Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Hope that’s the MSU team that shows up in Bloomington. 

Michigan State always gets their poopmakers handed to them before they play IU.  Usually it is the game right before they play IU.  I think they prepare extra hard for IU leading up to that game at the expense of the game before.  After we beat them twice last year, it looks like Izzo might be giving up two games this time to prepare for IU.  I do not know for certain, but I would not be surprised if Wisconsin beats them in a few days too, or they at least struggle against Wisconsin.  And then they will come out balls to the wall against IU the game after.  Just a trend I see.

IU needs to be really committed to basketball  and determined now if they want to try to get one of these next two road games and then try to beat State at home the game after.

18 hours ago, BGleas said:

Even if it was just a token press, I was really glad to see Archie bring that back against OSU after it worked so well the last 10 minutes against NW. Sometimes just mixing things up a bit during a game can swing momentum, I just hope we keep doing it because it hasn’t happened often in the Archie era. 

It’s like a football team who’s offense has stalled most of the game, then they come out in a no huddle and it kickstarts everything. 

I absolutely agree with this. It's the coaches responsibility to figure out when to stick with it and when to change it up. 

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

MSU struggles to score too outside of Winston. Most of their other guys are gritty, hard workers but not necessarily, offensive powerhouses.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Very true. Losing Josh Langford again really hurt them. Maybe they win the conference on just the strength of Izzo and Winston, but they're not some 15-3 kind of team. What happened to them yesterday will probably happen again.

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

MSU struggles to score too outside of Winston. Most of their other guys are gritty, hard workers but not necessarily, offensive powerhouses.

They are also very young and inexperienced outside of Winston, Tillman, and Henry (who is a sophomore). Relying on Rocket Watts, Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and Malik Hall has proven difficult for them in bigger games. See duke, Kentucky, Virginia Tech and Purdue. 

After the Duke game their schedule got really easy and they cruised. Everyone thought they had fixed the issues, but still the same team as we saw yesterday. It will be interesting to seem how they get through the schedule now that it gets tougher for them. I still think they are the favorites, but we will see. 

43 minutes ago, Demo said:

Very true. Losing Josh Langford again really hurt them. Maybe they win the conference on just the strength of Izzo and Winston, but they're not some 15-3 kind of team. What happened to them yesterday will probably happen again.

They have by far easiest conference schedule of all the teams that should be in the running.

Big Ten winner might finish with a 14-6 record. Honestly don’t see anybody do better than 15-5

I was thinking about this yesterday. I wonder what the worst winning % for a Big Ten champion has been. With the way the season is going, I kind of expect the conference champion to have 6 conference losses.

At the beginning of the season, I thought there would be a clear upper tier of MSU, UM, and O$U with the talented Maryland squad just behind that group. MSU has a blowout road loss and hasn’t played a difficult schedule. UM has 3 conference losses. O$U has 4 conference losses. Maryland has 2 road losses, one of the blowout variety.

I could see a **** ton of Big Ten teams being right around .500 in conference. It will make for a whacky BTT seeding and tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I was thinking about this yesterday. I wonder what the worst winning % for a Big Ten champion has been. With the way the season is going, I kind of expect the conference champion to have 6 conference losses.

At the beginning of the season, I thought there would be a clear upper tier of MSU, UM, and O$U with the talented Maryland squad just behind that group. MSU has a blowout road loss and hasn’t played a difficult schedule. UM has 3 conference losses. O$U has 4 conference losses. Maryland has 2 road losses, one of the blowout variety.

I could see a **** ton of Big Ten teams being right around .500 in conference. It will make for a whacky BTT seeding and tourney.

Back when there were just 16 B1G games, we tied with Wisconsin and Illinois for the regular-season championship at 11-5 (.688) in 2002. ... Of course, that ended up being a pretty fun season! ... My guess is you'd have to go pretty far back to find a champion(s) with a worse mark than that. 

Just glancing at schedules for the top Big Ten teams I could see 7 total conference losses. However, I really find it difficult to believe that every Big Ten team will end up with, at least, 7 conference losses. This ASSumes the top teams in conference will defend home court.

MSU: (5-1)
@IU
@Minny
@Wiscy
@Mich
@Ill
@Neb
@Mary
@PSU

They got blown out by pu on the road and escaped a bad loss at Northwestern by 5 points. They’ll have to defend home court and then find a way to win 3 on the road. I think they lose @Wiscy, @Mich, @Ill, and @Mary. That leaves @IU, @Minny, @Neb, and @PSU to win those 3 games. I think they win @Neb due to talent and at least a little effort. The next easiest game for them is @IU. We beat them twice last season so they’ll have more than a little motivation to get those back. It comes down to being able to beat Minny and PSU on the road. I think they find a way to win one and get to 14-6 to win the conference.

That’s still pretty crazy that they’ll likely have to beat two of three bubble teams to win the conference with 6 losses.

Maryland: (3-2)
@Wiscy
@NW
@IU
@Ill
@MSU
@O$U
@Minny
@Rut

Like MSU, Maryland will have to defend home court and then go .500 or better to finish with less that 7 losses. They’ve lost @PSU and were blown out @Iowa. Where do they find 4 wins on the road? I have them losing @Wiscy, @MSU, and @O$U. They’ll need to win four of five against @NW, @IU, @Ill, @Minny, and @Rut. I can see them winning @NW. I’m not seeing 3 more wins in the @IU, @Ill, @Minny, and @Rut.

Probably going to be a ghost town in here tonight. I guess there is a championship football game tonight

We got Loyola(md)/ Boston U tonight. A chance to see Guyton on the sidelines for Loyola as an assistant

10 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

So, at what point do we stop caring about the opinions of associated press members for rankings? Why don’t we just move to KenPom or the NET rankings instead? The more I think about it, the more out of touch it seems to use beat-writers as a barometer of the country’s best b-ball teams. Maybe that was reliable in a time before the internet and satellite dishes that allowed just anybody to watch every game played if they wanted. Then I could see AP members having access to game tapes of additional teams than the public and a more informed opinion on rankings; but now we’ve got metrics ranking systems that are unbiased and more comprehensive in comparing teams. Why are we still giving sports writers and coaches that potentially aren’t even seeing as much basketball as some mega fans of the game, be the basis for judging superiority with rankings? UspsHoosier, you may be opening my eyes a bit the last few days, to the irrelevancy of the polls. 

So, at what point do we stop caring about the opinions of associated press members for rankings? Why don’t we just move to KenPom or the NET rankings instead? The more I think about it, the more out of touch it seems to use beat-writers as a barometer of the country’s best b-ball teams. Maybe that was reliable in a time before the internet and satellite dishes that allowed just anybody to watch every game played if they wanted. Then I could see AP members having access to game tapes of additional teams than the public and a more informed opinion on rankings; but now we’ve got metrics ranking systems that are unbiased and more comprehensive in comparing teams. Why are we still giving sports writers and coaches that potentially aren’t even seeing as much basketball as some mega fans of the game, be the basis for judging superiority with rankings? UspsHoosier, you may be opening my eyes a bit the last few days, to the irrelevancy of the polls. 

Ever since I got into bracketology which was 15 years ago I really stopped paying attention to the AP and coaches polls. I was fortunate enough to go through a mock selection process in Indy and during it that process I learned the Ap and coaches polls have 0 impact on a teams final resume during selection. Most coaches are too busy with their own team to worry about filling out a top 25 poll. Most of the time they have a manager or someone else on staff deal with it. Polls are for the fans and can provide a snapshot of who is playing good at that moment in time but to use it to gauge the 25 best teams would not be wise in my opinion. It makes for good discussion