Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

36 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You may not like it, but that’s today’s game. Which has actually helped advance the game as players have become more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hmmm, I think it would be more accurate to say "changed" instead of "advance" the game. I'd argue that players aren't more versatile, just more willing/capable to take 3 pointers.....but have sacrificed other aspects of their game as a result. Net result? Different, but not necessarily "better". More Euro style and not pretty to watch at times.   

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Hmmm, I think it would be more accurate to say "changed" instead of "advance" the game. I'd argue that players aren't more versatile, just more willing/capable to take 3 pointers.....but have sacrificed other aspects of their game as a result. Net result? Different, but not necessarily "better". More Euro style and not pretty to watch at times.   

You seriously don't think players in today's game are more versatile??

28 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

You seriously don't think players in today's game are more versatile??

Meh, I'm sure to some degree, but on the whole? Not really. Is a 6'10" guy that can hoist threes but never goes into the lane "more versatile" than a big man of years gone by that can score in the paint but never shot beyond 12'? Of course everyone wants to be Kevin Durant, but they aren't. Versatile is having a well-rounded skill set, not just trading one skill for another. Big men without post moves or Guards that can't make an entry pass to the block or anyone that can't hit a FT aren't versatile in my opinion, no matter what other NBA-friendly skills they might possess. That's just bad fundamentals.

Even if players are more versatile today, what is the result? Do you think basketball (at any level) is better then 20, 25, or 30 yrs ago? I don't. I'm not as old as that statement makes me sound :)         

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Meh, I'm sure to some degree, but on the whole? Not really. Is a 6'10" guy that can hoist threes but never goes into the lane "more versatile" than a big man of years gone by that can score in the paint but never shot beyond 12'? Of course everyone wants to be Kevin Durant, but they aren't. Versatile is having a well-rounded skill set, not just trading one skill for another. Big men without post moves or Guards that can't make an entry pass to the anyone that can't hit a FT aren't versatile in my opinion, no matter what other NBA-friendly skills they might possess. That's just bad fundamentals.

Even if players are more versatile today, what is the result? Do you think basketball (at any level) is better then 20, 25, or 30 yrs ago? I don't. I'm not as old as that statement makes me sound :)         

You may not like it, but that’s today’s game. Which has actually helped advance the game as players have become more versatile.

Thanks for educating me Joe. Let me know which game plan you were a part of that said a 3 is always the best shot available. I want to check that box score.

Thanks for educating me Joe. Let me know which game plan you were a part of that said a 3 is always the best shot available. I want to check that box score.

I was never part of one. The most successful teams I was on we ran strictly motion outside of one play because my dad was such a huge fan of Bobby Knight. But if you ask a guy like Mike D’Antoni, he is a guy who is going to shoot a lot of 3’s and on purpose. It’s his goal to shoot a lot. Stan Van Gundy’s gameplan in Orlando was layup or 3 and it was successful for a little bit.

I was never part of one. The most successful teams I was on we ran strictly motion outside of one play because my dad was such a huge fan of Bobby Knight. But if you ask a guy like Mike D’Antoni, he is a guy who is going to shoot a lot of 3’s and on purpose. It’s his goal to shoot a lot. Stan Van Gundy’s gameplan in Orlando was layup or 3 and it was successful for a little bit.

Again, using the most extreme example to prove a point. We are not going to play at a D’Antoni level in college. So no, we are not game planning at IU a 3 is our best shot available every time down the floor.

Again, using the most extreme example to prove a point. We are not going to play at a D’Antoni level in college. So no, we are not game planning at IU a 3 is our best shot available every time down the floor.

Who said Indiana was ever going to do that?

Who said Indiana was ever going to do that? 

Teams now make it to where the game plan is that the 3 is the best shot available.  

This has been your stance. This isn’t the first time you have said this. Joe, agree to disagree on many things. There is no point in rehashing this discussion. I have no ambitions of arguing any points you are trying to make. I can’t keep up with your craziness unless I am on acid.

This has been your stance. This isn’t the first time you have said this. Joe, agree to disagree on many things. There is no point in rehashing this discussion. I have no ambitions of arguing any points you are trying to make. I can’t keep up with your craziness unless I am on acid.

Did I say all teams do it? No. You just like to put words in my mouth so you can disagree.

Bit of surprising news out of today's closed scrimmage between Michigan State and Gonzaga.

In two 20-minute periods, Zags won, 103–87. Corey Kispert led Gonzaga with 28 points. Cassius Winston led MSU with 20 pts.

Brendan Quinn

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Minnesota over Iowa State 77-68 in a Secret Scrimmage, per release. 17 a piece for Gabe Kalscheur and Marcus Carr.
Jon Rothstein

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We should do a preseason B1G ranking. Would be interesting. Beyond that top tier or two really there is a lot of parity it seems. The ability to move up the pecking list is there, but it’s the same for quite a few teams. Ready for the season to get going!