Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

49 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

So I was bored and looking at B1G predictions, came across this:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/2018-2019-basketball-predictions.147220/

"IU will be overrated all year. They have no shooters and will play a slow, plodding style of offense that won't allow Romeo to display his full skill set (he's overrated too BTW). Morgan will be good but other than that I think they'll be a pretty similar team to last year and Purdue will sweep them."

Its funny how completely consumed with IU the Purdue fan base is

I've felt for a long time that there are some hardcore methheads posting on that board.

LOL, I don't know why I bothered, but I took a look at the rest of that thread and it was everything you would expect. Someone predicted IU 4th and immediately got labeled an IU fan. The rest have us around 6th or 7th, including this gem:

#8 Indiana
Key Loss – Johnson,
Other losses: Newkirk, Jones
Key Gains: 5* Langford, 4*Hunter
Other Gains , 4* Phinisee, 4*Anderson, , 4*Forrester
Star Returning: @$$ Hall Refs

Another one broke it down into three groups and had IU and MSU in the bottom tier.

LOL, I don't know why I bothered, but I took a look at the rest of that thread and it was everything you would expect. Someone predicted IU 4th and immediately got labeled an IU fan. The rest have us around 6th or 7th, including this gem:
#8 Indiana
Key Loss – Johnson,
Other losses: Newkirk, Jones
Key Gains: 5* Langford, 4*Hunter
Other Gains , 4* Phinisee, 4*Anderson, , 4*Forrester
Star Returning: @$$ Hall Refs

Another one broke it down into three groups and had IU and MSU in the bottom tier.

Honest to god most of that board is a bunch of idiots. They make Kentucky fans sound smart. All because of their inferiority complex. If I were that dude I would take them up on that bet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, KingPG21 said:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/2018-2019-basketball-predictions.147220/

"IU will be overrated all year. They have no shooters and will play a slow, plodding style of offense that won't allow Romeo to display his full skill set (he's overrated too BTW). Morgan will be good but other than that I think they'll be a pretty similar team to last year and Purdue will sweep them."

bwahaha.gif

22 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

In my view, some of us on this board ard just as consumed with Purdue because they check the board consistently.

Do you see IU fans starting topics about Purdue's team? IU fans go over there because they always have topics about IU. It's like nectar attracting bees.

Courtesy o

2 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

So does anyone know where past players that have transferred are this year? Only one I can remember is Curtis Jones.

Courtesy of MemphisHoosier on Oct. 29.  We later learned Gelon is at Trinity JUCO

For those that track former players, a few quick updates courtesy of Verbal Commits http://verbalcommits.com/schools/indiana

Sophomores

• Ethan Lasko: Walk-On at Manhattan this year

Juniors

• Jeremiah April: Scholarship at D2 Wheeling Jesuit (West Virginia)
  • Grant Gelon: Unknown (I wonder if he walked away from the sport?)
  • Curtis Jones: Scholarship at Oklahoma State

Seniors

• Harrison Niego: Scholarship at D2 Hillsdale (Michigan)
  • Emmitt Holt: Scholarship at Providence

Took me longer to find this than i'd like to admit, but looks like Grant Gelon is now playing at Trinity International University

https://tiutrojans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4199

"Prior to TIU: Played sophomore season at State Fair Community College … played in 14 games, averaged 10.6 points … played freshman season at Indiana University playing in 12 games, averaging 1.8 points … attended Crown Point (IN) High School … he was named to the Indiana All-Star team following his senior year when he averaged 14.5 points and shot 41.8 percent from behind the arc … led Crown Point to back-to-back regional final appearance, while earning Associated Press High Honorable Mention All-State accolades as a senior … averaged 17.5 points per game as a junior, made 102 3-point field goals and shot 44 percent from behind the 3-point line."

14 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing to want IU to schedule good teams, frankly most have been in agreement for years iu needed to improve the out of conference schedule.

I think this years is an improvement but still has a ways to go. It is hard to watch some of these big early season matchups and not get a little jealous IU isn’t in these marquees.

IU needs to bump MSU out of that top spot in the big ten and be the class of the league again

Agree IU needs to bump MSU from the spotlight.  But IU almost always draws Duke or UNC in the challenge every year in spite of the previous year's results.  The non-conference schedule this year is an improvement.

Michigan's State's non-con schedule is arguably worse than the Hoosiers.  Per Kenpom pre-season ratings, MSU only has 4 opponents less than 100 (Kansas - 1 , UCLA - 46, Louisville - 62, Florida - 20), while the Hoosiers have 5 (Marquette - 29, Arkansas - 69. Duke - 3, Louisville - 62, and Butler - 30).  MSU has 5 opponents with a current Kenpom greater than 200 while Indiana has just 4 (including a dismal Chicago State at 344).  

Using 175 as a midpoint, IU has 7 under 175, while MSU only has the 4 listed above.  Hoosiers non-conference schedule will be more challenging then the Spartans.  Perhaps it is harder to schedule those middle of the pack teams because those 25 point losses do not look good on their resume' in March. 

15 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Yet a lot of top teams schedule those games, not just IU.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just because it’s done, doesn’t make it a good idea. My point is, there’s a better way to do this if you can get the right teams on the schedule. Focus on 150-199 and avoid teams with a higher RPI/BPI and we still win the games, our SOS improves drastically and thus it pays dividends in March. As the selection committee evolves in their selection criteria programs like IU should adjust accordingly to get an edge on its competition 

This post needs to be saved for when we beat them not only during the season but also in the big ten standings.

13 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Just because it’s done, doesn’t make it a good idea. My point is, there’s a better way to do this if you can get the right teams on the schedule. Focus on 150-199 and avoid teams with a higher RPI/BPI and we still win the games, our SOS improves drastically and thus it pays dividends in March. As the selection committee evolves in their selection criteria programs like IU should adjust accordingly to get an edge on its competition 

Ahem.  Maybe if anyone paid attention to the ol' Pizza Sandwich's "Analysis -- Articles and Discussion Thread," then we'd stop whining about how Chicago State hurts our RPI/BPI/SOS.  

That stuff is out.  It's been replaced by the NET Ranking.  Why don't you mosey on over and learn yourself something!

3 hours ago, e_powe11 said:

Why does college basketball get minimal coverage? College football has programs on national television year round and they don’t cover the first day of college basketball until tip off. Seems crazy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's a good point. My guess is that college football begins at a point in the sports calendar where things are very dead (baseball). When college basketball starts, college football, the NFL, and the NBA are already in full-swing so less on-air time can be given solely to college basketball.