Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting read with numerous quotes from Kobe King about his departure from Wisconsin.  Not inclined to accept it as 100% factual or necessarily accurate but typically where there's smoke there's a fire.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/kobe-king-cites-continued-unhappiness-with-coach-greg-gard-as/article_02dae339-204e-5788-a891-c03e908d1b0a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

The documented post-departure showings of support for Kobe King from Reuvers, Trice, and Anderson are VERY telling.

Odd for DJ Carton. Depression? Too much pressure? What mental health issues are we talking about?

I’m ignorant, old school, and have a mind like a steel trap so I can’t much empathize with what he could be going through that would make him stop doing something he is excellent at and excelling.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

42 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Seriously?

I don’t want depression or mental health issues hold a kid back from the path he was destined for. What I’m supposed to hope he struggles with this for years until his chance to be at the top of his profession has passed him by?

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Odd for DJ Carton. Depression? Too much pressure? What mental health issues are we talking about?

I’m ignorant, old school, and have a mind like a steel trap so I can’t much empathize with what he could be going through that would make him stop doing something he is excellent at and excelling.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

When someone has mental health issues/depression, the entire foundation of the problem is often the unshakable inability to recognize or process positive aspects to one’s situation.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t want depression or mental health issues hold a kid back from the path he was destined for. What I’m supposed to hope he struggles with this for years until his chance to be at the top of his profession has passed him by?

That’s a completely tone-deaf take that fails to recognize the nature of, and best treatment for the problem.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s a completely tone-deaf take that fails to recognize the nature and best treatment for the problem.

I’m tone deaf for wanting a kid to overcome his issues without letting them hold him back? That literally makes no sense. Am I supposed to want these issues to prevent him from ever playing basketball again?  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m tone deaf for wanting a kid to overcome his issues without letting them hold him back? That literally makes no sense. Am I supposed to want these issues to prevent him from ever playing basketball again?  

That’s not what you said before, and it’s certainly not what I said.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Personally?

I think it is incredibly impressive when someone battles chronic depression. It’s a way harder fight than a b-ball player with a knee injury.

Rooting for you NOLA. Godspeed and stay brave.

Really appreciate it! I’ve had it about 90% under control the last few years or so (especially once I stopped drinking), but it rears its ugly head every now and again. In high school my anxiety was so bad it started affecting me physically, and when I was in Bloomington I’d have trouble going to classes because of it. I’d take a knee injury or whatever that would heal with time over depression and anxiety any day! 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

That is definitely what I said. 

Maybe it’s your word choice Brass; I’m with you that you meant no ill-intent.

What I’m trying to get across is that until Carton gets a handle on, and an effective strategy to deal with his issues, there is NO way he should be advancing to any ‘next level’ 

1 minute ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Really appreciate it! I’ve had it about 90% under control the last few years or so (especially once I stopped drinking), but it rears its ugly head every now and again. In high school my anxiety was so bad it started affecting me physically, and when I was in Bloomington I’d have trouble going to classes because of it. I’d take a knee injury or whatever that would heal with time over depression and anxiety any day! 

I tore my ACL at IU. I have an immediate family member with the kind of stuff you’ve described.

It’s like comparing a BB gun with a nuclear warhead.

I have mental health issues and it sucks. It’s literally a chemical imbalance in the brain, so it’s 100% physical and not something you can just get over. Even if you’re great at something and know deep down you are, serotonin and neurotransmitters and all that kinda stuff mess with you big time. Hope he gets better, it’s no joke.

Right there with you. It’s a rough go daily.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Maybe it’s your word choice Brass; I’m with you that you meant no ill-intent.

What I’m trying to get across is that until Carton gets a handle on, and an effective strategy to deal with his issues, there is NO way he should be advancing to any ‘next level’ 

Agreed he needs to get right. But he’s got to go pro immediately because if he has a second bout of depression no NBA team will use a draft pick on him. And he’s going to even get asked questions about this. Right or wrong it’s going to happen 

Same as a QB that sits to preserve his knee in a meaningless college game. These guys have to protect themselves. The teams don’t care about the person. DJ Carton needs to think about DJ Carton and if he wants an NBA contract get one ASAP