Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

What does a top 25 team look like this year?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Any team in the range of 15-45 could all pass for a fringe top 25 team. No real separation and you could easily make an argument for teams to be in or out and many shouldn’t have a problem with it. Personally for me doing bracketology I don’t really pay too much attention to the AP. Last ap poll that came out some guy had Virginia still in the top 10 after a home loss to South Carolina and 0 wins against Ken Pom top 35 teams. AP is for the fans but using it as a tool to determine the top 25 teams, no thanks for me

Evansville Courier & Press  -

UE places Walter McCarty on leave for alleged Title IX violations

The University of Evansville has placed men's basketball coach Walter McCarty on administrative leave pending an investigation into alleged violations of the university's Title IX policy, according to a news release issued Friday afternoon.

UE received reports about McCarty's off-court behavior, including an incident that appeared to violate its Title IX policy. 

"The University has received reports of unwelcome conduct by Coach McCarty since his arrival in March 2018," UE President Chris Pietruszkiewicz wrote in an internal letter to staff. "We have counseled him about his behavior. In the last two weeks, the University received a troubling report about Coach McCarty’s interactions with a member of the campus community. We have placed Coach McCarty on leave while that incident is being investigated."

The investigation will be conducted by a national law firm. UE will make a fair and informed decision on McCarty's status based on the results of the investigation, the university said. At this time, UE said it does not intend to publicly discuss or disclose any specific details related to the investigation.

Bennie Seltzer will serve as interim head coach of the men's basketball team, which will resume play with its Missouri Valley Conference opener on Tuesday at Missouri State. Seltzer previously served as head coach of Samford and held assistant coaching positions at the Oklahoma, Marquette, Indiana and Washington State.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Evansville Courier & Press  -

UE places Walter McCarty on leave for alleged Title IX violations

The University of Evansville has placed men's basketball coach Walter McCarty on administrative leave pending an investigation into alleged violations of the university's Title IX policy, according to a news release issued Friday afternoon.

UE received reports about McCarty's off-court behavior, including an incident that appeared to violate its Title IX policy. 

"The University has received reports of unwelcome conduct by Coach McCarty since his arrival in March 2018," UE President Chris Pietruszkiewicz wrote in an internal letter to staff. "We have counseled him about his behavior. In the last two weeks, the University received a troubling report about Coach McCarty’s interactions with a member of the campus community. We have placed Coach McCarty on leave while that incident is being investigated."

The investigation will be conducted by a national law firm. UE will make a fair and informed decision on McCarty's status based on the results of the investigation, the university said. At this time, UE said it does not intend to publicly discuss or disclose any specific details related to the investigation.

Bennie Seltzer will serve as interim head coach of the men's basketball team, which will resume play with its Missouri Valley Conference opener on Tuesday at Missouri State. Seltzer previously served as head coach of Samford and held assistant coaching positions at the Oklahoma, Marquette, Indiana and Washington State.

Well THAT's disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well THAT's disappointing.

And disturbing that the tone of this quote from the UE President doesn't sound like it's a first incident.  "The University has received reports of unwelcome conduct by Coach McCarty since his arrival in March 2018," UE President Chris Pietruszkiewicz wrote in an internal letter to staff. "We have counseled him about his behavior.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

CBSSports put out an article kind of explaining why college basketball is down. I think there is an easy explanation as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No high profile OADs, no OADs who are good enough to leave but stay 3-4 years, bloated OOC schedule, conference realignment, non-marquee programs are becoming the new face of college b-ball,  etc. The NBA is down as well, which may say something about the viewing public’s interest in basketball itself right now. 

13 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

No high profile OADs, no OADs who are good enough to leave but stay 3-4 years, bloated OOC schedule, conference realignment, non-marquee programs are becoming the new face of college b-ball,  etc. The NBA is down as well, which may say something about the viewing public’s interest in basketball itself right now. 

Who woulda thought that blatant favoritism/cheating that benefits only 20% of the NBA/Major conference teams would have repercussions like turning fans of the 80% off not to mention casuals that are tired of seeing the same things every year. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Who woulda thought that blatant favoritism/cheating that benefits only 20% of the NBA/Major conference teams would have repercussions like turning fans of the 80% off not to mention casuals that are tired of seeing the same things every year. 

I watched my first NBA action over Christmas. I get the favoritism part but what blatant cheating has occurred? I’m not into the NBA at all but I may have missed what you’re referring to.

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

I watched my first NBA action over Christmas. I get the favoritism part but what blatant cheating has occurred? I’m not into the NBA at all but I may have missed what you’re referring to.

Contracts negotiated in 30 seconds after teams are open to talk with opposing players for starters. Granted all teams do it. 

Id argue league mandated coddling of certain stars is akin to cheating. 

Contracts negotiated in 30 seconds after teams are open to talk with opposing players for starters. Granted all teams do it. 

Id argue league mandated coddling of certain stars is akin to cheating. 

The NBA is trying to combat the contract negotiations thing. Obviously you can’t do anything about two players saying they want to play with each other. That’s just private conversation you can’t control. But an organization shouldn’t know anything about that. It’s a very tricky thing to deal with but the NBA knows it is happening and are trying to do something. They aren’t as lazy as the NCAA thankfully.

I truly think the breaking up of the Big East has hurt college basketball more than anyone thinks. Some people here will say college basketball is amazing how it is this year because they’d say everything is okay while sitting in their house that’s on fire. But that breakup was huge. The Big Ten and SEC adding teams really hurt too. Cuse, UofL, UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincy should have went and built their own conference. Took Rutgers and Maryland with them. Along with 3-4 bottom feeders.

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I truly think the breaking up of the Big East has hurt college basketball more than anyone thinks. Some people here will say college basketball is amazing how it is this year because they’d say everything is okay while sitting in their house that’s on fire. But that breakup was huge. The Big Ten and SEC adding teams really hurt too. Cuse, UofL, UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincy should have went and built their own conference. Took Rutgers and Maryland with them. Along with 3-4 bottom feeders.

I’m not a fan of conference additions, such as Rutgers and MD in the BT, but how do you think your conference with the Cuse, ND, Pitt, UConn, and bottom feeders would change college bball? To me that sounds like a “shrug your shoulders” type of conference until tourney time.