Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

12 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I found it mildly interesting that it was daddy doing all the talking.

Still think there’s activity under the surface here. This is dad telling a local media outlet what they need to hear. Know this decision isn’t mutual between players and parent. Will be interested to see if a transfer out presents an opportunity that maybe they’re monitoring but doesn’t exist right now with the cream and crimson. Wouldn’t call this dead in the water yet. 

34 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Still think there’s activity under the surface here. This is dad telling a local media outlet what they need to hear. Know this decision isn’t mutual between players and parent. Will be interested to see if a transfer out presents an opportunity that maybe they’re monitoring but doesn’t exist right now with the cream and crimson. Wouldn’t call this dead in the water yet. 

I hope he's not coming to B-town. If IU gets a transfer I hope it's a big or barring that, anyone else other then Brooks. 

25 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I hope he's not coming to B-town. If IU gets a transfer I hope it's a big or barring that, anyone else other then Brooks. 

Not me, i'd gladly take him.  However he does seem to represent exactly the type of player Jerome Hunter is.   I think Brooks is better at the moment, but not by a landslide.  Brooks played very well with TJD.  Brooks has some midrange game and finishing ability he didn't showcase at Kentucky.  Brooks wasn't good this season, but i don't think that's who Brooks is.  But i'm happy to see if Jerome Hunter can grow into that player for us, i'd just like him to be more versatile and utilize more than catch and shoot 3's.  

Keion Brooks announced he was returning to Kentucky and not...wait for it...going pro. LOL, did he really think he had a chance of getting drafted? Look, I am all for kids wanting to live out their dream of going pro. But he averaged less than 5 points a game. He needs to focus on becoming a better college player right now. 

Cal likely promised Keion more playing time next season. Keion wasn't going to get drafted but he has talent and might have transferred if he wasn't told his playing time would increase. I wouldn't take what he says publicly about postponing a move to the NBA. He's only a kid and these kids say things even if they aren't terribly credible even to themselves.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Cal likely promised Keion more playing time next season. Keion wasn't going to get drafted but he has talent and might have transferred if he wasn't told his playing time would increase. I wouldn't take what he says publicly about postponing a move to the NBA. He's only a kid and these kids say things even if they aren't terribly credible even to themselves.

Cal is bringing in a six-man recruiting class in 2020. Three 5-stars and three 4-stars. Two of the recruits play KB’s position and are the number 3 and 5 PF’s in the class, respectively. I think playtime will be about the same as last year if he stays at UK. 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:37 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

From things I’ve heard, it took awhile for Knight to hand over the keys to Zeke.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes,early that year in a game at Carolina he benched Thomas in the second half for playing out of control and they beat us handily.

To this day I think he sacrificed that win to teach Zeke a lesson.In the championship game we pretty much ran over the same Carolina team in the second half of the game.

14 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Garza from Iowa is another example. Somebody on another board said he should leave this year because his stock will never be higher. I pointed out he isn't projected to be drafted, so he really doesn't have any "stock." (that's another word that I'm seeing a lot, in addition to "potential")

Omg this kid has another year? He has put in a ton of work just look at his first couple of years. I’m not saying our newest recruit has the same skill set as Garza, but living in the gym can pay off. I hope he goes pro lol, and we can finally defend the outside vs Iowa this coming year.

21 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Probably a few factors, but it's almost entirely the NBA's fault. In my opinion there shouldn't be any constraint on when a player can get drafted. Kobe, LeBron, Moses Malone, etc SHOULD be drafter out of high school. The problem is the NBA has no discipline and started gambling on guys that were a stretch. Instead of allowing them to mature and develop it became about potential and measurables. Who cares if this kid can't shoot and doesn't know how to wipe his own butt? He has really long arms! It's pathetic and embarrassing. The NBA is supposed to be the adults in the room and instead pander to the lowest common denominator so some GM can look like the smartest guy in the room for taking 19yr old "next Fill in the blank" when they usually turn out to be the next Greg Oden. The NBA product has suffered (again, IMO) as a result too. They should be able to draft kids, just shouldn't do it very often, but they are too smart for that. 

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough, and I can tell you this was definitely a big piece of it as I was working in a front office during this time period that drafted 3 straight from high school players, that the change to the one and done rule wasn't really that much about gambling on kids that didn't pan out. To be honest, a high percentage of the high school kids did pan out, depending on your definition of "panning out". 

