Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I think it's a fairly weird freak event. Current streak is 13 games over 8 game days. Closest in my database is 11 straight over 6 game days in 2011. Also 5-day streaks in 2013 (9 games) and 2014 (8 games).

Bart Torvik

Talking about the B1G home winning streak.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would be shocked if this wasn’t an all time thing for the conference. Think it ends Wednesday, but it would be awesome if it lasted to January.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe there are more of these nowadays because of the “bigger, stronger, faster” players. There’s “less room” on the court because of the quickness of the players. I believe the game is also played a bit more physical from distance than the close physicality in the past. Just my opinion and could be totally off. I believe it’s also been a point of attention and that will always make it seem like it happens more frequently.

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe there are more of these nowadays because of the “bigger, stronger, faster” players. There’s “less room” on the court because of the quickness of the players. I believe the game is also played a bit more physical from distance than the close physicality in the past. Just my opinion and could be totally off. I believe it’s also been a point of attention and that will always make it seem like it happens more frequently.

Is a lot of it precautionary, or the universities being overly sensitive to these types of injuries so they don't take a chance? I remember growing up, taking elbows to the head needing in game stitches, hard collisions, broken nose where I was knocked out. Not once do I remember anyone discussing concussions. Most of the time it was, "You good, okay get your butt back in there" haha. 

Speaking of bigger, stronger, faster players, it really is incredible how much this has developed in the past 15-20 years. I played on an AAU team that won multiple state championships and competed for national championships year in and year out, and remember slapping the backboard on layups as a 6-8 grader was a big deal. An athletic kid here and there could dunk, but didn't come across them too often. Now...everyone and their brother can dunk at a much earlier age. I also think the game is a lot quicker due to AAU moving away from structured offenses and sets, to more motion and pickup style ball. 

I definitely think the high awareness of concussions (and resulting precautionary responses) is a significant factor.  Plus, we've seen two to RP and neither appeared to be significant or violent collisions.  Maybe some players are concussion prone, or because they say after getting one, subsequent ones happen easier (maybe he had one before coming to IU ?).

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Nitty Gritty - Dec. 15, 2019.pdf

Net just released.

B1G:

OSU at 1

Marlyand at 11

Penn St. at 18

Michigan at 21

Michigan St. at 29

Illinois at 32

Iowa at 33

IU at 36

Purdue at 44

Minnesota at 48

Wisconsin at 51

Rutgers 61

Nebraska at 153

Northwestern at 174

12 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Nitty Gritty - Dec. 15, 2019.pdf

Net just released.

B1G:

OSU at 1

Marlyand at 11

Penn St. at 18

Michigan at 21

Michigan St. at 29

Illinois at 32

Iowa at 33

IU at 36

Purdue at 44

Minnesota at 48

Wisconsin at 51

Rutgers 61

Nebraska at 153

Northwestern at 174

Kentucky at 58; with mid/small conference champs included, currently not in the tourney.

They are however, one spot ahead of Kent State. Lol

It’s what I would expect with who we have beaten. We can see where the B1G is. Conference is huge. Keep in mind this is a tool that is not final with seeding too. I doubt anyone would place Purdue higher than other teams with more wins.

Arkansas at 23 and Wisco was a Q1 loss. Our NCSOS is plenty strong. 

Yeah I think so as well. We won’t be a team that can get in with 17 wins, but depending who we beat we could get in with 19 wins. Especially this year. But we are in a good spot to do what we need to get in and see what kind of seed we get. Just have to do it.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah I think so as well. We won’t be a team that can get in with 17 wins, but depending who we beat we could get in with 19 wins. Especially this year. But we are in a good spot to do what we need to get in and see what kind of seed we get. Just have to do it.

No quad 3 or 4 losses and I could see us in with 19 

Not saying we should be ranked -- in fact, I don't think we should be -- but how does Purdue get more voting points than us? Makes no sense. And Liberty? Never thought I'd see the day where Liberty is considered better at basketball than we are! 

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Not saying we should be ranked -- in fact, I don't think we should be -- but how does Purdue get more voting points than us? Makes no sense. And Liberty? Never thought I'd see the day where Liberty is considered better at basketball than we are! 

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Then you just don’t know about Liberty.

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I actually know about Liberty -- I live in Virginia. I was just saying that I never thought I'd see the day in which Liberty is considered better than IU (more in an irony sense). ... Why is everybody so quick to try to prove (or try to prove) everybody wrong -- or prove they "know" more than someone else? G-damn! 

If you don’t agree with the “LCS Top 25 Presented by Bojangles” then you just don’t know basketball. Sorry. 

I actually know about Liberty -- I live in Virginia. I was just saying that I never thought I'd see the day in which Liberty is considered better than IU (more in an ironic sense). ... Why is everybody so quick to try to prove (or try to prove) everybody wrong -- or prove they "know" more than someone else? G-damn! 

I wouldn’t say Liberty is better than IU, but I don’t see any reason to not give them a chance in the Top 25.

Net just released.
B1G:
OSU at 1
Marlyand at 11
Penn St. at 18
Michigan at 21
Michigan St. at 29
Illinois at 32
Iowa at 33
IU at 36
Purdue at 44
Minnesota at 48
Wisconsin at 51
Rutgers 61
Nebraska at 153
Northwestern at 174

Fun fact: Ohio St has been the #1 team in the first NET ranking of the year both years so far.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I actually know about Liberty -- I live in Virginia. I was just saying that I never thought I'd see the day in which Liberty is considered better than IU (more in an ironic sense). ... Why is everybody so quick to try to prove (or try to prove) everybody wrong -- or prove they "know" more than someone else? G-damn! 

But you don't know about Liberty like Joe wants you to think he knows about Liberty!!!!