Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

55 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That could definitely bring up another list of players. Players we liked or felt should have been better. Nick Williams(transferred after Creans first year), Hanner Perea, Jeremy Hollowell, Max Hoetzl, Clifton Moore are a few of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I remember watching Hanner play in an AAU tournament at North central High School,  An incredible physical specimen in HS.  

5 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

Yeah,I remember the preseason NIT game against Duke where he just went insane and was unstoppable.Player of the game and had me stoked for his future.Fools Gold as he never played like that again.

Dude could sing though...in three languages.

I remember watching Hanner play in an AAU tournament at North central High School,  An incredible physical specimen in HS.  

They should have just had him doing hand drills constantly. Just catching. That was such a huge problem for him.

We thought Hanner would be a freak of nature after watching his highlight videos. It didn't take long to realize all he could do was dunk. 

In the right system you can make that work. But it’s literally only limited to being a very poor mans Montrezl Harrell.

I remember the Indiana Senior/Junior All-Star's coming to Memorial Gym in Kokomo back then and Cody was on the senior team and Yogi/Hanner/Patterson were all on the Junior team. My dad and I both came away with similar feelings, that Hanner was an insane athlete but had little to no basketball skills. Pre-game warmups he had the crowd ooing and ahhing with all kinds of highlight dunks, and then come game time I'm not sure he even scored. Cody dominated of course. We held out hope that he could be coached up and still turn into something special, but I think he was simply too much of a project even for 4 years of college. 

On 3/28/2020 at 12:51 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That could definitely bring up another list of players. Players we liked or felt should have been better. Nick Williams(transferred after Creans first year), Hanner Perea, Jeremy Hollowell, Max Hoetzl, Clifton Moore are a few of mine.

Excuse me, Max "Montana" lol

Rick Calloway. I remember thinking he could be another Mike Woodson, but that he just didn’t want it badly enough. In retrospect I probably overrated his talent a touch. But he had the tools for a long NBA career.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

Rick Calloway. I remember thinking he could be another Mike Woodson, but that he just didn’t want it badly enough. In retrospect I probably overrated his talent a touch. But he had the tools for a long NBA career.

Hurt his knee during the championship season.

If you heard him interviewed, once his knee was messed up Knight was brutal to him, and drove him out of Bloomington. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hurt his knee during the championship season.

If you heard him interviewed, once his knee was messed up Knight was brutal to him, and drove him out of Bloomington. 

Yeah, I remember the knee, and the Knight stuff was out there in real time as well as afterward. But for me, Calloway’s a really good case study of my expectations from the outside verses the reality of the player. That kid had a good, good college career. But I looked at him and thought he should’ve been an absolute star. So him going out and being good wasn’t enough for me. So he just frustrated the hell out of me. To a lesser degree, I have a similar reaction to Justin Smith. Despite the athletic package, he has limitations in both skill and mental processing that limits his ceiling and forces Archie to scheme around him some on offense. But he’s a really useful player in the right situations and he reps the school really well. So I try really hard not to bust the kid up. He doesn’t deserve it. Neither did Calloway. 

Do you remember the “freak offense” game?

Vaguely. Calloway tipped in a miss to beat LSU, right? My memory definitely isn’t what it used to be.

Yeah you got it. Calloway has reinjured his knee and we were down late in the game. Calloway came back in hobbling on that knee. I can’t remember much other than him getting a rebound basket I think with seconds to go.

During the post game either he or RMK said we ran the freak offense to beat them. LSU was known that year for running a freak defense.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Yeah you got it. Calloway has reinjured his knee and we were down late in the game. Calloway came back in hobbling on that knee. I can’t remember much other than him getting a rebound basket I think with seconds to go.

During the post game either he or RMK said we ran the freak offense to beat them. LSU was known that year for running a freak defense.

Bobby taking a shot at Dale Brown.

He didn't like him much.