Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The NBA is trying to combat the contract negotiations thing. Obviously you can’t do anything about two players saying they want to play with each other. That’s just private conversation you can’t control. But an organization shouldn’t know anything about that. It’s a very tricky thing to deal with but the NBA knows it is happening and are trying to do something. They aren’t as lazy as the NCAA thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No the NBA wants to be perceived as doing something. They have to approve these deals. When they get the contract at 12:05 in the morning. Do they ask questions. Hell no. 

And yes the NBA absolutely could do something about two players deciding to team up. Progressive kickers for each max level deal given out by a team that didn’t resign the player. Paying all players out of a single fun from one state so that the teams can’t sell a lower income tax. They aren’t doing crap 

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Who woulda thought that blatant favoritism/cheating that benefits only 20% of the NBA/Major conference teams would have repercussions like turning fans of the 80% off not to mention casuals that are tired of seeing the same things every year. 

Not sure how what has happened lately demonstrates seeing the same things every year.  Toronto won the title last year.  The twelve teams right now that have the best records in the NBA are Milwaukee, LA Lakers, Boston, Miami, Denver, LA Clippers, Houston, Toronto, Philly, Dallas, Indiana, and Utah.  Seems like a pretty mixed bag of big market and small market.  

I truly think the breaking up of the Big East has hurt college basketball more than anyone thinks. Some people here will say college basketball is amazing how it is this year because they’d say everything is okay while sitting in their house that’s on fire. But that breakup was huge. The Big Ten and SEC adding teams really hurt too. Cuse, UofL, UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincy should have went and built their own conference. Took Rutgers and Maryland with them. Along with 3-4 bottom feeders.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4e74WS7mGumECXh5A
Or they will say college basketball is amazing because you know some people actually think it’s amazing each and every year. Probably not going to find a lot of people that want to trash college basketball in a thread dedicated to college basketball

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Not sure how what has happened lately demonstrates seeing the same things every year.  Toronto won the title last year.  The twelve teams right now that have the best records in the NBA are Milwaukee, LA Lakers, Boston, Miami, Denver, LA Clippers, Houston, Toronto, Philly, Dallas, Indiana, and Utah.  Seems like a pretty mixed bag of big market and small market.  

I don’t care about regular season. Pacers had the best record a few years ago. Didn’t stop the phantom calls for wade and LeBron in the playoffs. Let’s see who wins it this year.

But my point stands in the last 35 years only 11 different teams have won a finals. With at least 3 being one offs. In the same time span you had 20 different MLB teams win it. And 16 NFL teams with a Super Bowl. 

I’m not a fan of conference additions, such as Rutgers and MD in the BT, but how do you think your conference with the Cuse, ND, Pitt, UConn, and bottom feeders would change college bball? To me that sounds like a “shrug your shoulders” type of conference until tourney time.

It changes it by having more teams with a better opportunity to succeed. UConn was screwed with the move to the AAC. Cuse and Pitt each had their honeymoon in the ACC but it seems that ACC Ball isn’t for them and they’ve fallen and getting lost. You can’t just add a bunch of good teams and expect them all to continue being great because some has to lose. Think after 2013 of having a conference lead by Syracuse, UConn, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Cincinnati and Louisville.

No the NBA wants to be perceived as doing something. They have to approve these deals. When they get the contract at 12:05 in the morning. Do they ask questions. Hell no. 

And yes the NBA absolutely could do something about two players deciding to team up. Progressive kickers for each max level deal given out by a team that didn’t resign the player. Paying all players out of a single fun from one state so that the teams can’t sell a lower income tax. They aren’t doing crap 

I don’t think many players think about income taxes. Or else you’d see more going to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Miami and Orlando. I’m not sure the NBA has enough rules in place to do anything about contracts that come in so early. I think they know and I think they want to do something, but at the same time, they wanted Kyrie and Durant in Brooklyn because of the market. But even now, the big things sold are LA and NY and their income taxes are ridiculous. They can only do so much about so many things in their control. They have a set salary cap with a luxury tax. But the teams that have been best the last decade have been San Antonio, Miami, Cleveland, Golden State and a mix of Indiana, Milwaukee, Denver, Houston, Atlanta, Memphis, Clippers and a couple others. Lakers, Knicks and Nets sucked for a lot of the last decade.

I don’t care about regular season. Pacers had the best record a few years ago. Didn’t stop the phantom calls for wade and LeBron in the playoffs. Let’s see who wins it this year.
But my point stands in the last 35 years only 11 different teams have won a finals. With at least 3 being one offs. In the same time span you had 20 different MLB teams win it. And 16 NFL teams with a Super Bowl. 

Those two sports also don’t have the same type of continuity and consistency as basketball does. Baseball and football have way more variables to throw in compared to the NBA.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4e74WS7mGumECXh5A
Or they will say college basketball is amazing because you know some people actually think it’s amazing each and every year. Probably not going to find a lot of people that want to trash college basketball in a thread dedicated to college basketball

Some of us can enjoy it and still be objective enough to understand it’s not a great product because of several factors. Whether it be the one and done rule continuing to take its toll, kids being more encouraged to leave early, conference realignment, the increase in transfers, no great teams, big time programs like Indiana, UCLA or UNC not being great, the shoe scandal etc. It’s been spiraling over the years. Just part of it as the talent leaves and things. Eventually it’ll plateau.

