Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

A Purdoo fan response on twitter: "You forgot to mention starting PG Nojel Eastern DNP for Purdue."

So....that means one more of their guys that wouldn't be in double digits? I'm sure Eastern's mom will be along there any moment to defend her son's NBA prospects. 

41 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

A Purdoo fan response on twitter: "You forgot to mention starting PG Nojel Eastern DNP for Purdue."

So....that means one more of their guys that wouldn't be in double digits? I'm sure Eastern's mom will be along there any moment to defend her son's NBA prospects. 

Without Nojel eastern in the game who on Purdue was going to carry the load as the outside sharpshooter?!?

lol

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
The NCAA has denied a waiver request for Alabama guard Jahvon Quinerly, per release. School will appeal. Transfer from Villanova.

Wonder what kind of waiver did he apply for. I mean, he did play more than the minimum games required to be a “sit a year transfer” correct? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wonder what kind of waiver did he apply for. I mean, he did play more than the minimum games required to be a “sit a year transfer” correct? Or am I missing something?

Everyone that gets an immediate waiver gets it due to being lied to or in a situation that is harmful or out of their control. That is supposedly changing due to the enforcement being iffy at best from sport to sport.

From ESPN this year:

Schools now must prove an athlete's transfer is "due to documented extenuating, extraordinary and mitigating circumstances outside of the student-athlete's control" in order to have a waiver approved, according to the updated guidelines obtained by ESPN. Previously, guidelines required just "documented, mitigating circumstances," a phrase that many think led to an increase in approvals of waiver requests.

There was a reason Edwards shot it 30 times a game. People seem to forget it wasn’t because he was ultra efficient. 

My friend who is a diehard Purdue fan went to the Purde fan fare a few weeks ago and said he left unimpressed and didn’t understand the hype from the media. Said he’d be happy with a tourney appearance this year. People are really underestimating the loss of both Cline (arguably the best shooter in the country) and Edwards (arguably the best scorer in the country). Impossible to replace those 2 guys along with another starter in Eiffert who was a glue guy. High expectations for both the football and basketball program and both could fall flat on their face this year.

7 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

My friend who is a diehard Purdue fan went to the Purde fan fare a few weeks ago and said he left unimpressed and didn’t understand the hype from the media. Said he’d be happy with a tourney appearance this year. People are really underestimating the loss of both Cline (arguably the best shooter in the country) and the Edwards (arguably the best scorer in the country). Impossible to replace those 2 guys along with another start in Eiffert who was a glue guy. High expectations for both the football and basketball program and both could fall flat on their face this year.

I think Painter can scrape something together if anybody can. But yeah they lost a ton these last two years. I’m skeptical 

I think Painter can scrape something together if anybody can. But yeah they lost a ton these last two years. I’m skeptical 

Amazing how a couple years of winning and a deep run will do for a perception of a coach. A couple years ago all you heard people say was painter can’t coach and everyone hoped Purdue extended “pork chop” to a long extension. I’ve always thought we was a heck of coach and ran good stuff. I gained respect for him back when he went through and stretch where he recruited players outside his system and his team suffered and were terrible. He recognized the mistake and owned responsibility and from that point on recruited players to his system. I had to chance to talk hoops with him at a Center Grove game a couple years ago and he couldn’t of been nicer and was a joy to talk college basketball with. Long story short Painter is and always was a good coach and he now getting recognized nationally as a good coach for his last couple years. I think they will be fine this year. Eastern is good college basketball player that can change the game on the defensive side. As long as Wheeler and Williams make sophomore jumps they will be a top half B1G team

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Amazing how a couple years of winning and a deep run will do for a perception of a coach. A couple years ago all you heard people say was painter can’t coach and everyone hoped Purdue extended “pork chop” to a long extension. I’ve always thought we was a heck of coach and ran good stuff. I gained respect for him back when he went through and stretch where he recruited players outside his system and his team suffered and were terrible. He recognized the mistake and owned responsibility and from that point on recruited players to his system. I had to chance to talk hoops with him at a Center Grove game a couple years ago and he couldn’t of been nicer and was a joy to talk college basketball with. Long story short Painter is and always was a good coach and he now getting recognized nationally as a good coach for his last couple years. I think they will be fine this year. Eastern is good college basketball player that can change the game on the defensive side. As long as Wheeler and Williams make sophomore jumps they will be a top half B1G team

^^This.^^

Painter has lost a lot of shooting, and that matters. But, this is the longest, most athletic team that Purdue has or will have in a long, long time. And that matters too.

Yeah I hate that I have to respect Matt Painter, but I do. His teams were very fun to watch the last few years because they moved so well with and without the ball. 

As for this year I think they lost a lot and they will take a step back. But that step back will still be top half of the big ten. I am not buying that they will be a top 15 team like a lot of the sites are projecting (7th on kenpom).

I will be surprised if they don't make the tournament because of their length and ability to defend. 

No World Series, Football game is going to stink tonight. NBA is the NBA, you might as well watch Nebraska play in Italy on the BTN at 8

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No NBA on unless you have NBATV or local. But Philly at Atlanta should be a good game. Blazers are fun to watch. Nuggets are fun to watch. Clippers have an insanely good bench.

No World Series, Football game is going to stink tonight. NBA is the NBA, you might as well watch Nebraska play in Italy on the BTN at 8

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Looks like it’s a behind the scenes on their trip to Italy. Disappointed

Went to USI-Evansville exhibition tonight.Great game! USI was a final four team last year in D2 and the Aces have had a lot of hype (doesn't mean squat). Evansville won 71-68 in OT. Was really disappointed in the Aces. Evansville has two top 100 recruits and two starters from other mid major teams that transferred in. That plus their leading scorer and a few key reserves from last year returned. USI was without their two best returning players from last year and lost 4 key guys due to graduation. Aces look to be the mid-major version of the Browns. They have a long way to go. They play Kentucky in two weeks. 

BREAKING: #Illini forward Tevian Jones has been suspended indefinitely due to a violation of team academic policies.

Jones received a suspension last season as well for a violation of team rules.

Y'all may think "who the heck is that?", but Jones is a hyper -talented 6'7" small forward (kinda a Troy Williams skill set) who was slated to play real minutes this year for an Illini team that is already really shallow up front. So in a B1G pecking order sense this matters a bit.