorer. He knows he can score. He needs to step it up on defense. He can change a game on that end. He could easily be our best defender if he wanted to.

His first two games were awful from the line. He is 28/37 since then. First two games he went 6/14. I think we are seeing what he truly is from the line. The passing and 3’s I can agree with. He is a 1:1 guy right now. The 3’s NBA teams will feel he can get better with repetition. He is fine.

Edit: I didn’t add his 3 for 3 for this game in the free throw department.

They may not be a Top 25 team... but does that matter with us? We lost to Arky and we almost lost to NW. two teams worse than Purdue.

Or for those who don’t choose to be miserable on a minute by minute basis, we almost won at Arkansas and beat NW.

Wild how that works.

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

We still lost to Arkansas. We beat NW but this team has a long way to go before becoming an NCAA tourney team. Our 5 out of conference games were Marquette, Arky, Duke, Butler and Louisville. We are 1-2. Butler and Louisville are now must wins. And with how this team deals with pressure, the UofL game is going to be really tough. There isn’t much to be optimistic about. We look like an NIT team.

Before we beat NW, Lunardi’s Bracketology had as an NCAA 7 seed.

3 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

That’s pretty sad for CBB then. But the last couple years standards have dropped as more teams with losing conference records have gotten in.

Not sure why that’s “sad.”

The entirety of the sport has always had exactly a .500 winning percentage.

Someone’s eye test as to which teams are the 50 best is a product of personal preference for which teams perform above that mean.

19 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Well numbers show that over the past decade or so that at large mid majors perform better than power conference teams that were below .500 in conference or won less than 20 games. You shouldn’t get in if you can’t go .500 and win 20. There should be a standard.

Well stated ... not sure I agree with your preference. 

For at large bids, there has definitely been a trend toward power 5 conference 20 win teams over small conference 25+ win teams.

Matter of personal preference I guess - and as an IU fan I selfishly prefer the “more P5” version because it’ll get us in during our lesser years.

1 minute ago, Joe DeLow said:

I get why the committee puts those teams in($$$). But they are sub .500 in conference and 19 win teams for a reason. It doesn’t change in the tourney. The only Final Four team to come from the group is the Cuse team from a few years ago.

And the only mid major to get far has been Loyola last year ... and I believe they got the auto-bid.

I get why the committee puts those teams in($$$). But they are sub .500 in conference and 19 win teams for a reason. It doesn’t change in the tourney. The only Final Four team to come from the group is the Cuse team from a few years ago.

Cuse was 9-9 in conference that year

And the only mid major to get far has been Loyola last year ... and I believe they got the auto-bid.

So much more goes into the decision to put in middle of the pack power 5 conference teams over mid majors. People can show numbers for why mid majors should be in while others can show numbers that back up why they pick power 5 teams. Teams that just make the tournament have all shown they can lose games but the teams that separate themselves from the others are ones that show they can win against tournament quality teams. Middle of the pack power 5 team is always going to have more opportunities to do this. Is it fair to mid majors? No but that’s where the system is. Mid majors don’t help themselves I some cases. St Mary’s last year had a SOS in the 300’s. Played nobody in the non conference and lost to the 2 toughest teams in non conference to which were non tournament teams (Georgia and Washington St). Finished 27-4. Only wins against tournament teams were Gonzaga, and New Mexico st
Personally I had no problem with the committee leaving them out and putting Syracuse in with a 8-10 conference record
Syracuse took advantage and ended up in the sweet 16.

He probably will be. He isn’t near ready though. He’s 6-6 215 that doesn’t realize how big and strong he is. I don’t think he realizes how he could easily control a game on both ends of the court. He has the tools to be a hell of a defensive player and his offense and shooting will come back to him.

I know he is not ready but it wont matter. Zeller was not ready after two years either.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk