Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

That’s good enough for UCLA? Top 4 in the Big 12. Lofty expectations. Dude he was not that good and had two good years, a bad heart, and isn’t old but isn’t young at 46. If he was young and had those two good years he might get an interview. But if you think a coach coming off of a firing is a good fit for UCLA after what they went through with Alford cause they have a fun offense you are nuts. Not exactly a good sell to the antsy fan base. If they went after him, thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think if you're Iowa State, being top 4 in the Big 12 pretty consistently is definitely good enough.  He's a really good coach, and if I was UCLA, he'd be on my list.

I think if you're Iowa State, being top 4 in the Big 12 pretty consistently is definitely good enough.  He's a really good coach, and if I was UCLA, he'd be on my list.

The Big 12 is consistently not very good. Only one year he was in the top 4 was the conference any good. That said he hasn’t proven he can recruit. He just got fired from the NBA. Never been past Sweet 16. He has heart issues. His ties are to the Midwest specifically Iowa. Why would he be on your guys list?

Edit: If Guerrero doesn’t go to Beard or Marshall first who have better coaching abilities and ties to the West he deserves what kind of record they will get. If Hoiberg was even elite or made a run at any point ok. But he has been solid at best and got fired from a job he got because of relationships. That gets you a NC State job. Not UCLA.

Tyus Edney's name popping up as Alford's replacement if he's definitely let go.

He had a good layup in the tourney . Wouldn’t be the worst thing to make him interim for the remainder of the year to please boosters.

Short list for UCLA should be...
Fred Hoiberg
Buzz Williams(Virginia Tech)
Kelvin Sampson(Houston)
Chris Beard(Texas Tech)
Steve Wojciechowski(Marquette)
Nate Oats(Buffalo)
Eric Musselman(Nevada)

Probably a couple others that could be mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Straight for UCLA premium board in order
Donavan
Bennett
Dixon
Hoiberg
Keatts
Beilein
Cronin
Marshall
Beard
Utah coach
Others mentioned
Brey
Musselman
Watson
UCLA could put calls in
Wright
Few
Mack
Miller(IU)

Calipari failed in the NBA. Rick Pitino failed in the NBA. Nick Saban failed in the NFL. Getting fired in the professional ranks doesn’t mean much. The fact Hoiberg made Iowa State into a tourney team 4 out of 5 years is pretty good. Especially a school that was historically not very good. They had been to the tourney 13 times and hadn’t been since 2005. He took over, went 16-16 in his first season then went 23-11, 23-12, 28-8 and 25-9. We would have killed for that kind of consistency under Crean. I can guarantee UCLA and the PAC-12 would like some consistency like that too. Hoiberg wasn’t a guy who recruited big time names but was able to use a bunch of transfers to win a lot of games. He would get some high ranked kids who want to go to UCLA but he’d likely still use transfers as well. And he would start next season with a talented bunch likely. The PAC-12 needs what it can take. Hoiberg would be a good fit for a program that needs some entertaining juice.

But those coaches you mentioned won before they went to professionals. Very big difference. All three showed they could recruit at their respective spots. You see that correct? I don’t know what your big love with Hoiberg is (this isn’t the first time you threw him out there) but he is a solid coach. He hasn’t shown himself to be a game changer. UCLA is going big game hunting. A coach with his limitations I just don’t see. Will he get an interview? Pagano is getting one with the Packers so he just might. But I don’t see anyone outside of you that would be excited about him going there. I could see Hoiberg in a situation that is solid like an NC St. or a Maryland. I don’t see him at a Blue Blood at all.

If it’s me I go after Beard or Marshall. I think both would be great there. Also Mussleman would do good as well. All with West Coast ties. I think all 3 are excellent coaches in the right environment.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Will the B1G chase Alford? I’d really rather not have him in the conference.

I'm curious as to your reasoning.  

But worry not, he will not get an offer from a power 5 school anytime soon.

15 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I'm curious as to your reasoning.  

But worry not, he will not get an offer from a power 5 school anytime soon.

Why not? I mean I'm sure a school like Penn St or Rutgers would love to have him. Ultimately though I see him ending up in a conference like the American or Mountain West. He did do well at New Mexico. It's very much like Crean in the fact that I believe he is good enough to keep a job a while if it is not a pressure cooker. 

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Straight for UCLA premium board in order
Donavan
Bennett
Dixon
Hoiberg
Keatts
Beilein
Cronin
Marshall
Beard
Utah coach
Others mentioned
Brey
Musselman
Watson
UCLA could put calls in
Wright
Few
Mack
Miller(IU)

I would throw in Bobby Hurley as well. I think he can be had since ASU is not a destination job and he has really elevated that program since he has been there. Hoiberg seems doable but he seems like a Midwest guy to me. Musselman makes sense too but I wonder if he ends back up in the NBA. 

56 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Will the B1G chase Alford? I’d really rather not have him in the conference.

I'd be very surprised.  I'm sure there's a whole lot more stuff out there about Steve than what we've heard over the years but well-known among the coaching ranks.