Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Then what is he selling these players on? Good facilities? $$$? I seriously don’t get it. Same with Drew. Darius Days listed IU as one of his final eleven then eliminated us and ended up in Baton Rouge?

In the current climate of NCAA recruiting, the most obvious and/or likely answer is $$$.

Some people are also suckers and believe everything the slick-haired used car salesman had to say about the lemon they just drove off the lot.

Other people just have poor taste in basketball programs.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Then what is he selling these players on? Good facilities? $$$? I seriously don’t get it. Same with Drew. Darius Days listed IU as one of his final eleven then eliminated us and ended up in Baton Rouge?

He is baffling them with bullshirt. A hyper-caffeinated red bull-fueled hard sell about all the great things they're gonna do. He tirelessly contacts them with visits, visions, and texts full of imagined grandeur. It's not unlikely that he is a good guy that believes his own vision. Just like Tom Crean.

On the other hand...who knows, maybe he's also delivering no-show, high money jobs at boosters' companies to the friends and relatives of recruits (that happens sometimes too in the $EC). 

He is baffling them with bullshirt. A hyper-caffeinated red bull-fueled hard sell about all the great things they're gonna do. He tirelessly contacts them with visits, visions, and texts full of imagined grandeur. It's not unlikely that he is a good guy that believes his own vision. Just like Tom Crean.
On the other hand...who knows, maybe he's also delivering no-show, high money jobs at boosters' companies to the friends and relatives of recruits (that happens sometimes too in the $EC). 

I’ve followed him through his young coaching career and he actually runs good stuff and has a really good understanding of the game. I would still take CAM 100 times out of 100 still. Last year at Vcu he ran some good sets and had his kids in the right position to win some games he should of lost. I could do without his sideline mannerisms but for age 35 he seems to be on the right track.

I’ve followed him through his young coaching career and he actually runs good stuff and has a really good understanding of the game. I would still take CAM 100 times out of 100 still. Last year at Vcu he ran some good sets and had his kids in the right position to win some games he should of lost. I could do without his sideline mannerisms but for age 35 he seems to be on the right track.

And I’m not a Crean hater- I think that Wade has a lot of common strengths with the strengths of FCTC.

And I’m not a Crean hater- I think that Wade has a lot of common strengths with the strengths of FCTC.

Agree. Both good coaches just not a coaching philosophy that I like. Both can be successful just glad it’s not at the school I follow

Is the NCAA feeling good after getting hookerville's 2013. Maybe they'll end up taking a few from UCONN. Although I'm sure they'd just have them mailed to UNC to put them up.

This is the sign that the NCAA doesnt see UConn as elite anymore aka to their profit. At the next AAC meeting, UConn can ask SMU how that works out. The NCAA wouldnt have even batted an eye if Calhoun was still there.

2 minutes ago, Tpolock said:

This is breaking on ESPN.  Will this cost Izzo his job?  

BREAKING: A new @E60 and OTL special investigation of the Michigan State athletic department reveals shocking details of a culture of sexual assault inside the men’s basketball and football programs:

https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/956954322289528833

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Not good for izzo. Msu is under the microscope i wonder what stuff they could find at all schools around the country if they paid this much attention. I hate msu and izzo so if they did wrong i hope they get everything and more than they deserve

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, Tpolock said:

This is breaking on ESPN.  Will this cost Izzo his job?  

BREAKING: A new @E60 and OTL special investigation of the Michigan State athletic department reveals shocking details of a culture of sexual assault inside the men’s basketball and football programs:

https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/956954322289528833

"Since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 MSU football players have been accused of sexual assault or violence against women..."    16 in 11 years!  that's scary.

4 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

In this environment, they can’t survive a scandal like this. It already took down the school’s president and AD. Izzo and Dantonio won’t be able to recruit and the negative PR with them staying would be extremely damaging to the school’s reputation.

I hope you're right, I'd love to see Izzo get smacked around a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As the father of 2 daughters and with a granddaughter, what has been publicized in the Nassar case and now these latest revelations about the MSU football and basketball programs is just sickening.  I hope the courage shown by the Nassar accusers will carry forward and other young women will no longer be afraid to make their stories public.  MSU is not the only school where these incidents have taken place but been swept under a rug by college administrators, campus police and in some cases local police authorities.  And should IU ever find itself in this situation, let the chips fall where they will because we will deserve to have every shovelful of dirt there is thrown at us.  

Just ask Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce about trying to sweep abuse under the rug.

It seems like nearly every successful NCAA football and basketball program between 1988 and 2016 was a colossal mess and corrupt pile of **** led by gutless men.

Basketball - UNLV, UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Syracuse, UConn, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, Memphis

Football - Ohio State, Michigan State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Florida, Penn State, Miami, USC, Baylor

This coincides with the (lenghty) period of IU's athletic slump. I realize we have the Sampson blemish on our program's resume, but it was a short incident that was more of a reflection of one coach than the program/athletic department as a whole.  We certainly got our comeuppance and then some on that, and we've been clean since. I also realize our irrelevancy in basketball was more a result of how the coaching searches were run, but maybe it also says something about this school's unwillingness to play the game to be successful in today's college sports landscape. Hopefully these recent incidents finally changes things for the better.