Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Their run through the tournament was almost magical in a sense because our overall record wasn't that impressive.   I hope I remember it accurately but in our opening round against Maryland they came out strong and we just seemed to be bumbling around.  TV timeout and from that point on we just kicked Maryland's butt all the way back to College Park.  During one of the timeouts the TV mics picked up Dreisell asking his team if they liked getting embarrassed (or something along those lines; it's been nearly 40 years)!!  Then in the semifinals we kicked Dale (Sleaze) Brown and LSU.  Awesome season.

You've got it right. That Maryland team was loaded and IU just ran them out of the building. It was so bad that the broadcast cut to another game at the end. IU has had a lot of great players over the years, but Isaiah Thomas was, and still is, the best I have ever seen there. Every time I watch a replay of one of the games from that season, I'm amazed all over again. I have no idea why it took that team so long to figure it out. I just remember being so frustrated with them through December and much of January.

I thought that Calipari lost that game by not being aggressive enough down the stretch. They had more talent and, if they continued to play the game they had all season, they would have won. Funny how losing just one game takes a team out of the discussion of best team ever. As much as I loved the '76 t IU team, I've always thought the end of the year '81 team was the best I've ever seen at IU.

That 14-15 team is arguably the best team of all time. Best team doesn’t always win the title. The talent on that team was ridiculous. And the size and length was more ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Great story from someone on the inside. Thanks for sharing it. I couldn't believe how inept they were at times early given the talent. But when they figured it out, especially Turner, they were arguably the best I have seen at IU. Isaiah always had the talent, and attitude, to be great. It just took him, and coach, a bit to know what to do with it.

30 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Great story from someone on the inside. Thanks for sharing it. I couldn't believe how inept they were at times early given the talent. But when they figured it out, especially Turner, they were arguably the best I have seen at IU. Isaiah always had the talent, and attitude, to be great. It just took him, and coach, a bit to know what to do with it.

I’d love to hear the story of the light coming on for Turner. That dude went from flat out lost to the best big in the country not named Ralph Sampson in something like 2 1/2 months. Incredible.

I’d love to hear the story of the light coming on for Turner. That dude went from flat out lost to the best big in the country not named Ralph Sampson in something like 2 1/2 months. Incredible.
They talked about it on an episode of Big Ten Elite which covered the 81 Hoosiers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, cthomas said:

You've got it right. That Maryland team was loaded and IU just ran them out of the building. It was so bad that the broadcast cut to another game at the end. IU has had a lot of great players over the years, but Isaiah Thomas was, and still is, the best I have ever seen there. Every time I watch a replay of one of the games from that season, I'm amazed all over again. I have no idea why it took that team so long to figure it out. I just remember being so frustrated with them through December and much of January.

I remember after they cut away from our game,totally pissing me off one of the announcers a few minutes later saying IU is putting on an absolute clinic against Maryland.I agree, in my opinion at the end of the year that was as good an IU team I have ever seen.75 and 76 included.

The three greatest, most talented players to put an IU uniform are Isiah Thomas, George McGinnis, and Walt Bellamy. There are many players who played 3 or four years who are rated higher because of the overall contribution that a longer career allowed--e.g., Scott May, Calbert Cheaney, Steve Alford. But the talent level of Thomas, McGinnis, and Bellamy was head and shoulders above all the other great IU players.

That tournament run was incredible. I was a Freshman walk-on at Oral Roberts University in 80-81 and we played IU at Market Square Arena in Dec ‘80. We lost by 9. Needless to say, I did not play. That IU team at that point, despite the ridiculous talent level, just wasn’t very good. Offensively, they were a mess. Tolbert and Turner were constantly running into each other and ending up in the same space.  Turner couldn’t figure out his reads at all. Our 2 bigs, Mark Acres and Tom Prusater, absolutely outplayed them. And our pg, Cat Johnson, who may have been the quickest on ball defender in the country, was able to keep Isiah out of the lane and generally pissed him off. But we couldn’t really match up with Wittman and, in particular, Kitchell. Those 2 bailed them out. RMK was shockingly calm given how far off they were, except for Turner, who he was just killing. And, yeah, the growth of that group from December to March was pretty astounding, though you knew it was gonna come eventually. Watched the NC game with teammates and we were amazed at what Isiah did to Jimmy Black after Cat played him even or better. Haven’t talked to him in years, but I guarantee you Cat still talks about what he did to Isiah the way people talk about what Dakich did to Jordan. 

From things I’ve heard, it took awhile for Knight to hand over the keys to Zeke.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, Demo said:

That tournament run was incredible. I was a Freshman walk-on at Oral Roberts University in 80-81 and we played IU at Market Square Arena in Dec ‘80. We lost by 9. Needless to say, I did not play. That IU team at that point, despite the ridiculous talent level, just wasn’t very good. Offensively, they were a mess. Tolbert and Turner were constantly running into each other and ending up in the same space.  Turner couldn’t figure out his reads at all. Our 2 bigs, Mark Acres and Tom Prusater, absolutely outplayed them. And our pg, Cat Johnson, who may have been the quickest on ball defender in the country, was able to keep Isiah out of the lane and generally pissed him off. But we couldn’t really match up with Wittman and, in particular, Kitchell. Those 2 bailed them out. RMK was shockingly calm given how far off they were, except for Turner, who he was just killing. And, yeah, the growth of that group from December to March was pretty astounding, though you knew it was gonna come eventually. Watched the NC game with teammates and we were amazed at what Isiah did to Jimmy Black after Cat played him even or better. Haven’t talked to him in years, but I guarantee you Cat still talks about what he did to Isiah the way people talk about what Dakich did to Jordan. 

The evolution of Knight/Turner was substantial.

For those who expected otherwise --

Kentucky freshman Keion Brooks Jr. will return to Kentucky for his sophomore year, his father Keion Brooks Sr. told CatsPause.com Monday.  “We’re still in the process of getting feedback but we know what we’re going to do as far as coming back,” Brooks said.  “That’s more for how to get better and improve on what they’re looking for as far as the next level.”  As a freshman during the 2019-20 season, Brooks averaged 4.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, 0.2 assists, 0.4 blocks and 0.4 steals per game in 31 games played. Brooks averaged 15.1 minutes per game, starting in six games.  “They’ll see a better version of him,” Brooks Sr. said on what fans can expect from Brooks Jr. next season. “More of what guys in high school saw him do.  He’ll be more confident. He’s still going to work hard and fight and be that motor guy all the time and he’ll be a kid that wants to win, wants to be there and definitely wants to get better. A better version that we are able to depend on as far as leadership.”  Among Brooks’ fellow classmates, Johnny Juzang is transferring while Kahlil Whitney left Kentucky in the middle of the season and has yet to announce his future plans.