It was mainly about two factors, one that gets talked about a lot which was David Stern not really wanting NBA scouts and GM's in high school gyms, and one that rarely gets talked about, though was one of the biggest driving forces for the one and done rule was NBA teams we're struggling to sell these kids to season ticket holders and prospective sponsors once it became 5-6+ high school kids per year. 

NBA teams in the lottery and even outside the lottery are selling the future and hope to their season ticket holders and prospective sponsors. But, this was when Facebook was in its infancy and just for college kids, Twitter and YouTube weren't even a thing, and there certainly wasn't Tik Tok or SnapChat. 

Teams couldn't sell Martell Webster, Dorrell Wright, Gerald Green, Desagana Diop, Kendrick Perkins, DeShawn Stevenson, JR Smith, etc. These kids weren't being promoted on twitter, youtube, tik tok, etc. NBA teams were struggling to sell their first round picks that nobody had heard of to season ticket holders and sponsors. 

A huge piece of the one and done rule was to get the free marketing and promotion that the NCAA provides these kids. Now, the Atlanta Hawks can sell Trey Young and Cam Reddish to their community. RJ Barrett spending a season at Duke was huge for the Knicks ability to sell him. It goes on and on.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough, and I can tell you this was definitely a big piece of it as I was working in a front office during this time period that drafted 3 straight from high school players, that the change to the one and done rule wasn't really that much about gambling on kids that didn't pan out. To be honest, a high percentage of the high school kids did pan out, depending on your definition of "panning out". 
It was mainly about two factors, one that gets talked about a lot which was David Stern not really wanting NBA scouts and GM's in high school gyms, and one that rarely gets talked about, though was one of the biggest driving forces for the one and done rule was NBA teams we're struggling to sell these kids to season ticket holders and prospective sponsors once it became 5-6+ high school kids per year. 
NBA teams in the lottery and even outside the lottery are selling the future and hope to their season ticket holders and prospective sponsors. But, this was when Facebook was in its infancy and just for college kids, Twitter and YouTube weren't even a thing, and there certainly wasn't Tik Tok or SnapChat. 
Teams couldn't sell Martell Webster, Dorrell Wright, Gerald Green, Desagana Diop, Kendrick Perkins, DeShawn Stevenson, JR Smith, etc. These kids weren't being promoted on twitter, youtube, tik tok, etc. NBA teams were struggling to sell their first round picks that nobody had heard of to season ticket holders and sponsors. 
A huge piece of the one and done rule was to get the free marketing and promotion that the NCAA provides these kids. Now, the Atlanta Hawks can sell Trey Young and Cam Reddish to their community. RJ Barrett spending a season at Duke was huge for the Knicks ability to sell him. It goes on and on.

That definitely makes sense. Though I think that’d really have hurt a guy like Gerald Green who took several years to find his place in the league. We obviously have our LeBrons and Zions but most guys take a few years just in the league to be ready. Once the rule changes, I think you’ll see it get back to like 2005 where a few HS kids leave for the NBA. I think it’ll start out with relatively a lot trying to go, and that number going down as those players see the difficulty in trying to make it in the most difficult league to enter.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That definitely makes sense. Though I think that’d really have hurt a guy like Gerald Green who took several years to find his place in the league. We obviously have our LeBrons and Zions but most guys take a few years just in the league to be ready. Once the rule changes, I think you’ll see it get back to like 2005 where a few HS kids leave for the NBA. I think it’ll start out with relatively a lot trying to go, and that number going down as those players see the difficulty in trying to make it in the most difficult league to enter.

If they do change the rule back, everything will be different this time. The league and society in general with social media, etc., is much better set up to support it. These guys now have marketability coming right out of high school. They have millions of followers on social media platforms, so they're not unknown entities now. 

Then you add in how the G-League has evolved over the last 3 or so years, and now for example you won't have Kendrick Perkins playing in just 14 games his rookie and mostly being in a suit on the end of the bench. You'll have that kid starting on your G-League team for development and fans getting to know him by following their G-League affiliate on twitter, facebook, etc., and there will be a ton of excitement when he gets called up due to an injury or something. 

The entire landscape is different. 

If they do change the rule back, everything will be different this time. The league and society in general with social media, etc., is much better set up to support it. These guys now have marketability coming right out of high school. They have millions of followers on social media platforms, so they're not unknown entities now. 
Then you add in how the G-League has evolved over the last 3 or so years, and now for example you won't have Kendrick Perkins playing in just 14 games his rookie and mostly being in a suit on the end of the bench. You'll have that kid starting on your G-League team for development and fans getting to know him by following their G-League affiliate on twitter, facebook, etc., and there will be a ton of excitement when he gets called up due to an injury or something. 
The entire landscape is different. 

