Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

18 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

It's getting close to that time so I have to post the big ten tournament predictor website. Only 5 BIG games left. Here's to hoping IU wins out and gets a double bye! at least it is still possible at this point. 

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

THANK you... this is such a cool tool.

Made a few tweaks to the default predictions and came up with IU as the 9 seed playing #8 Rutgers and then #1 Maryland..... That would put us at 11-11 in conference and in my opinion a LOCK for the NCAA Tourney.

Anybody see the Eastern Illinois game? They were 50-23 at home to Murray State with 11:30 left in the game. Came back to win it 63-60.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just your typical 40-10 run to end the game. With no one watching college basketball still delivering. If the replay is on espn + I will watch from the 12 min mark

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just your typical 40-10 run to end the game. With no one watching college basketball still delivering. If the replay is on espn + I will watch from the 12 min mark

I seen some of the highlights. Looked like some ultra sloppy ball from Murray State. Some of the plays looked like they had bets on the game.

Anybody see the Eastern Illinois game? They were 50-23 at home to Murray State with 11:30 left in the game. Came back to win it 63-60.

Here is a link to an article on the game from the local paper.
I went Eastern and the Campus is only about 35 miles from me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I’m about to write something for my site. Top 25 basketball programs over the last 15-20 years or since 1939(haven’t decided yet). I made certain things worth certain points to come up with a total score. Would like some input from whoever would like to give it on the points awarded.
Wins: 1 point for each win.
35+ wins: 3.5 points
30-34: 3.0 points
25-29: 2.5 points
20-24: 2.0 points
NIT: 0.5 points
NCAA Tourney: 2.0 points
Sweet 16: 3.0 points
Elite 8: 5.0 points
Final Four: 7.0 points
Runner Up: 9.0 points
Champs: 11.0 points
Conference titles: 2.0 points
Conference tourney title: 1.0 point

If you're going back to the 1st ncaa tourney, most teams even the champions didnt play 35 games yet win that many. Maybe a bonus for over .900 winning % to compensate.

So I’m about to write something for my site. Top 25 basketball programs over the last 15-20 years or since 1939(haven’t decided yet). I made certain things worth certain points to come up with a total score. Would like some input from whoever would like to give it on the points awarded.
Wins: 1 point for each win.
35+ wins: 3.5 points
30-34: 3.0 points
25-29: 2.5 points
20-24: 2.0 points
NIT: 0.5 points
NCAA Tourney: 2.0 points
Sweet 16: 3.0 points
Elite 8: 5.0 points
Final Four: 7.0 points
Runner Up: 9.0 points
Champs: 11.0 points
Conference titles: 2.0 points
Conference tourney title: 1.0 point

My suggestion would be make conference titles worth more then 2 pts and conference tourney titles worth more then 1 pt. Grinding the whole season to win your conference regular season should be worth more in my opinion. Coaches still value that title. I know you don’t like conference tourneys but they still should be worth more then 1 but less wins then the regular season title.

If you're going back to the 1st ncaa tourney, most teams even the champions didnt play 35 games yet win that many. Maybe a bonus for over .900 winning % to compensate.

That’s why I thought about just doing the last 15-20 years.

My suggestion would be make conference titles worth more then 2 pts and conference tourney titles worth more then 1 pt. Grinding the whole season to win your conference regular season should be worth more in my opinion. Coaches still value that title. I know you don’t like conference tourneys but they still should be worth more then 1 but less wins then the regular season title.

So what about like 3.5 points for conference title and say... 2.0 for conference tourney title? Or 2.5.

21 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So what about like 3.5 points for conference title and say... 2.0 for conference tourney title? Or 2.5.

How will you normalize for teams in conferences that didn't have a tournament? e.g. B1G prior to 1998, Ivy pre-2017, etc. Maybe double-up by giving the conf regular season winner the tournament winner points, too?

One of the major outlets did something similar to this a couple years ago and fansided did one around 2014. Here are the number they put for each

https://fansided.com/2014/10/21/75-greatest-college-basketball-programs-time-statistically-ranked/

How will you normalize for teams in conferences that didn't have a tournament? e.g. B1G prior to 1998, Ivy pre-2017, etc. Maybe double-up by giving the conf regular season winner the tournament winner points, too?

Well if I just do 20 years, it’ll be after that. And an Ivy League team likely won’t be in the Top 25 anyways.