Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ever since I got into bracketology which was 15 years ago I really stopped paying attention to the AP and coaches polls. I was fortunate enough to go through a mock selection process in Indy and during it that process I learned the Ap and coaches polls have 0 impact on a teams final resume during selection. Most coaches are too busy with their own team to worry about filling out a top 25 poll. Most of the time they have a manager or someone else on staff deal with it. Polls are for the fans and can provide a snapshot of who is playing good at that moment in time but to use it to gauge the 25 best teams would not be wise in my opinion. It makes for good discussion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Makes sense the more I think about it. I tried to do some research but couldn’t find any data - but I’m curious what percentage of teams ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the regular season are given seeds of 6 or better in the tourney. Since the 24 teams with a 6 seed or better would logically be meant as the top 24 teams, I wonder if there’s any correlation or if the polls are a completely useless indicator. I have always operated under the assumption that if you could earn a top 20 ranking in the polls, the likelihood of getting a 4 seed or better followed - which is really the only reason I’ve cared about being ranked come selection Sunday. Have you (or anyone else) seen anything about which rankings most accurately predict seeding? (i.e. KenPom, NET, RPI, AP Poll, etc.)

http://bracketmatrix.com/

This site takes all the bracketology websites and averages them out

Isn’t really one good indicator for predicting seeding. Seeding teams is the hardest part of bracketology by a long shot. Trying to predict what the 10 committee members are thinking can be a challenge. We will get a glimpse of how this committee is going to seed and what things they feel are important when they release their top 16 later on in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So, at what point do we stop caring about the opinions of associated press members for rankings? Why don’t we just move to KenPom or the NET rankings instead? The more I think about it, the more out of touch it seems to use beat-writers as a barometer of the country’s best b-ball teams. Maybe that was reliable in a time before the internet and satellite dishes that allowed just anybody to watch every game played if they wanted. Then I could see AP members having access to game tapes of additional teams than the public and a more informed opinion on rankings; but now we’ve got metrics ranking systems that are unbiased and more comprehensive in comparing teams. Why are we still giving sports writers and coaches that potentially aren’t even seeing as much basketball as some mega fans of the game, be the basis for judging superiority with rankings? UspsHoosier, you may be opening my eyes a bit the last few days, to the irrelevancy of the polls. 

The polls are for TV and entertainment. Something meant to be fun to follow with the ups and downs, who is in and who is out. Most of the time it’s fairly accurate. One person isn’t going to change the AP poll much because there are so many voters.

Chris Holtmann, head coach of the Ohio State men’s basketball team, has suspended sophomore guards Luther Muhammad and Duane Washington Jr. tonight vs. Nebraska for a failure to meet program standards and expectations.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Chris Holtmann, head coach of the Ohio State men’s basketball team, has suspended sophomore guards Luther Muhammad and Duane Washington Jr. tonight vs. Nebraska for a failure to meet program standards and expectations.

whoopsies

I probably missed this somewhere. But what was the reason Duane Washington only played 8 minutes against IU? Just bad play?

I probably missed this somewhere. But what was the reason Duane Washington only played 8 minutes against IU? Just bad play?

Holtmann said he felt that Washington was mentally prepared for the tough road situation and his head wasn’t in it.

He said coaches decision in his press conference.
Kid can shoot it but he is a liability on the defensive end

On 1/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, Uspshoosier said:

Oregon St up 5 early on Zona with 12 min to go in the first. One of the best seniors that no one knows is the beavers Tres Tinkle the coaches son. Really good player that I enjoy to watch

You bring so much to this board.  Thank you for doing that.