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Those numbers -- 11 different NBA teams, 16 different NFL teams, 20 different MLB teams -- IMO are in no small part reflective of how much a single player can influence the outcomes of those games.  I don't disagree about the phantom calls in the playoffs, but If we go back to the 1960s before free agency, it was much worse -- Celtics winning 11 of 13 at one point. 

The one great aberration was the Spurs run where the Spurs winning multiple titles really wasn't what was 'good for business'.....

Believe me, I'm not trying to defend the NBA game.......it's not a product I particularly find entertaining to watch.

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

With the amount of money on the table in endorsement deals, I wouldn't say that anything done at the team salary level would do much.  Klay Thompson being third fiddle during Golden State's run gave him a lot more in endorsements than he would have gotten being first fiddle in Sacremento.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

With the amount of money on the table in endorsement deals, I wouldn't say that anything done at the team salary level would do much.  Klay Thompson being third fiddle during Golden State's run gave him a lot more in endorsements than he would have gotten being first fiddle in Sacremento.

That’s a pretty extreme example. And comparing apples to oranges. First versus third fiddle.

Look and Bosh and LeBron they took discounts to help the heat sign players. But in reality even after the discount their take home was the same that any team outside of Florida and Texas could offer. 

They offer the same take home with a lower salary cap hit. San Antonio benefitted the same way. The Spurs core gave discounts but in reality only a handful of teams could offer them more money. 

It’s no coincidence that 4 of these 5 have won a title. While the rest of the league it’s 7 of 25.  In the last 35 years that is. 

Some of us can enjoy it and still be objective enough to understand it’s not a great product because of several factors. Whether it be the one and done rule continuing to take its toll, kids being more encouraged to leave early, conference realignment, the increase in transfers, no great teams, big time programs like Indiana, UCLA or UNC not being great, the shoe scandal etc. It’s been spiraling over the years. Just part of it as the talent leaves and things. Eventually it’ll plateau.

Best post you’ve had. It’s true. I love college basketball. I love Indiana basketball even more. The talent isn’t what it used to be. You have better athletes and less developed skills in general.

The games still result in dramatics and my rooting interest is high, so it all works out. Hoping the one and done rule change will help some. But overseas and G league are and will be trying to pick off the best talent.

The cheating stuff has soured me quite a bit, but mostly because Indiana hasn’t been competitive during that stretch.

Best post you’ve had. It’s true. I love college basketball. I love Indiana basketball even more. The talent isn’t what it used to be. You have better athletes and less developed skills in general.

The games still result in dramatics and my rooting interest is high, so it all works out. Hoping the one and done rule change will help some. But overseas and G league are and will be trying to pick off the best talent.

The cheating stuff has soured me quite a bit, but mostly because Indiana hasn’t been competitive during that stretch.

It’ll always have those great dramatic finishes and upsets. I think it’ll plateau here in a few years when the NBA’s new age requirement changes. You’ll likely be seeing the Top 10 recruits not going to college. And once every team in the league has a G-League affiliate, you’ll see more leave as a farm system is truly created and players can earn 100K+ by just playing in the GLeague. So we’d be looking at guys who are 30th being the “#1” recruit in an odd type of way. I think you’ll still get your top 20 guys and maybe even Top 10 who commit to a college team and play but it’ll be half or less of what you see now probably. But at the same time those guys will be staying 2 seasons. So you’re going to see more continuity among basically every school as kids stay for at 2 seasons. Which is completely fine. It’s not going to hurt the college game because if it’s loyal fan base for so many programs. But with that, you’re going to see less talent. I think the product is getting worse just because of how little continuity there seems to be around the nation because of OAD’s and transfers. As you have a few less committing to college I think you’ll see less transferring as well. And a by-product of less transferring will be a better product because of continuity. Everything goes up and down, and right now we are just in a down and it’ll go back up naturally as things change for the better.

35 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Everything goes up and down, and right now we are just in a down and it’ll go back up naturally as things change for the better.

THIS. It's the natural order of things to ebb and flow. When the rules change, we are gonna see awesome things again like player development for 4 years, which made the college game so interesting in the first place. In regards to IU, being a dominant program for two whole decades then pretty much irrelevant for two whole decades, something's bound to swing back the other way soon.

Also UofL-pUKe game tonight...who else is rooting for Rupp to spontaneously combust due to decades of bad energy finally destroying itself?

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Everything goes up and down. I’m sure boxing and horse racing are just waiting for the next up. 

I don't know, horse racing is pretty much all anyone talks about down here in April-May. But then again, it is Kentucky.

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Matt Haarms is back on the court just 13 days after smashing the back of his head on the floor at Nebraska.

Purdue's concussion protocol must be a lot different than ours.

That coif Haarms has is also the equivalent of wearing 3 helmets.