Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Maybe I’m the only one, but until Gonzaga joins a legitimate conference I just don’t think they deserve to be ranked as a top 5 team. I get it. I know they are landing good recruits and Few is a good/great coach. But I’m sorry, when you play 20 games a year against teams like San Francisco and Loyola Marymount, I just don’t believe you earn a top five recognition simply for winning games you should. Even if you beat three good teams in non-conference play, that’s not a proxy for having to compete against 8-10 other top 50 teams week in and week out. But it’s self fulfilling, because they get their 2 seed and this guarantee two easy wins and a sweet sixteen in the dance, and maybe beat one or two respectable teams and make an elite 8 or a final four. Still don’t buy-in based on 75% of their games being against mid-majors every year. Join the PAC-12 or they should be capped at a 4-seed IMHO.
Edit: P.S. I’m old, so I’m probably out of touch, but what is the appeal to a recruit of going to the Zags? Nobody pays any attention to you from December to March. No prime time games, because your conference has no other high profile teams. And you’re playing most of your games after most people are in bed every weekend. Love Few. Love that he made a Cinderella into a destination. But I don’t understand the high ranking and seeding every year, and their ability to get top recruits based on the conference, competition and exposure they lack once real conferences start battling each other. Sorry, rant over. 

Okay.... so how about Gonzaga winning their last 5 by 44, 25, 50, 23 and 33? In those games they were favored by 15, 19, 20, 13.5 and 22.5. That’s beating who you’re supposed to and then some. That’s beating 5 opponents by a combined 175 points. They are 4-1 against Q1 with 2 Q1 games left and 3 more Q2. Doesn’t help them that UNC ended up sucking though as it’s fell to a Q3 win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yea kinda. Not sure if they are quite on Baylor’s level though. They still play one more time so we will see. Baylor handled them at Kansas though.

I would probably take Baylor still but Kansas is 8-3 in Quad 1 and 3-0 in quad 2 games plus they have the number overall SOS and #1 non conference SOS

I would probably take Baylor still but Kansas is 8-3 in Quad 1 and 3-0 in quad 2 games plus they have the number overall SOS and #1 non conference SOS

They have that type of schedule almost every year though. I’d say they are close. Gonzaga is clearly the most dominate if you just go by margin of victory but I think Baylor is the best team right now. The AP seems to have the Top 4 correct.

16 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Okay.... so how about Gonzaga winning their last 5 by 44, 25, 50, 23 and 33? In those games they were favored by 15, 19, 20, 13.5 and 22.5. That’s beating who you’re supposed to and then some. That’s beating 5 opponents by a combined 175 points. They are 4-1 against Q1 with 2 Q1 games left and 3 more Q2. Doesn’t help them that UNC ended up sucking though as it’s fell to a Q3 win.

Fair. So they beat teams by 35 when they were favored by 20. Vegas spreads are just set to try and equal out the action on either side of it for the house. Still this tells you they’re playing really bad teams and beating them really badly. Hypothetically though, what would their record be in conference if they were in the B1G? That should be how they are compared to teams that physically and mentally have to prepare for and play against, a top 50 team twice a week for three months. Maybe they are really that great and they would be 8-1 right now leading the B1G and winning road games no problem. But we can’t know that. And in my opinion, using their performance in the tourney to justify how good they are isn’t equivalent, because of the favorable path they receive as a 1 or 2 seed. I feel similarly about Notre Dame football though. They’re always overrated because of not being in a conference and then get curb stomped in bowl games when they finally play a team that isn’t a military academy. Just stating my thoughts for the sake of conversation. Maybe I am wrong or alone in this, but it’s how I feel. It will continue to be hard for me to respect them playing in such a weak conference. And I will continue to pick them to get upset in the sweet sixteen or elite eight every year when they finally play a top 20 team after not competing against one for 2+ months. 

Fair. So they beat teams by 35 when they were favored by 20. Vegas spreads are just set to try and equal out the action on either side of it for the house. Still this tells you they’re playing really bad teams and beating them really badly. Hypothetically though, what would their record be in conference if they were in the B1G? That should be how they are compared to teams that physically and mentally have to prepare for and play against, a top 50 team twice a week for three months. Maybe they are really that great and they would be 8-1 right now leading the B1G and winning road games no problem. But we can’t know that. And in my opinion, using their performance in the tourney to justify how good they are isn’t equivalent, because of the favorable path they receive as a 1 or 2 seed. I feel similarly about Notre Dame football though. They’re always overrated because of not being in a conference and then get curb stomped in bowl games when they finally play a team tut isn’t a military academy. Just stating my thoughts for the sake of conversation. Maybe I am wrong or alone in this, but it’s how I feel. 

Well I’ll go out on a limb and say they’d probably only have 1 loss depending on their schedule. Maybe. They are much better than anyone in the B1G. Only reason they lose is because of the horrid officiating that has controlled the season.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well I’ll go out on a limb and say they’d probably only have 1 loss depending on their schedule. Maybe. They are much better than anyone in the B1G. Only reason they lose is because of the horrid officiating that has controlled the season.

Respect your opinion, I really do, and enjoy the banter. I just can’t see how they are “much better than anyone in the B1G.” Remember, they lost to Mich by 20. And their best wins are over Oregon by 1 in OT, Washington (who is 2-6 in a weak Pac 12), and Arizona who is 3-3 in the same Pac 12. And the last five blowout wins you noted were against the likes of Pacific, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, San Diego, Portland and BYU. I’m not saying they aren’t talented, and I believe Mark Few is a generationally good coach; but I just feel like their high ranking and annual 1-2 seed isn’t warranted based on the fact that they basically take two months off and play scrimmages until the tournament every year. Just my $0.02. 