Once all 30 teams get a G-League team it’ll be easier as well. And hopefully teams see how it can be used as a farm system. Something it’s not been used much as. But I also think these kids will see how difficult it is. It takes a special talent to really make it out of HS and you have to have the mental strength to make it through.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Once all 30 teams get a G-League team it’ll be easier as well. And hopefully teams see how it can be used as a farm system. Something it’s not been used much as. But I also think these kids will see how difficult it is. It takes a special talent to really make it out of HS and you have to have the mental strength to make it through.

The G-League has made great strides over the last few years, and I believe next year all 30 teams will have an affiliate. I think it's ready now and we're already seeing it's impact. The advent of the 2-way contracts was a big deal that has not only improved the G-League, but made it easier for those fringe guys to latch onto NBA teams. 

I'll use the Celtics as an example since I'm most familiar with them, but with the 2-way contracts both Tremont Waters and Taco Fall are guys that the Celtics now have an investment in. The organization is much more invested in their development than they would have been 5 years ago, and 5 years ago those two probably never see an NBA court, but with the new contract rules with the G-League both saw NBA time last season.

You can make the same case for Juwan Morgan. 5 years ago he probably never sees an NBA court, but since he was able to secure a 2-way deal initially with the Jazz (I think that's what he initially had, could be wrong) they're now much more invested in him. Now, he gets called up when there are injuries, whereas 5 years ago they probably go outside the org for that. 

I think the 2-way deals and the NBA dropping the 1st round contract commitment from 4 years to 2 years, has really made leaving early when you're not a first round lock much more viable. Teams aren't as invested in 1st round picks as they used to be and it's actually made 2nd round picks and undrafted guys more valuable because a guy drafted 5th in the second round doesn't have a contract much different than a guy drafted 27th in the 1st round.

The G-League has made great strides over the last few years, and I believe next year all 30 teams will have an affiliate. I think it's ready now and we're already seeing it's impact. The advent of the 2-way contracts was a big deal that has not only improved the G-League, but made it easier for those fringe guys to latch onto NBA teams. 
I'll use the Celtics as an example since I'm most familiar with them, but with the 2-way contracts both Tremont Waters and Taco Fall are guys that the Celtics now have an investment in. The organization is much more invested in their development than they would have been 5 years ago, and 5 years ago those two probably never see an NBA court, but with the new contract rules with the G-League both saw NBA time last season.
You can make the same case for Juwan Morgan. 5 years ago he probably never sees an NBA court, but since he was able to secure a 2-way deal initially with the Jazz (I think that's what he initially had, could be wrong) they're now much more invested in him. Now, he gets called up when there are injuries, whereas 5 years ago they probably go outside the org for that. 
I think the 2-way deals and the NBA dropping the 1st round contract commitment from 4 years to 2 years, has really made leaving early when you're not a first round lock much more viable. Teams aren't as invested in 1st round picks as they used to be and it's actually made 2nd round picks and undrafted guys more valuable because a guy drafted 5th in the second round doesn't have a contract much different than a guy drafted 27th in the 1st round.

Those guys leaving early to be undrafted or go 2nd round just need to understand how difficult making the league is. But some guys are content with just getting a paycheck. Which the G-League paycheck is supposed to jump up quite a bit. I know when I went and tried out for the Mad Antz a few years ago, the salary was like 25k or something. Which is what I make now as a cook. I guess that could really deter a lot of your Top 30 recruits or so. College basketball is going to be very different come that time.

15 hours ago, schoosier said:

Omg this kid has another year? He has put in a ton of work just look at his first couple of years. I’m not saying our newest recruit has the same skill set as Garza, but living in the gym can pay off. I hope he goes pro lol, and we can finally defend the outside vs Iowa this coming year.

Bohannon has another year, too. Next year might be that once every five or six year team that Iowa produces that contends for the conference title and keeps some heat off of Fran. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Bohannon has another year, too. Next year might be that once every five or six year team that Iowa produces every year that contends for the conference title and keeps some heat off of Fran. 

Very possibly. Iowa never seems too interested in defense and that always keeps them from winning big, but next year they might be able to just outscore everyone. 

A little Thursday morning trivia.

2019-20 at the Division 1 Level:

21 Former Junior College HC’s / 384-280 overall record / 57.8 winning % / 4 Conf. Coach of the Year Awards

23 Former NBA Players as HC’s / 341-377 overall record / 47.5 winning % / 2 Conf. Coach of the Year Awards