Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Interesting dilemma for the Hokies here -- on many levels. Even though they've beaten Duke before, I don't think they will Friday night -- and it would only get tougher without Outlaw. I'm sorta of the opinion that having marijuana isn't a huge deal, but rules are rules (depending on what Tech's are). Buzz Williams is most likely on his way to Texas A&M a few days after the season anyway, so does he suspend the kid or say, "I'm leaving anyway, let's go for broke..." 

17 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Coaching change, don’t believe he has to sit out 

5 hours ago, pumpfake said:

IMO, Rob and Yogi are vastly different point guards.  First and foremost is shooting ability.  Yogi was a good shooter who became a very good one.  Thus far Rob is a mediocre one, but can certainly become better.  Yogi was much quicker.  Rob can get to the rim better but needs to finish, which I think he can and will.  Personally I feel Rob can be a better PG in a pass first role, Yogi better as a shoot first one.

Rob has a ways to go to be sure, but for me he's the one existing player on the team that I feel confident about improving.

Yogi was a 30% three point shooter as a freshman.

17 hours ago, BtownBanner6 said:

Coaching change, don’t believe he has to sit out 

5 hours ago, pumpfake said:

IMO, Rob and Yogi are vastly different point guards.  First and foremost is shooting ability.  Yogi was a good shooter who became a very good one.  Thus far Rob is a mediocre one, but can certainly become better.  Yogi was much quicker.  Rob can get to the rim better but needs to finish, which I think he can and will.  Personally I feel Rob can be a better PG in a pass first role, Yogi better as a shoot first one.

Rob has a ways to go to be sure, but for me he's the one existing player on the team that I feel confident about improving.

52 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Interesting dilemma for the Hokies here -- on many levels. Even though they've beaten Duke before, I don't think they will Friday night -- and it would only get tougher without Outlaw. I'm sorta of the opinion that having marijuana isn't a huge deal, but rules are rules (depending on what Tech's are). Buzz Williams is most likely on his way to Texas A&M a few days after the season anyway, so does he suspend the kid or say, "I'm leaving anyway, let's go for broke..." 

What a "Buzz-kill!"

thankyouthankyoupleasetipyourwaitress

16 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

Rob is a hell of an athlete. In case no one remembers him jamming it against Northwestern? But he was outside the Top 100 as a recruit for a reason. Yogi was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Sure rankings can be wrong, but majority of the time they are saying something. Yogi had the “it” factor and the balls and shoulders to carry a program. Does Rob have that? Maybe. Yogi put the program on his back for 3 seasons after Zeller, Vic, Watford and Hulls left. And we got 2 NCAA tourneys out of it and a Sweet 16. Yogi was part of 3 of the 4 NCAA tourneys we’ve been to the last decade. Yogi was a very special CBB player and a vocal leader and lead by example. People need to slow their horses thinking Rob could be Yogi. Maybe remember back and understand how good Yogi was in his 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not to mention a couple B1G titles. Guys dont remember how good Yogi was cause most of them were on here bitching about him. Meanwhile I was saying enjoy him while you can because we'll be lucky to get another pg of that caliber.

Thanks for digging that up as I was thinking the same thing. So often we remember a player based on how they played as an upperclassman. Yogi’s 3pt % was lower than Robs and they ppg was pretty similar at around 7 ppg.

Yogi also had some challenges becoming a leader. But as a senior he had become such a great pg.

This is why many kids need 4 years to develop as it takes time. Rob may not be as quick as Yogi but he can still become a really strong pg for us IF he is willing to put in the time.

Things could be worse... we could be Washington State who just hired Kyle Smith from San Francisco. That’s a school who isn’t worried about winning in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[/url]  

You know Coach K would have some bs excuse for not suspending his own player. Talk about how he had a very serious conversation and can see that the real punishment was in disappointing the Duke brotherhood blah blah blah.

Have I mentioned that Coach K is an uptight and pretentious hypocrite?

9 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

You know Coach K would have some bs excuse for not suspending his own player. Talk about how he had a very serious conversation and can see that the real punishment was in disappointing the Duke brotherhood blah blah blah.

Have I mentioned that Coach K is an uptight and pretentious hypocrite?

Take that same statement and substitute Izzo for K. It works too. 

Does anyone have any insight into the Brunk situation? He got plenty of playing time. Butler supposedly has the Butler Way that is the most awesomely infectious thing ever and is an irresistible force. Are there supposedly loggerheads with Jordan? Something isn’t adding up for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The way it was explained to me he doesn't feel like he fits in with Jordan's system. He was recruited by Holtman but he really wanted to come to IU but didn't want to play for Crean. I was told around the Crossroads Classic that he was going to be a grad transfer and IU was a likely destination. 

Props to Chris for using discretion with this information.  Probably not easy not to share every piece of information he gets.  But putting that info out there in December wouldn't have been a good decision on many levels.  Both a gentleman and a scholar.  

I was with some Butler fans over the weekend.  They are not happy with Jordan.  They think they're basketball royalty now, and don't feel he is maintaining The Butler Way.  They also have some weird hatred towards IU and call us rivals.  I'll never get that.  For the most part it feels like Indiana and Purdue fans cheer for Butler when we can.  

I have my thoughts on Brunk but I'll put them in the recruiting thread.  

The way it was explained to me he doesn't feel like he fits in with Jordan's system. He was recruited by Holtman but he really wanted to come to IU but didn't want to play for Crean. I was told around the Crossroads Classic that he was going to be a grad transfer and IU was a likely destination. 

Thanks for the quick response

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Props to Chris for using discretion with this information.  Probably not easy not to share every piece of information he gets.  But putting that info out there in December wouldn't have been a good decision on many levels.  Both a gentleman and a scholar.  

I was with some Butler fans over the weekend.  They are not happy with Jordan.  They think they're basketball royalty now, and don't feel he is maintaining The Butler Way.  They also have some weird hatred towards IU and call us rivals.  I'll never get that.  For the most part it feels like Indiana and Purdue fans cheer for Butler when we can.  

I have my thoughts on Brunk but I'll put them in the recruiting thread.  

Thank you sir.

It's funny I have a close friend in the Butler athletic office who is good friends with Jordan. But even he has his doubts about him. Most of their fans really want Matta back.