Respect your opinion, I really do, and enjoy the banter. I just can’t see how they are “much better than anyone in the B1G.” Remember, they lost to Mich by 20. And their best wins are over Oregon by 1 in OT, Washington (who is 2-6 in a weak Pac 12), and Arizona who is 3-3 in the same Pac 12. And the last five blowout wins you noted were against the likes of Pacific, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, San Diego, Portland and BYU. I’m not saying they aren’t talented, and I believe Mark Few is a generationally good coach; but I just feel like their high ranking and annual 1-2 seed isn’t warranted based on the fact that they basically take two months off and play scrimmages until the tournament every year. Just my $0.02. 

They did lose to Michigan and while Michigan was rolling. Michigan also beaten a healthy UNC the day before. And we saw them jump from unranked to #4. Gonzaga gets a lot of respect because of the past but if you just watch them, they are good and I think they’d be able to win the Big Ten outright. But Gonzaga just seems to be that good now for whatever reason. Mainly due to bigger programs essentially getting worse because of the amount of talent leaving early. Including talent that shouldn’t leave for the draft or transferring.

Apologies USPS, I wasn't able to catch any of the late games.  Slowly getting caught up, only about 2 more weeks of **** to catch up on by Monday.  My brain is so fried I tried to formulate an argument in other threads but only expletives made their way onto the screen.  Thanks for the updates on all the games I missed though!

Go Hoosiers beat the ******* Flight Turg Twerps! 

In an overtime game with only 8 players, Keion got 7 minutes. After his supposed breakout game when Cal got ejected. In his 7 minutes he posted zeros across the stat line. You have to wonder if the 7 minutes was Cal’s revenge for that tweet someone from Keion’s camp posted. Looks like he’s getting pushed out. 

Maybe some of you remember Jahmius Ramsey. He was part of a trio Archie pursued with Kira Lewis and Tre Mann. When I watched him at EYBL I wasn’t real impressed, although he has largely proven me wrong. I think he ended up as the highest ranked recruit ever to go to TT? Anyway not a great game from him either. 

Look how many minutes those Kentucky kids are playing. 

E2446D0B-326A-4FBB-97F6-DDC5D09A299F.png

It’s interesting.

I’ve watched Kentucky play enough to think that they might be a national championship contender. However, they are down to eight scholarship players for the rest of the season. That’s fine for a tournament game rotation.

However, one injury, a ticked off Keion Brooks leaving the program, or foul trouble during a tournament game, and it all falls apart. At this point, if Brooks went to Calipari and said he’s walking from the program unless he gets 20 minutes a game, what would Calipari do? Lol

There’s also a lot of pressure on 19 and 20-year-old kids at Kentucky. And playing every game all game creates a real possibility that their limited roster will wear down.

I guess that’s a pitfall of their model in which every player on the roster expects to be a star with substantial playing time, and therefore they can’t carry too many scholarship players.

It’s interesting.
I’ve watched Kentucky play enough to think that they might be a national championship contender. However, they are down to eight scholarship players for the rest of the season. That’s fine for a tournament game rotation.
However, one injury, a ticked off Keion Brooks leaving the program, or foul trouble during a tournament game, and it all falls apart.
There’s also a lot of pressure on 19 and 20-year-old kids at Kentucky. And playing every game all game creates a real possibility that their limited roster will wear down.
I guess that’s a pitfall of their model in which every player on the roster expects to be a star with substantial playing time, and therefore they can’t carry too many scholarship players.
You really wanted to get that point a across lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s interesting.

However, one injury, a ticked off Keion Brooks leaving the program, or foul trouble during a tournament game, and it all falls apart.

Well and judging by that box score they really have a 6 man rotation that’s pretty thin. My guess they lose 2nd or 3rd game of SEC tourney and go no further than elite eight with that little depth. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierDribbler said:

What did  Keion's camp post? I missed that.

His AAU Coach took a shot at Calipari when Brooks finally got uninterrupted playing time and things went well. Then the next game, yesterday, Brooks went back to very very few minutes.

Watched Brooks miss a wide open alley oop pass when he could have just caught it, gathered his feet and done whatever he wanted to with it.

Kentucky regains possession and hits Richards for an oop same possession.

I’m certain Brooks is all sideways in his head, but he’s getting minutes on a national title contending team. A second weekend team. I’m sure he isn’t as good as those guys getting more minutes. But he IS better than he’s playing now. Cal needs to get him out of his own head.

But honestly, I’m rooting for some vengeful epic collapse.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

In an overtime game with only 8 players, Keion got 7 minutes. After his supposed breakout game when Cal got ejected. In his 7 minutes he posted zeros across the stat line. You have to wonder if the 7 minutes was Cal’s revenge for that tweet someone from Keion’s camp posted. Looks like he’s getting pushed out. 

Maybe some of you remember Jahmius Ramsey. He was part of a trio Archie pursued with Kira Lewis and Tre Mann. When I watched him at EYBL I wasn’t real impressed, although he has largely proven me wrong. I think he ended up as the highest ranked recruit ever to go to TT? Anyway not a great game from him either. 

Look how many minutes those Kentucky kids are playing. 

E2446D0B-326A-4FBB-97F6-DDC5D09A299F.png

A 7 trillion (I’m guessing, without seeing the rest of the line) from a former starter/regular rotation player is probably not good. 

His AAU Coach took a shot at Calipari when Brooks finally got uninterrupted playing time and things went well. Then the next game, yesterday, Brooks went back to very very few minutes.

Brooks will transfer. Where to? No clue. I don’t think Notre Dame would take him.